Type R Vs Si

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #318, 2017 Odyssey EX-L RES
Country flag
So I had the chance to buy 2 different Type R's. One Black other Blue but I couldn't get myself to pay any dealer mark up. Even at a dealership I've been buying at for over 2 decades. So I purchased my Si and did all the reasonable mods IMO. Have to say my car is a blast and I carry a note less than 19k. Feels good to be frugal.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
If you were in the market for a type r I'm surprised you went with an si over a golf r focus RS STI etc

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Same boat as OP. My Si is fun to drive and gets me to work @ 36+ MPG.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
It is a Niche which I would buy but not for any dealer mark up. My SI is garaged 5 days a week. Perfect environment for a Type R correct?
The perfect environment for a Type R (with stock rims) consists of roads with no potholes; no construction; no poor maintainance; and no curbs - so parking lots, airfields, and race tracks.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The perfect environment for a Type R (with stock rims) consists of roads with no potholes; no construction; no poor maintainance; and no curbs - so parking lots, airfields, and race tracks.
I'm sure the guy who just ruined $4,300 worth of wheels by driving over a pavement transition at 30 MPH agrees...

http://www.civicx.com/threads/tire-question-thinking-ahead.14292/#post-265737

Unlike the Si, the Type R has:

• Brake squeal (considered normal)
  • No all-season tires available in the factory size
  • Thin sidewalls dramatically increasing the risk of damage
  • No sunroof
  • No Lane Watch camera
  • No heated seats
  • 25 MPG combined vs. 35 MPG combined
  • Higher insurance costs
  • A $10,000 higher MSRP
  • An additional $5,000 to $25,000 markup depending on dealer...so far
  • Tires that may last less than 10,000 miles according to Honda
  • Two rear seating positions instead of three

On the upside, it accelerates, turns, and stops faster, has more dramatic looks, and comes with navigation and LED headlights.

For all-out performance in a competitive environment, the Type R is the clear winner.
For inexpensive, economical, and reliable fun, the Si is the clear winner.

Choose carefully. :)

Last edited:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I own Honda's. Nothing else. I have brand loyalty until they fail me a few times.
Agreed. My first few cars were not Hondas and they failed me bad, especially VW! Such junk. Ever since then, I've bought Hondas and never have problems. Love the brand.

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Night and day comparison when it comes to performance, but I couldn't fork up another 14k for the Type R. I have to say, the Type R is so much faster than my Si. Accelaration and torque alone sets it apart along with rev match and launch control.

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in Florida. We have all of those

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I'm sure the guy who just ruined $4,300 worth of wheels by driving over a pavement transition at 30 MPH agrees...
Those 20" rims would be one of my biggest concerns with a Type-R, and I'd probably buy some 19" or even 18" rims with my preferred Continental DWS tires.

But a couple of points. First, I wonder which drive mode that CTR owner was using. I didn't read the entire thread, but most reviews have praised the CTR's ride quality, so in the softest mode the rims should be able to handle moderate road imperfections. If you're driving around a city with battered roads and flip into +R, you should expect some problems.

Second, the tires themselves can make a huge difference, because stiffer sidewalls will transfer more force to the rims. When my 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero had its stock summer performance tires, I bent several rims in the Philly area over just a few years. For awhile, I even kept an extra rim in the garage. (I found a good deal on some refurbished ones, and stocked up!)

Eventually, I switched to Continental DWS tires, and all the deafening "pothole explosions" and rim bending completely ceased. The ride was softer, I didn't lose any steering feel or useable grip, and I drove for tens of thousands of miles with ZERO rim issues. The tires transformed the car.

The Type-R's tires have such thin sidewalls that swapping them might not make such a big difference, but I'd bet it still matters.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If you were in the market for a type r I'm surprised you went with an si over a golf r focus RS STI etc
not surprising at all I think. I'm in the market for a Type R but will get a SI if I'm not able to obtain one.

I'm not a fan of VW or a Ford so I wouldn't buy them even if they can be the "better" car possibly. I like the STI but I'm not a fan of the ancient EJs.

I have been highly debating the two for a REALLY long time because the I only have a one car garage (the S2 is staying inside) + it'll technically be my daily driver and I'm not sure if I would like to leave it parked on the streets/parking lots for a extended amount of time or HAVE to take my ILX to those places. Not to mention, my work is by downtown LA and it is pothole heaven. I have a 60 mile commute and with a catless/tune, if I can get like 240hp, 270 torque or something along with ~40mpg, it's clear that the SI would be technically the better choice for me. I just haven't pulled the trigger because I know deep down inside, I may regret choosing the SI and not buying the R.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I live in Florida. We have all of those
Car garaged five days a week, nice roads, Honda fan - then I would go with a Type R.

This is not to say that I think that there is something wrong with the Si - the Si is a great Civic. However, in terms of driving dynamics, the two cars are at totally different levels - the Si compares to a VW; the Type R compares to a Porsche.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Car garaged five days a week, nice roads, Honda fan - then I would go with a Type R.

This is not to say that I think that there is something wrong with the Si - the Si is a great Civic. However, in terms of driving dynamics, the two cars are at totally different levels - the Si compares a VW; the Type R compares to a Porsche.
I agree but I'm not willing to pay that much for a Type R. I would pay sticker though. Maybe in a couple years when the market calms down. For now the Si works great. Going to flash it to +9psi from the +6psi flash I have on it now.
Sponsored