Type R Shifter w/ Acuity upgrades OR Full Acuity Short-Shifter Assembly?

RRsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I'm considering improving the shifter on my Si in the future and would like to hear everyone's thoughts as to which one is the better setup.

From what I've researched, it seems the Type R assembly w/ Acuity upgrades is a bit cheaper to put together vs. purchasing the full short-shifter assembly from Acuity. But is the Acuity short-shifter that much better? (i.e. is it worth the $ premium over the Type-R shifter + acuity upgrades)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I've had the Type R shifter for about a week and I'm pretty darn happy with it for the money. I have all of the Acuity bits on it, other than the short throw adapter which will cause issues when used w/ the CTR shifter anyways. I also have the shift linkage bushings. Sure, I don't have all of the adjustability of the full Acuity shift assembly, but the feel is really nice! The throws are definitely shorter than the Si shifter and the rocker does a nice job of narrowing the gates. Funny enough, I think the spring is the best part. It does a much better job of centering the shifter and making those 2-3 shifts really effortless. I was able to get the shifter + rocker + spring + base bushings used from a member for $165. Actually I now have a second set of base bushings that I'll be selling, haha.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm considering improving the shifter on my Si in the future and would like to hear everyone's thoughts as to which one is the better setup.

From what I've researched, it seems the Type R assembly w/ Acuity upgrades is a bit cheaper to put together vs. purchasing the full short-shifter assembly from Acuity. But is the Acuity short-shifter that much better? (i.e. is it worth the $ premium over the Type-R shifter + acuity upgrades)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
The full ACUITY shifter is in a different league all together. An ACUITY upgraded CTR shifter is not bad, but if you do not mind spending the extra money you will get your money's worth with the full shifter assembly.

r_rated_ctr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've talked to the guys at Acuity already and supposedly the Si shifter with all the upgrades will actually give you a shorter throw compared to the Tyoe R shifter with its upgrades because the bottom piece you can add to the Si shifter is a little longer. Don't kill the messenger, just repeating what they said. I'm sure the full Acuity shifter will blow both of the OEM ones out the water.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I've talked to the guys at Acuity already and supposedly the Si shifter with all the upgrades will actually give you a shorter throw compared to the Tyoe R shifter with its upgrades because the bottom piece you can add to the Si shifter is a little longer. Don't kill the messenger, just repeating what they said. I'm sure the full Acuity shifter will blow both of the OEM ones out the water.
You are correct on that account.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not going to be able to weigh in on this conversation but i have been looking into getting the Typer R shifter. Last i checked on "hondapartsnow" the CTR shifter was discontinued. Hopefully i was looking at the wrong part lol
Do you happen to still have the part number or did you buy it awhile ago?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Not going to be able to weigh in on this conversation but i have been looking into getting the Typer R shifter. Last i checked on "hondapartsnow" the CTR shifter was discontinued. Hopefully i was looking at the wrong part lol
Do you happen to still have the part number or did you buy it awhile ago?
I bought mine used from a member, but I don't believe the part number has changed. I don't understand this discontinued stuff. Same thing happened w/ the CTR steering wheel. Like, is it actually impossible to buy replacements at this point??

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
aahhhh i figured you did lol Did some quick research and im guessing each honda dealer has its own inventory? Saw this on the member classifieds and says its available lol
https://www.collegehillshondaparts....-touring--6-speed-manual/chassis--shift-lever

Like everyone is saying im sure that ACUITY kit is insane and probably like 1mm throws (def exaggerating, i think?) but I just cant justify spending that much on a shifter when it can be spent on other parts. Just my .02 lol

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I'm currently using it w/ the stock Si knob and it sits nice and low with pretty darn short throws. I'll likely get an Acuity ESCO again once they release the insulated version with different colors. The ESCO is a bit taller, so the effective throw is a bit longer, but I'm sure it will still feel great. For $40 + (hopefully reasonable shipping), the Type R shifter is a no-brainer to me. At the minimum, use the Acuity centering spring.

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should do it right once for all IMO so go with acuity short shifter kit, or the hybrid racing shifter kit which is slightly cheaper than acuity. The quality seem to be on par with acuity.

Boni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Anyone has gone from the stock with all acuity parts to the acuity shifter? I got all the upgrades but was wondering if it was worth the $500 over just the upgrades

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The only reason to debate between an OEM Type R shifter with Acuity parts and the Acuity shifter is if you can't afford the actual Acuity shifter. It's really a question of whether you can settle with the Type R shifter or not. The Acuity is better 100%, there is no comparison. An alternative is the new Hybrid shifter and it is a bit cheaper as well.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I have the R shifter with acuity goodies (spring and all bushings) and it feels so goooood. Perfectly buttery yet notchy (unsure if that's a positive word but NOT crunchy). Every shift just snaps into place. Not sure I could justify getting the full acuity shifter assembly when the R is like $40

The base shifter + thort throw adapter and the stock R shifter have very similar throws. I find it to be perfect since even shorter throws would feel a bit weird imo. I know this is the Si forum but just putting that out there

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
The only reason to debate between an OEM Type R shifter with Acuity parts and the Acuity shifter is if you can't afford the actual Acuity shifter. It's really a question of whether you can settle with the Type R shifter or not. The Acuity is better 100%, there is no comparison. An alternative is the new Hybrid shifter and it is a bit cheaper as well.
So the Acuity adjustable short shifter kit is better that the TypeR one? :hmm:
Sponsored