BoostMePlease

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R?
Cross shopping both.

I like the idea Golf R has AWD/7 speed DSG/safety suite (adaptive cruise control and the rest). Although Civic looks like it has the best manual in existence. Love manuals but live in LA.

Golf faster 0-60 however looks like the Civic handles better.

Golf has a nicer interior from the reviews I've read. Exterior styling is subjective but I like the sleeper look vs the over/bad styled Civic with the rear fake vents and what not.

What do you think?
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
No way I will get a VW product...get the STi or Focus RS if AWD is a must.

On the other hand...the civic has step on interior quality...my HB sport has the same nice door shutting feel and sound as our old e39 bmw.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
VW reliability is improving according to latest surveys but it's still questionable. Of course the FoRS hasn't proven to be too great in that department either - see the RS forums for the horror stories.

Test drove the latest Golf R and if you want a silky smooth riding car with mind-blowing acceleration and a great DSG go for it. It grips for ages in the corners, no noticeable understeer until you really push it; but you can't induce any oversteer either. Personally I did not find it as engaging or fun to drive as either the BRZ or (especially) the new Miata.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Golf=better street car that has all weather capability
Type R=better track car
(priorities)

You aren't kidding about the Focus. My brothers has been in the shop 13 times. The rear diff has been changed 3 times now.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Cross shopping both.

I like the idea Golf R has AWD/7 speed DSG/safety suite (adaptive cruise control and the rest). Although Civic looks like it has the best manual in existence. Love manuals but live in LA.

Golf faster 0-60 however looks like the Civic handles better.

Golf has a nicer interior from the reviews I've read. Exterior styling is subjective but I like the sleeper look vs the over/bad styled Civic with the rear fake vents and what not.

What do you think?
I had two Bmws, you love the interior for a year or two, then you stop looking at it. The things that matter are driving feel, seats, and maybe the infotainment system. And I never got tired of the sound of BMW engines. I think the $35k R is too close to the Golf R in price, I'd take the base model.

OP
OP

BoostMePlease

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R?
Some good responses.

As for the Golf R reliability, I scoured the Golf R forums and it's pretty dependable. Yeah I would not consider at FocRS at the moment, build quality seems questionable at best and I sat in one and did not like the rental car with recaro seats interior at all.

@DevonK you make some solid points for the Golf. I'm a southern California resident that fights bumper to bumper traffic daily, the semi-autonomous features in the Golf would make my commute a lot more tolerable. Yet I'm a snowboarder so the Golf should be great in snow/ice/crud.

How about the tuner angle? As Doug Demuro pointed out would you want a 400HP FWD car in the Type R? As for the Golf, APR staged mods are pretty amazing. Can you say baby R8?

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
How about the tuner angle? As Doug Demuro pointed out would you want a 400HP FWD car in the Type R? As for the Golf, APR staged mods are pretty amazing. Can you say baby R8?
I would say the new TTRS is the baby R8, it is almost as fast 0-60mph stock.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
VW reliability is improving according to latest surveys but it's still questionable. Of course the FoRS hasn't proven to be too great in that department either - see the RS forums for the horror stories.

Test drove the latest Golf R and if you want a silky smooth riding car with mind-blowing acceleration and a great DSG go for it. It grips for ages in the corners, no noticeable understeer until you really push it; but you can't induce any oversteer either. Personally I did not find it as engaging or fun to drive as either the BRZ or (especially) the new Miata.

from a company who did BS years after years..from DSG problem to carbon build..yeah..from a -5 to a 2 is also can be called "improving"

They make interesting cars but nothing worth long run tbh.

OP
OP

BoostMePlease

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R?
from a company who did BS years after years..from DSG problem to carbon build..yeah..from a -5 to a 2 is also can be called "improving"

They make interesting cars but nothing worth long run tbh.
Yeah cheater software on the TDI's was some BS for sure. Did not come across active DSG issue in my searches, warrantied part though. Carbon build up as an issue in a lot of DI engines, not limited to VW but did not see current carbon issues in the Golf R.

Hoping for a sweet ILX Type S type vehicle with the Type R engine, SH-AWD and a nice DCT/auto with sening from Honda but it does not exist at the moment.

Golf R is the only choice for: Hathback/Turbo/AWD/300HP (close)/30MPG highway/solid DSG-auto tranny/premium exterior-interior build with all the amenities and safety that does everything well from commuting and all season driving to canyon carving to the track.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah cheater software on the TDI's was some BS for sure. Did not come across active DSG issue in my searches, warrantied part though. Carbon build up as an issue in a lot of DI engines, not limited to VW but did not see current carbon issues in the Golf R.

Hoping for a sweet ILX Type S type vehicle with the Type R engine, SH-AWD and a nice DCT/auto with sening from Honda but it does not exist at the moment.

Golf R is the only choice for: Hathback/Turbo/AWD/300HP (close)/30MPG highway/solid DSG-auto tranny/premium exterior-interior build with all the amenities and safety that does everything well from commuting and all season driving to canyon carving to the track.
Hmm.....I suggest you dig deeper into their "reliability"...VW is like the modern Alfa Romeo. Interesting cars...the R32 Golf, the V10 Tourage and the Phaeton but fuck me....

OP
OP

BoostMePlease

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R?
Hmm.....I suggest you dig deeper into their "reliability"...VW is like the modern Alfa Romeo. Interesting cars...the R32 Golf, the V10 Tourage and the Phaeton but fuck me....
Once again I searched two different Golf R forums and nothing alarming. Honda/Acura isn't perfect either. Do you have personal experience or just going by reputation and the stereotype that German cars suck and Honda is FTW?

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Once again I searched two different Golf R forums and nothing alarming. Honda/Acura isn't perfect either. Do you have personal experience or just going by reputation and the stereotype that German cars suck and Honda is FTW?
I owned a E36 318is..E36 M3 and still own a 1981 Mercedes 300sd...this honda is my first JDM. lets start there....

At the meantime, I never seen a fanboy talks positive for a brand they hate.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BoostMePlease

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R?

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0