VicVal01

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Im going to add a different perspective. I think the si is a more enjoyable car than the type r. The type r is absolutely better than the si in every category minus mpg. The amount of engineering that went into it is amazing. Everything was accounted for. They even managed to almost eliminate torque steer on a high power fwd car.

That being said, its almost too perfect. You can try to add more stiffness or make suspension improvements, but its already so good that you probably wont see much improvement. You can add more power but it already makes plenty and kinda seems like you’re changing its purpose from a track monster to a drag car.

An si is a good starting platform, but definitely room for improvement and you will actually notice the changes! Its a great car to get into modding as parts are relatively cheap, and theres alot more things that need improvement. It makes the car feel more yours. When i was a kid playing Forza 3 on xbox 360, i hated using the hyper cars because they were already so fast that there wasnt much left to be done to it. It was much more fun taking a slow beater car and changing every part and watching it get faster and faster. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 17 sedan (LX) I miss it some times for what it was a great economical little car.
Now my 2019 TYP SI love it! Love the coupe the body the shape the number of doors is perfect not two many! I've modded it and feel I have a better understanding of the car and love it even more then when I bought it.
64000km in 2 years and I still will just stare at it from my window and drive around for photos. Glad I got the color, year, and body style I did. Definitely a coupe guy have been since my 08 exl V6 accord.
I've got the knowledge and experience that came from the work if done so far.

Do I wish I had a typeR? Yes.
To I regret not just getting one as I've spent now that I could have bought one? No
I also would have modded the R. So compare msrp dose little for me.

They're both great cars. And I like the work I've done and the car I've built. But in no way is it a type r.

But it's a hot little coupe. No denying.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Vs Si 20210815_082646

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Vs Si 20210812_205309

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Vs Si 20210812_083452

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the R does fine in 6th on the highway when you need to pass. Mash pedal and it vrooms.
Exactly sir, the gearing is such that you are cruising at a minimum of 2500rpm up there, so flooring it does not lug the engine. I was referring to the reason Honda does this, which is because if the engine was sitting about 1500rpm and you mash the pedal, it not go vroom. It go boom.

Lol, not right away obviously but my point was that you can do this with the R due to the gearing.

Don't you mean, so that non-intelligent people don't do that? I've driven manual like 3 times in my life and absolutely loved it, but even a noob like me knows, you downshift for a reason... top gear in most cars is usually Overdrive and is only meant to maintain a set speed, not increase it. Have to downshift to 5th or even 4th depending on the car to pass someone. But yes I see your point there.
Yes lol, the sarcasm was strong there. But as mentioned above you really don't even need to downshift with the R on the highway.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having put 52,000 miles on a '17 SI and now 13,000 on an '18 Type R....the Type R all the way.

Why?

Si advantages: Sunroof/moon roof, heated seats, room for five instead of four adults, and longer tire wear, and better mileage.

Type R advantages: Everything else.

And I am getting almost 27 mpg combined on the Type R. So not terrible. Insurance did not even go up! Go figure.

Other than tires, not sure the maintenance is much more on a Type R.

Both the Si and Type R are great cars. One is just ...greater.

Before the electronic zombie appliances take over...buy one if / when you can.

I had to wait three years for my Type R, Not sorry at all. The SI is way better than just a consolation prize, it is a rock star in its own right. But the Type R is the legend.

Let's put it this way. A special edition of the Mini Cooper, with no rear seat, just barely took the fwd record at VIR from the FK8 by a few tenths. I would still rather have the Honda all day long. And so would you. Other manufacturers - looking at you Mini and Renault - have to tie themselves in knots and cheat like crazy to get the results that Honda gets with a stock, useable car. That should tell you just how good the CTR is.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Forgot one overlooked difference...two actually...in the SI's favor...it has a several foot shorter turning circle than the Type R, and slightly more ground clearance. .

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've owned an Honda Civic Si since the year 2000. It was an electron blue pearl Si and my first love. Since then almost every iteration of the Honda Civic Si has been a volunteer to take the empty spot in my garge. 2000 was my 2nd favorite, my very top choice would be when I picked up my 2006 coupe that would later turn into my 2009 sedan Si. In other words, I've always been a Huge fan of the civic and up until the FK8 the Si was the best civic you could buy. I always envied the people who purred down the street in there civic type Rs in Japan and other lucky countries that got the car. I always told myself, If I ever get the chance, I'm going to buy one, a real genuine civic type R.

