AMcGee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic lx, 2002 Acura rsx type s
Country flag
Hey everyone, I’m looking to put a type r shift lever assembly in my 2017 Civic 2.0. Would it be a direct replacement and is it worth the upgrade? I’ve also been told the 2020-2021 type r’s have an even shorter throw should I go with that or my car’s year. Is there anything I should be weary about with this install? Thanks for the help
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2017-2019 type R shifter with Acuity parts. It had a little bit shorter throw and more mechanical feel than the si. I imagine you'll notice a bigger difference from your shifter.

The install isn't very difficult. Pawinn has an excellent how to video for Acuity, and they have a PDF file you can refer to. Taking my time, my first install took 2 hours. I switched shifters yesterday in an hour.

The 2020 shifter seems like the one of choice right now. For $50 it's a solid bang for the buck driving enhancement.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
100% agree with 86salmon 2020 assembly + acuity parts feels pretty darn good. If you’re patient you can find the parts used and save even more money.

Install isn’t too bad I also followed Pawinn’s acuity video it’s Literally the best install video I have ever watched haha

OP
OP

AMcGee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a 2017-2019 type R shifter with Acuity parts. It had a little bit shorter throw and more mechanical feel than the si. I imagine you'll notice a bigger difference from your shifter.

The install isn't very difficult. Pawinn has an excellent how to video for Acuity, and they have a PDF file you can refer to. Taking my time, my first install took 2 hours. I switched shifters yesterday in an hour.

The 2020 shifter seems like the one of choice right now. For $50 it's a solid bang for the buck driving enhancement.
I’ve heard people say it makes it more clunky, will this affect the daily driving aspect making it less smooth?

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve heard people say it makes it more clunky, will this affect the daily driving aspect making it less smooth?
I found this was dependent on the shifter knob I used. I found it overly notchy with heavy knobs, but lighter knobs like the new PRL, or the Mishimoto carbon fiber felt buttery smooth

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely good advice above. 2020 CTR shifter with a 1 pound weighted shifter ball. No acuity bits needed. I love this set-up. The shift knob I got off amazon/ebay -- it's a CTR replica but 2x heavier and very affordable. Total cost under $100, can't beat it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192352976043
(I painted the numbers red with my kids washable paint)

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r shift lever assembly install in a base civic IMG_7979(1)

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
I've only heard good things about the 2020 shifter, BUT if you can afford the Acuity full short shifter I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. It won't disappoint.

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm very glad I double checked for someone else asking this before I started another thread. Just recently picked up (from another forum member) a used type r shifter with acuity bits. It's pre-2020, but it will still be a major upgrade from my current sport shifter.

OP
OP

AMcGee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm very glad I double checked for someone else asking this before I started another thread. Just recently picked up (from another forum member) a used type r shifter with acuity bits. It's pre-2020, but it will still be a major upgrade from my current sport shifter.
Should I go with the 2020 or a previous year for my car?

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Should I go with the 2020 or a previous year for my car?
I've been only buying parts from other members on here, so I went with a pre-2020 version because that's what I found, from a reliable seller. I haven't tried a 2020+ version, so I can't speak on whether it is actually better or not.

Anyone else tried both and can chime in?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else tried both and can chime in?
I've driven a 2017 CTR and absolutely loved the shifter. That's what made me want to upgrade my shifter in the first place. Now I have the 2020 shifter and it feels very similar. The only difference I can tell is the height of the 2020 knob sits a little lower. Otherwise, they are identical in terms of feel and function. I'd go with 2020, but you honestly can't go wrong either way. They are both tremendous upgrades versus the sport/si shifters.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
Going from my 2018 Type R to my 2021 Type R LE was an improvement. I had no issues with my 2018 FWIW.

OP
OP

AMcGee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I found this was dependent on the shifter knob I used. I found it overly notchy with heavy knobs, but lighter knobs like the new PRL, or the Mishimoto carbon fiber felt buttery smooth
would I need a short shift adapter or anything to make it work? Can this affect the shift cables?

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would I need a short shift adapter or anything to make it work? Can this affect the shift cables?
Don't use a short throw shift adapter with type R shifter assemblies. It will damage the cables

As far as I know, the type R assembly is plug and play with all tenth gen 6mt

OP
OP

AMcGee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't use a short throw shift adapter with type R shifter assemblies. It will damage the cables

As far as I know, the type R assembly is plug and play with all tenth gen 6mt
Thank you very much for the help
Sponsored