Type R vs WRX STI

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend is in the market for a new car, after he got some income coming in and his old car is 13 years old and is starting to develop problems slowly. So he wanted to test out a new WRX STI. He's not too experienced with driving stick, but thankfully, I accompanied him because hanging out with him is fun and test driving cars with him is even more fun.

The WRX STI is a fucking beast. Let me get that right out of the way first. This car is ferocious. In sport sharp mode, the throttle response is downright violent. It feels so mechanical and old school. When they say it's a rally car built for the streets, they aren't joking. The shifter is so much notchier compared to my Type R was. The clutch is brutally heavy, and the engagement point is unforgiving. I didn't stall which is a complete shock, but my friend couldn't even get the poor thing off the line. One shocking thing I will say is the ride didn't feel as bad as people said it was. Maybe it was the seats, I dunno.

The Type R is, objectively, a much better car. And I can say that as a daily driver, the Type R kicks the STIs ass. The Subaru is just a much harder car to drive when you aren't pounding it around. And when you pound it around, your fuel economy is downright abysmal.

HOWEVER...

After driving the STI, and this is hard to admit, I think that, if this was a purely secondary car, I would prefer the Subaru. Here's why. The way the STI drives is downright mental. When you are driving it like it was meant to be, it is the most adrenaline filled experience I've had. The way the car puts down power is intoxicating. You mash the throttle and the engine violently responds, and you feel it. The car doesn't do anything for you. It's unforgiving. The people who daily this thing gain a respect point from me, because I would not do it.

The Type R is far, far, FAR better as a daily and so much easier to live with. The clutch is far more forgiving, and a lot of the violentness of the Subaru is tuned out which makes the drive way more relaxing. However, the Type R still rips around corners with authority. The only thing the Subaru can do better is throw power down. If you mash the gas at low speed in the Type R, the only thing you'll succeed at doing is spinning the wheels. The STI has none of those issues. Hit the gas and so long as you are driving it like a maniac, it will take off.

What this made me realize is that the Type R is such a well rounded car, and it's so much easier to live with than some of the alternatives. However, that AWD system in the Subaru is just hilarious when you are driving it hard and for that, if I already had a reasonable daily driver... I'd take the Subaru.

But since I'm dirt poor as is, between this two cars as a daily I'd take the Type R because driving the STI daily would be the most miserable experience in my eyes.

My friend enjoyed me struggling in the STI BTW. Needless to say I don't think he will buy this one. :p

tldr: Type R for a daily, STI for a secondary fun car

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs WRX STI Ei2wgfzXkAAfdgu
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Definitely love the old-school/analogness of the STI, it is certainly more focused in what it wants to be than the Type-R, which is certainly a better all-rounder, as you say. I'm curious, how are dealers pricing the STI? Can you find one for under MSRP or do they try and pull that 'special car' crap like the CTR and hike the price?

hang729

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I had the same situation but went for the type r because of a few points.
- Better gas (25-26mpg avg. in nyc, 30+ on hw), if this is your daily, you will definitely say thanks
- Better cargo space
- It catches more eye attention
- More reliable (it’s a honda)

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely love the old-school/analogness of the STI, it is certainly more focused in what it wants to be than the Type-R, which is certainly a better all-rounder, as you say. I'm curious, how are dealers pricing the STI? Can you find one for under MSRP or do they try and pull that 'special car' crap like the CTR and hike the price?
These had no markup from what I could tell. You can probably find one for under MSRP by a few thousand.

I had the same situation but went for the type r because of a few points.
- Better gas (25-26mpg avg. in nyc, 30+ on hw), if this is your daily, you will definitely say thanks
- Better cargo space
- It catches more eye attention
- More reliable (it’s a honda)
Yeah, I agree on all points. Although the Subie might catch attention because that boxer rumble is intoxicating sounding.

hang729

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
These had no markup from what I could tell. You can probably find one for under MSRP by a few thousand.

Yeah, I agree on all points. Although the Subie might catch attention because that boxer rumble is intoxicating sounding.
thats true too.
But you get more attention because of the styling generally.
One point forgot to add was the comfort mode in type r. Your family will not complain the ride. Huge plus for me.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
STI's are great cars, but definitely a bit dated now as the platform and engine goes. CTR is no doubt a better daily all around. Wonder how the next gen STI is going to be, that's the real game changer.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Drove a Series White STI recently, and I absolutely loathed the shifter on that car. It's super rubbery, and I could swear that the "gates" for 3rd and 4th are way closer to 1st and 2nd than they are to 5th and 6th. I enjoyed the quick ratio, stiff steering rack, but was surprised by how little feedback I got from the tires. The power curve felt a bit underwhelming, and the seating position was much higher than I expected. Overall I was comfortable, but somewhat bored.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If Subaru can maintain the raw feel in the new STI while modernizing their interior and engine, they'll have a hit on their hands. But I'm skeptical.