I always modded my Si's and to be frank, I loved all my Si's. I'd say the best compact sports cars for the money that you could purchase. With that being said, thank you Honda for bringing the FK8 to the north american shores. I can go as far as say I still miss my Si's from the past, but when I'm behind the wheel of my Type R, most of my thoughts poosh like the air going through the blow off valve when I let go of the gas. i Love this CTR and always will treasure it.

my 2 pesos

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I'd say the best compact sports cars for the money that you could purchase.
Yeah - for me, this is what it boiled down to. I could afford a CTR, and I'm certain I'd love it - but in terms of sheer value, the Si simply can't be beaten. I paid under $24k, and the extra >$10k the CTR would've cost just didn't make sense to me at the time.

They're both terrific cars, and I too am glad that Honda finally gave North American customers the choice. It's nice to have options. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've owned an Honda Civic Si since the year 2000. It was an electron blue pearl Si and my first love. Since then almost every iteration of the Honda Civic Si has been a volunteer to take the empty spot in my garge. 2000 was my 2nd favorite, my very top choice would be when I picked up my 2006 coupe that would later turn into my 2009 sedan Si. In other words, I've always been a Huge fan of the civic and up until the FK8 the Si was the best civic you could buy. I always envied the people who purred down the street in there civic type Rs in Japan and other lucky countries that got the car. I always told myself, If I ever get the chance, I'm going to buy one, a real genuine civic type R.

I always modded my Si's and to be frank, I loved all my Si's. I'd say the best compact sports cars for the money that you could purchase. With that being said, thank you Honda for bringing the FK8 to the north american shores. I can go as far as say I still miss my Si's from the past, but when I'm behind the wheel of my Type R, most of my thoughts poosh like the air going through the blow off valve when I let go of the gas. i Love this CTR and always will treasure it.

my 2 pesos
Before I got the Type R, the 10th gen SI that proceeded it was my all time favorite car. Even having driven some fun cars in the past.
I am old enough to have at least been in the original CRX and CVCC, the latter with the son of a professional racing driver. My friend in that 70's Honda CVCC was able to drift it around hairpin turns at 80-90 mph, when even the best set up sports cars in the area could not top 50. This was in El Paso, TX. No it was not modified, bone stock, but broken in perfectly and revved to the moon. So I always wanted a Honda of my own, and in 2017 got my wish. In 2020 got my FK8.
Enjoy your '21, let me know what it's like to have a volume knob two piece brakes and better suspension software. I am good with my '18, but curious.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I’m a slut for my TYP Si as well. I’ve gotten so many head states driving this thing. Up until this summer it was 100% stock. It makes me laugh every time I saw someone stare at it driving by.
mine regret. 2 doors are no fun with a rear facing car seat for my 1 year old. I’m 2019 I wasn’t exactly imagining having another baby.

Last edited:

natethegreat

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R / Ap1 S2000
Country flag
Owned both now.

Si pros:
14,500 cheaper, 36mpg average, heated seats, sunroof, don't have to worry about potholes, less time between fill ups, blindspot camera.

Si cons:
No hatch, significantly slower especially in cornering speed, have to floor it to gain speed, turbo lag seems slower, rev hang last longer, gearbox feels a bit cheaper in my opinion, clutch softer and more travel.

R pros:
Faster in every aspect, interior more premium feeling, less rev hang, gearbox feels shorter and perceived easier engagement, you'll get compliments, brakes bite harder, enjoyment of day to day driving is nicer, you'll compete with about any car on the backroads sub 100k.

R cons:
more likely to get a speeding ticket

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I had a 17 sedan (LX) I miss it some times for what it was a great economical little car.
Now my 2019 TYP SI love it! Love the coupe the body the shape the number of doors is perfect not two many! I've modded it and feel I have a better understanding of the car and love it even more then when I bought it.
64000km in 2 years and I still will just stare at it from my window and drive around for photos. Glad I got the color, year, and body style I did. Definitely a coupe guy have been since my 08 exl V6 accord.
I've got the knowledge and experience that came from the work if done so far.

Do I wish I had a typeR? Yes.
To I regret not just getting one as I've spent now that I could have bought one? No
I also would have modded the R. So compare msrp dose little for me.

They're both great cars. And I like the work I've done and the car I've built. But in no way is it a type r.

But it's a hot little coupe. No denying.

20210815_082646.jpg
That is a great looking car & wish I had one. It's one of the best looking colors on a nice looking coupe. If I had a 3 car garage I'd get one.

I'm sure the CTR is a great handling car, but it sure is ugly, IMO.

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
That is a great looking car & wish I had one. It's one of the best looking colors on a nice looking coupe. If I had a 3 car garage I'd get one.

I'm sure the CTR is a great handling car, but it sure is ugly, IMO.
Yep...sure is ugly!??
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Vs Si IMG_20210821_084611221_HDR~4