TYPE R VS SI

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
The power-specific modifications do not take it anywhere near 30K. The flex fuel kit for ethanol is $600, the KTuner + custom e-tune combo is $800, and a new clutch with labor is around $1200 (conservative estimate). That's a total of around a $2600 increase on top of an estimated $24,300 MSRP for the SI, for a total of $26,900. A CAI does not generate much more power than stock on this platform, and can largely be omitted from this build model. I don't recall if he did a DP/FP combo, but even if he did, this only raises the cost of the build another ~$1,000 to around $27,900 - a far cry from the 30K+ value you are quoting. I intentionally omitted the cost of his slicks, as the Type R technically does not come with racing slicks either.

By contrast, the MSRP of the Type R is $34,775 - a price that is currently exceedingly difficult to achieve right now. Further, it has already been proven that a stock Type R will lose to a bolt on SI from a dig, due to the enormous low end torque of a tuned SI.
No idea, just going off the price from the video the OP posted.
Sponsored

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
There is no proof that the car becomes unreliable. The motor just hasn't been out long enough for people to judge reliability of the car.

I also find it stupid to compare a cheaper car modified to a higher priced unmodified car. Most of the time, a cheaper car modified is faster than an unmodified car.
Your are putting another 177hp from a 1.5? Something is going to give fact. Even guys that build k20 motors that are pushing high hp say the cars aren't reliable for everyday driving.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Your are putting another 177hp from a 1.5? Something is going to give fact. Even guys that build k20 motors that are pushing high hp say the cars aren't reliable for everyday driving.
So to clarify, there is no way that he is pulling another 177 hp. That would put his SI at a minimum of 382 hp at the crank, or around 325 whp. Vit has already demonstrated that even with full PRL bolt ons, a flex fuel kit, and a tune, the expected target would still be only around 280 whp, or 330 hp at the crank. Of course, even to achieve this, his wheel torque would likely have to be >350, which would definitely not be great for the engine with sustained use.

That said, most of us are running a simple 21.5 psi tune with mild bolt ons. 215 whp and around 270 wtq. People have been running this type of tune on the base for a while without issue. Should be fine long term.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
177hp? They are closer to pushing like 300 whp at most which is like +110 hp and like +140 torque.

Also your not going to be using this power every single time your driving the car. People throw the word "reliable" around but every single person has a different definition of what reliable is.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
So to clarify, there is no way that he is pulling another 177 hp. That would put his SI at a minimum of 382 hp at the crank, or around 325 whp. Vit has already demonstrated that even with full PRL bolt ons, a flex fuel kit, and a tune, the expected target would still be only around 280 whp, or 330 hp at the crank. Of course, even to achieve this, his wheel torque would likely have to be >350, which would definitely not be great for the engine with sustained use.

That said, most of us are running a simple 21.5 psi tune with mild bolt ons. 215 whp and around 270 wtq. People have been running this type of tune on the base for a while without issue. Should be fine long term.
I agree basic tune and such would be fine. I just find this comparison silly

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree basic tune and such would be fine. I just find this comparison silly
Agreed. A full bolt-on SI with a tune might crush a Type R from a dig, but a full bolt on Type R with a tune (whenever one becomes available) will dust the SI.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Agreed. A full bolt-on SI with a tune might crush a Type R from a dig, but a full bolt on Type R with a tune (whenever one becomes available) will dust the SI.
What are the realistic limits of hp a FWD car can make and still be able to put that power down on a track? Because I keep hearing and reading that 300hp for a FWD is approaching those limits. The latest Motor Trend Ignition Episode just tested the Type R and the reviewer claimed the above.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are the realistic limits of hp a FWD car can make and still be able to put that power down on a track? Because I keep hearing and reading that 300hp for a FWD is approaching those limits. The latest Motor Trend Ignition Episode just tested the Type R and the reviewer claimed the above.
Depends on the wheels and the diff I suppose. Not sure exactly, but the Type R does it no problem at over 300 hp.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
The rims are really nice on the SI. It fits the car perfectly!
Sponsored