VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
When I lived in Ireland I could have bought a clean JDM ITR 96-98 spec for about 10k euro - that was back in 2006.

Friend of mine picked up a 98 spec with a Spoon B18 crate engine and ECU for 11k off an import dealer. Amazing what you take for granted in your youth!
About the same here! Around then I turned down the chance to buy a Black 2001 ITR with bent valves because I didnā€™t want to take the time to repair it. The owner wanted $10k cash - and I told him that was too much. šŸ¤£
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
How do you like those tires? Was considering getting them in 255/40/18 for mine...I'm on stock suspension and really only canyon the car once every few weeks, otherwise she just runs around town a little dont commute in it much...
I love them on the track. They don't take long to heat up to ideal temp. Grip is really good and consistent. Hard to overheat but when I do they cool down quickly. They are very communicative, i.e. they squeal just the right amount for me to hold them on the edge.

But for a daily? I suspect you might heat cycle them out too quickly or they might just be expensive to run. No idea how many miles they last. They last about 15 track days I think. I daily PS4s. They are not as communicative, but they do well as dailies and for the occasional canyons. And they should last a lot longer.

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
I ended up selling it to Nanuet honda they originally listed it for 51 now its down to 48k . if anyone is looking at it. I never tracked it or modded its stock .

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I ended up selling it to Nanuet honda they originally listed it for 51 now its down to 48k . if anyone is looking at it. I never tracked it or modded its stock .
lol we ran into each other months ago in Passaic/Clifton area. I sold my CTR too like 2 months ago šŸ˜¢ gg

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
There are some rumblings that the FL5 isnā€™t as quick as the FK8 on certain tracks - I also have not seen a Nurburgring time posted, only that the FL5 was tested there. I fully believe that the FL5 will be a better car to live with than the FK8 (Im looking at you 2020 head unit) but Im interested to see if the consensus is that the FK8 is the better Type R in a few years. If the latter is true, then expect values to bounce on the FK8. Not that theyā€™ve plummeted at all, but Iā€™d expect them to stabilize and then climb.

Again, this is just based on Japanese reviews and comments, so not particularly formal or overly trustworthy sources.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
I was going to start my own thread, but figured I could post under here.

So a couple years ago, I decided to sell my 2018 since I was getting ready to purchase my first home. I loved the car, but I thought it was the smart move. In hindsight, I probably could've kept the car and still made it work, but I'm still happy with the current position I'm in. With that said, I feel like I'm ready to buy another fk8. I found one that I think is a pretty decent deal. I'm just getting hung up on two factors: the overall car market in general and the incoming FL5.

I think we all know used cars are overpriced at the moment. No idea when things are supposed to get better, but we know they eventually have to. I think we may already even be seeing some signs of slowdown. So if I'm looking at low mileage 2020+ for $45k, I'm paying a good amount over MSRP. Even if prices don't drop significantly within the next year, I feel like there will be a correction and they will have to drop quicker than usual at some point.

Another factor that could make it worse for this specific segment of the market is the arrival of the FL5. Will a bunch of FK8 owners "flood" the market and drive the price down? I think it's possible. I'm not really TOO concerned with resale value at this point since I intend on keeping the car for a while.

But maybe if I pass on this one, some other good opportunities may pop up in the near future and for a better price.

Any thoughts?
FL5's are going to have roughly 1/10th the production of the FK8 (originally reported at 1/5th the FK8 volume, and updated to another 40% cut from that based on supply chain delays, though the 40% cut probably only applies to the first year). I wouldn't bet on getting an FL5 anywhere near "affordable" think FK8 LE levels of markups.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Its bad enough that these cars are limited to begin with since they are such a niche vehicle. Add in shortages that create added ADM already on a highly sought out vehicle. I am beginning to agree with most that the FL5 will be next to impossible to get at a reasonable price and definitely WILL have ADM added onto it - bc supply and demand.
At this point - I am hoping that the FK8 goes down in price in the used car market so it allows for 'us regular folks' to be able to get one at a reasonable price (and sorry - but paying MSRP or even MORE than MSRP for used is NOT reasonable).

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I can't help but think of the 15-20k 10th gen CTRs delivered to the USA for the 2017-2021 years, the clean title, low mile examples will not depreciate far, if at all. Branded title or high mileage CTRs will depreciate more and faster for sure, but clean titled low mile examples will hold a lasting value. We're also getting closer to an all EV Honda fleet which Honda has teased a lot. As we get closer to that kind of transformation, CTRs are going to be in the categories of S2k CRs and ITRs: highly desirable, collectible and valuable, imo

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
Country flag
Its bad enough that these cars are limited to begin with since they are such a niche vehicle. Add in shortages that create added ADM already on a highly sought out vehicle. I am beginning to agree with most that the FL5 will be next to impossible to get at a reasonable price and definitely WILL have ADM added onto it - bc supply and demand.
At this point - I am hoping that the FK8 goes down in price in the used car market so it allows for 'us regular folks' to be able to get one at a reasonable price (and sorry - but paying MSRP or even MORE than MSRP for used is NOT reasonable).
Unfortunately thatā€™s where the market will most likely sit with these cars for the reasons you mentioned. Two limited production cars and the owners set the market for used unless for some reason they fall on financial hardship or outgrow the car. Greed just happened to poison the well faster than expected with Covid and good luck getting legislation to fix any of thatā€¦

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
Hard to say, carvana is still asking close to 49k for low mileage 21ā€™s.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
That reddit post had to have accident history. These things still pulling close to 50 based on my boredom search. One 2021 for 40 with an accident title

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
As many have said, I'm sure once the FL5 hits the market, the value of the FK8 will go down because people will be trading in their used fk8 for one, however once those FK8's are bought up, the price will slowly creep up again.

I do not think we will see the skyrocket in price that the NSX or ITR saw. This is simply because fuel is being phased out. It may sell for a fuck ton to collector's looking for a mint condition stock vehicle, but I doubt that *all* ctr's will skyrocket

People won't desire the Fk8 in the future for it's performance (I'm sure an eventual hybrid CTR would blow it out of the water), but more because of how "unique" it is in styling