Tabaresu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 PMM Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah have to agree with you. Hopefully we get some news shortly... The new cars being unveiled lately is literally what is keeping me going these days!

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
My friend is in the market for a new car, after he got some income coming in and his old car is 13 years old and is starting to develop problems slowly. So he wanted to test out a new WRX STI. He's not too experienced with driving stick, but thankfully, I accompanied him because hanging out with him is fun and test driving cars with him is even more fun.

The WRX STI is a fucking beast. Let me get that right out of the way first. This car is ferocious. In sport sharp mode, the throttle response is downright violent. It feels so mechanical and old school. When they say it's a rally car built for the streets, they aren't joking. The shifter is so much notchier compared to my Type R was. The clutch is brutally heavy, and the engagement point is unforgiving. I didn't stall which is a complete shock, but my friend couldn't even get the poor thing off the line. One shocking thing I will say is the ride didn't feel as bad as people said it was. Maybe it was the seats, I dunno.

The Type R is, objectively, a much better car. And I can say that as a daily driver, the Type R kicks the STIs ass. The Subaru is just a much harder car to drive when you aren't pounding it around. And when you pound it around, your fuel economy is downright abysmal.

HOWEVER...

After driving the STI, and this is hard to admit, I think that, if this was a purely secondary car, I would prefer the Subaru. Here's why. The way the STI drives is downright mental. When you are driving it like it was meant to be, it is the most adrenaline filled experience I've had. The way the car puts down power is intoxicating. You mash the throttle and the engine violently responds, and you feel it. The car doesn't do anything for you. It's unforgiving. The people who daily this thing gain a respect point from me, because I would not do it.

The Type R is far, far, FAR better as a daily and so much easier to live with. The clutch is far more forgiving, and a lot of the violentness of the Subaru is tuned out which makes the drive way more relaxing. However, the Type R still rips around corners with authority. The only thing the Subaru can do better is throw power down. If you mash the gas at low speed in the Type R, the only thing you'll succeed at doing is spinning the wheels. The STI has none of those issues. Hit the gas and so long as you are driving it like a maniac, it will take off.

What this made me realize is that the Type R is such a well rounded car, and it's so much easier to live with than some of the alternatives. However, that AWD system in the Subaru is just hilarious when you are driving it hard and for that, if I already had a reasonable daily driver... I'd take the Subaru.

But since I'm dirt poor as is, between this two cars as a daily I'd take the Type R because driving the STI daily would be the most miserable experience in my eyes.

My friend enjoyed me struggling in the STI BTW. Needless to say I don't think he will buy this one. :p

tldr: Type R for a daily, STI for a secondary fun car

Ei2wgfzXkAAfdgu.jpg

Best learn to build your own Subaru engines. They can get quite pricy and when they fail, which they do, you won't like Subarus anymore. LOL

FYI, I love Subarus.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with you and you are on point with your observations. Had a 2016 STI before, it almost killed my left knee from using the clutch (granted I'm older than most). Secondary car is ok, but the Sti is not meant to be a secondary like say an MX-5. Its meant to be driven everyday being a four door but I don't think you will enjoy it everyday as you mentioned. Plus if we complain of the Type-R's audio being outdated. Talk about the STI's engine being outdated.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I almost bought an STI before my R, but I just didnt feel comfortable with it. The EJ is a dinosaur aged motor with tiny revisions here and there, but ultimately, if I didnt have $3K set aside for a new short block, I dont think id buy one.

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
ive lost count on how many times i've beat a subaru on 40-60 rolls. I did lose to one on a twisty. Most of the subarus in my area are only FBO no upgraded turbo, fuel system (basically a stage 1). i'm the only one with a 10th gen Civic SI with a garrett in my area. I would prefer anything honda over subaru for track and street use. Subaru is only good for rally racing and on the track, but then again Mitsubishi and the Civic Type R has proven to beat them on the track too :p

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Nice write up. I've wanted the STI for years, decades really at this point. I don't have the money or the garage space to have both the CTR and the STI, but I long to one day own both.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
The sti has old world charm. Mechanical feel, turbo lag and awd understeer.
its not a bad car but everyone else has long moved on from that time.

my brother had an impreza wrx sti from japan. 2 door and sexy. But a real tin can.
When i hear people say the type r is a tin can they have no idea. Haha
Sponsored