geargrinder

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JCW GP
Country flag
New guy here Danny, just picked up a 18 Type R. One of my previous cars was a 17 Focus RS. I’ve had a lot of other cars, but I thought I’d give a comparison of both cars.

These are my first impressions granted, but I already find I like the Type R over the RS. The power of the Type R comes on right away, and continues to pour it on all the way to redline. This is the best factory tuning I’v ever seen. It’s perfect, no holes or flaws in the power delivery. On the other side of that coin, it’s super livable in bumper to bumper traffic. I’ve only got it to the triple digits speeds a few times, but it feels amazingly planted and poised. Best of all, the handling is... otherworldly, I pushed it way past where I thought it would lose traction, and it gripped like a leopard on a gazelle. Other things of note about the R; Seats are perfect. Brake feel is perfect, and very strong, I think it could put you through the windshield if you aren’t wearing your seatbelt. The clutch is smooth, not finicky at all. They type R’s three drive settings are all much different from each other, but very usable for what they are intended. The +R setting is like someone wound the rubber band all the way. Every thing about this car seems to have been considered, makes sense, and works. At first I wasn’t sure about the styling. I’d only seen it on the internets, and I couldn’t tell if it would be a civic with a cheap body kit, but then seeing it in person changed that. It doesn’t look cheap at all, all the vents, fins, dive planes, wing, etc all seem to have a purpose. The car looks good! I haven’t loved a car in a while, but I am really crushing on this one! So far I can’t find any flaws. Well, except for the price and longevity of the tires which are estimated to get only 10k miles at $305 each. It’s worth the grip though I’m sure, but I might be looking for an alternative. The other crazy thing, I’m getting 22 mpg! I haven’t had a car that mpg’s in a long time. I was averaging 16 mpg in the RS. To be fair, I am kind of braking the car in, so my mileage is sure to go down some.
A lot of this is in contrast to my experience with the Focus RS. There’s really no top end power, it runs out of steam after 5k rpm. It’s twitchy and scary at high speeds. Seriously, I rarely took it over 100 mph because I was afraid I would lose control of it. The RS was dangerous at high speed. Not too many cars scare me, that one did. Not in a good way. It was impossible in traffic because of the throttle tuning and touchy clutch engagement. If you didn’t let off the clutch just right you’d go bouncing ahead, or stall, or both. Also, the car itself will give more gas when letting off on the clutch causing you to go much faster than the slow traffic. It’s some anti-stall feature, but it’s a nightmare in bumper to bumper traffic.It sucked as a daily driver, way too finicky. The max drive setting was so absurdly stiff, it was completely useless. Even after the first day having that car I had a whole list of complaints about the it.
I should have got the Type R in the beginning, but I had lusted over the RS for so many years, I jumped on it the second it came out. The two cars have very similar performance numbers, just very different means of achieving it. I heard the best analogy, (I don’t know where this quote came from) “The Honda is a precision tool, whereas the Ford is a hammer!”.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Focus RS A3571499-F573-49AA-BD47-52F950CBC336

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Focus RS BF803B41-D7C0-4C8B-89F9-BC63B2DA7E0E

OP
OP
geargrinder

geargrinder

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JCW GP
Country flag
Also here is a list of my other previous cars

• 68 VW beetle
  • 69 VW beetle
  • 73 VW beetle
  • 64 VW bus
  • 68 Mercury cougar XR7
  • 69 Mercury cougar XR7
  • 71 renault R12
  • 73 Oldsmobile cutlass
  • 75 FIAT X19
  • 64 Chevrolet chevelle MALIBU
  • 73 Chevrolet chevelle SS
  • 79 Chevrolet Suburban
  • 66 Oldsmoblie cutlass
  • 66 Dodge coronet
  • 60 Cadillac sedan DeVille
  • 65 Cadillac Coup DeVille
  • 67 Cadillac Eldorado
  • 59 Ford F100
  • 75 Datsun pickup
  • 75 Datsun 280 Z
  • 91 Nissan 300 ZX TT
  • 95 Nissan 240 SX SE
  • 88 Nissan sentra
  • 87 Ford F250
  • 00 Chevrolet S10
  • 03 Dodge Dakota RT
  • 91 Galant VR4 431/1000
  • 86 Nissan pickup
  • 03 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
  • 06 Subaru WRX limited
  • 06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX MR
  • 08 Subaru Forester Sports XT
  • 08 Mitsubishi Evolution X gsr
  • 09 Mitsubishi Ralliart
  • 06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX rs
  • 62 Pontiac Tempest LeMans
  • 00 Jeep Wrangler sport
  • 06 Ford Ranger
  • 12 Subaru Forester 2.5X
  • 13 Ford Focus ST
  • 62 GMC Pickup
  • 14 Subaru STI 5 door
  • 15 Ford Mustang GT
  • 66 bug
  • 17 Ford Focus RS
  • 18 Toyota Tacoma
  • 18 Honda Civic Type R

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus RS - Race Red, 2016 Mazda MX-5 Club
Country flag
I owned a 2016 Focus RS prior to my Type-R. The RS was great overall. It was superior to the Type-R off the line. The Conti's on the Civic aren't as sticky as the Super Sports I used to have on a Focus ST or (obviously) the Pilot Sport Cup 2s that were on my RS. Plus, AWD. The sound of the RS was better since it had variable valve exhaust and did pops and was louder in sport mode. I wish the Type-R had this. I haven't been able to drive in snow yet with my Type-R but the RS was fantastic in the snow with its winter tires. I suspect, due to the AWD system, that the RS is superior in that category.

All that said, I actually prefer the Type-R overall. It's much easier to live with as a daily vehicle. The interior is significantly more refined. The fuel economy is totally reasonable. It has superior storage ability and a nice wide hatch. Accelerating at speed (40 MPH+) is better in the Type-R. It feels like it wants to pull forever, whereas the RS would lose some "oomph". I also love the rev matching, the clutch/gear engagement (this was good in RS too), and the digital gauge cluster.

They're both great cars but, for me, the Type-R is the winner.
Sponsored