Type r transmission problem, DOCUMENTED.

Vaporeon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Civic Type R
Country flag
If you have any mods that increase power, I could see them denying transmission warranty as that is directly related. I'm not saying I like it but I would have expected that outcome, unfortunately. Sorry to hear.
Are we talking catback here too? Which should be completely unrelated to transmission as well?
Sponsored

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Are we talking catback here too? Which should be completely unrelated to transmission as well?
I assumed the vehicle in question had a flash, perhaps I was wrong there.

But, looking at it from a dealer's perspective, anything that increases power above stock (I assume a catback does slightly?), gives them the ammunition they are looking for to deny warranty. I don't like it and I don't agree with it, but that is what I would expect them to say. Maybe check with your dealer of choice first and get something in writing - if they are unwilling to do that, the only thing you can do is proceed under the assumption that they will deny a hypothetical warranty claim.

Vaporeon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Civic Type R
Country flag
I assumed the vehicle in question had a flash, perhaps I was wrong there.

But, looking at it from a dealer's perspective, anything that increases power above stock (I assume a catback does slightly?), gives them the ammunition they are looking for to deny warranty. I don't like it and I don't agree with it, but that is what I would expect them to say. Maybe check with your dealer of choice first and get something in writing - if they are unwilling to do that, the only thing you can do is proceed under the assumption that they will deny a hypothetical warranty claim.
I figured any further work needed I get done at the dealer I will just switch back to stock if necessary. But I have also heard legally speaking if they can't 100% prove the issue blossomed from a catback install, they can't deny your warranty.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I figured any further work needed I get done at the dealer I will just switch back to stock if necessary. But I have also heard legally speaking if they can't 100% prove the issue blossomed from a catback install, they can't deny your warranty.
In theory you are correct, but when it comes down to it they hold all the cards and have the final say. Even if it was also legally correct, I am not sure anyone would invest the time and money necessary to fight it as it would likely eclipse the cost of the repairs in a hurry. Anyway, if you have the OEM exhaust you can just put back on every time you visit the dealer, you are probably OK. That strategy stops working though if you ever bring in the car with the aftermarket exhaust on it haha - as soon as they make a note it's on file forever.

I also think this would only be an issue with drivetrain stuff - if something COMPLETELY unrelated happened, I would expect them to cover it without a fight, but they could technically try to link any drivetrain problem to increased power.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Canada doesn’t have Magnuson Moss. That being said you might get away with a catback, but touching the ECU and you’re probably screwed.

ERnie

First Name
Ernest Roales
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette, TrailBlazer SS, MG Midget, Impala
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2019 CTR will not go into 1st gear. slipped out of 2nd at an autocross and then would not go into 1st. Had occasional problems with 1st gear lockout in past. Dealer duplicated problem, talked to tech line and was advised to do no further work until Regional Service Manager contacted. This took 3 days (some service huh). Repair was denied because car had been auto-crossed. Car has had no mods except for a rear sway bar. Look online at the Civic Type R ad from Honda, states the car is "race ready". Called Honda National Customer service and they will not even try to override the Regional Service Manager. They will not give me the contact information for the RSM. Car now at independent service facility. Hope to have it fixed and back soon.

mweberosu1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
I've have had the same issues with 2nd gear grind, 5th-4th lockout and then I got locked out of first entirely after a hard 2nd gear grind. I got it to go into 1st and then it would randomly pop out of second going around a sharp corner. I have minimal mods, PRL Stage 1 intake, Mishimoto FMIC and 265/35 20 PS4's but was still hesitant to take it to the dealer after hearing others say the were denied their claims because of mods. After I got 1st gear lockout and random popping out of 2nd again I decided to take it in. I drove it to the dealer without being able to go into first, told them what happened and let them have the keys. Few days later they informed me that they were replacing 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear sets. When I went to pick it up the Service manager came out to talk to me personally and explained that he's seen a few come in that they can tell they are beat on but said that I take care of mine so there were no questions asked and they proceeded with the warranty. I don't know if it helped that I bought the car from the dealer but it got fixed and under warranty. Find a dealer that will work with you and good luck to all that have the same issues. Hopefully you can get yours repaired with no out of pocket.

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, I wanted to start this post to collect name of people having this transmission problems. I brough mine ctr to dealer last week, and asked for a tech to drive the car, the tech was able to replicate tye problem, so it is documented. I am thinking in making a spreadsheet with the name, phone nunber and/or email, ctr production nunber (badge), and vin. PM if you are interested to be part of this. If you are having this problem and send me you info, I will send you the copy with the info of everybody that have experinced the problem and send me the info.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ifications-issues-and-more.45316/#post-911328

ooch

First Name
Ooch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 type-r , MR2 Spyder
Country flag
My 2019 has a vibration starting at 3,200 RPM. The vibration can be felt through the entire car. It feels more turbulent than actual “vibration.” Dealership changes the fluid and it appeared to help... for a day.

I keep getting the run around between Honda and the dealership. One person told me “maybe it’s just a characteristic of the car.” Wtf? Being going through this for 5 months and still dealing with it.
I got this from a facebook forum which might be related?:

ooch

First Name
Ooch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 type-r , MR2 Spyder
Country flag
What RPMs do these lockouts/clunks/gate won't engage occur?
No one has ever mentioned that data?
Not sure of revs but in terms of mph, mine locks out going from 5th to 4th at speeds of 35mph to 45mph. You can get it to lock out while stationary with the engine running though. Just keep changing from neutral to 4th and within a couple of minutes you should experience a lockout if your car has the issue

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Not sure of revs but in terms of mph, mine locks out going from 5th to 4th at speeds of 35mph to 45mph. You can get it to lock out while stationary with the engine running though. Just keep changing from neutral to 4th and within a couple of minutes you should experience a lockout if your car has the issue
Yeah....my 2020 does that on occasion as well. In my head it's just a quirk of the car - it prefers to be driven fast. The lockouts have gone down significantly the more I drive the car.

TheGenocyber

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 - Racing Blue
Country flag
I don't get the 1st to 2nd crunch but when my car is cold, on rare occasions I get the 5th to 4th lockout. Once at temp I don't have any issues... My R33 did similar things...

Tyrannosaurus WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
You cannot and will not have any issue with warranty for a catback. Catback requires no additional turning and changes virtually nothing as far as engines parameters or even horsepower. There is way to much information out there to prove that. Now change from the downpipe back and that COULD be a different story.

ERnie

First Name
Ernest Roales
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette, TrailBlazer SS, MG Midget, Impala
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update on not being able to get to first gear. After 6 weeks in shop finally got my CTR back. Good news is that it never shifted better. Bad new a $5700 repair not covered by warranty because car has been "raced". 1st and 2nd gear sets were damaged and lots of metal in filter and bottom of Transmission. Has anyone had any success in the courts on warranty issues? Also I had received a email on someone starting a listing of owners with transmission problems. Did not respond at the time because I did not have my VIN. but would like to put in my 2 cents
Sponsored