type r shift boot collar - why some cannot remove lock nut

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
we've discovered something interesting about the ctr's shift knob lock nut and why some cannot remove it. there are 2 different gear sticks built - one with one thread and one with two opposing threads. this has been confirmed by members of our fk8 product reviews fb group.

pic 1) according honda's service manual, it does show 2 opposing threads in the removal image. the lock nut is turned clockwise (opposite) to remove/lower to unlock from the base of the knob. the knob is turned counterclockwise to remove.

pic 2) however, some of our members have shown there shifter has only one set of threads - normal counterclockwise to remove both lock nut and shifter.

pic 3) we have documented 2 of our 5 test cars as having 2 sets of threads, 1 opposing each other - not allowing for the lock nut to be removed from the shifter at all without damaging the upper threads of the knob.

we're not sure why some cars have different threads or even how the lock collar was installed at the factory for those with 2 sets of threads. was the collar inserted first then threads made? that's highly unlikely. was the collar inserted from the bottom up since it's more likely the threads were already made? possibly.

this anomaly has been reported to honda customer relations for sharing with internal engineering.

Honda Civic 10th gen type r shift boot collar - why some cannot remove lock nut QMwi0r1kJuOgbtBglApmFcuJORYK6KydIXamviFx7OstZHmUiGoq4kDvK6gCERaicom5AZIkg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1

Honda Civic 10th gen type r shift boot collar - why some cannot remove lock nut SrtUw3acvBkmjTUsMKVu53f_R5PYVxb6O_Dn0aHtpSqf9Z9MdDEYiYh7Ks2zX30XKOtfK-zkA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1

Honda Civic 10th gen type r shift boot collar - why some cannot remove lock nut Wl4fvlQQpCUeagDEBPV1bRIt0bhcwkFIoq7l9oPHNEDdk_d8OP-aAdj553OYCkYVwG26QnG8Q&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
pic 1) according honda's service manual, it does show 2 opposing threads in the removal image. the lock nut is turned clockwise (opposite) to remove/lower to unlock from the base of the knob. the knob is turned counterclockwise to remove.
well it has to be turned clockwise to remove because the collar is "loosened" in order to mate up to the stock knob to fix it's position straight so it's not necessary showing 2 opposing threads.

The last pic is very weird. I have never seen a shifter with opposing threads like that. Mine is built July '17 and its like the first pic you posted.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
well it has to be turned clockwise to remove because the collar is "loosened" in order to mate up to the stock knob to fix it's position straight so it's not necessary showing 2 opposing threads.

The last pic is very weird. I have never seen a shifter with opposing threads like that. Mine is built July '17 and its like the first pic you posted.
I feel dumb.

So the plastic boot collar locks in place to the knob collar.

The knob collar is meant to spin on and off the shaft up to the point where the threads end.

If you want to remove it, you spin it off but first need to slide the boot collar off the knob collar.

I don’t see two sets of thread pitches in the shaft.

What am I missing?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I feel dumb.

The knob collar is meant to spin on and off the shaft up to the point where the threads end.

If you want to remove it, you spin it off but first need to slide the boot collar off the knob collar.

What am I missing?
i think the problem is this.
Most people have a shifter with one set of thread in which the shift knob and the lock collar threads on and off. Clockwise to move down the shaft and counter clock wise to move up the shaft.
Then it seems like, some/few cars were produced with having 2 sets of threads. One right handed and one left handed thread. The shift knob thread where you turn the shift knob clockwise to move down the shaft and counter clock wise to move up the shaft and the lock collar thread where you turn the collar clock wise to move up the shaft and counter clock wise to move down the shaft.

What happens then is when you try to remove the collar by turning it clock wise, you run into the "correct" thread which the collar doesn't go up past it without cross threading due to the opposing thread.
You can see it in the the last picture on how the threads exists much lower into the shifter than the first picture posted. So it seems like a left hand thread was created underneath the right hand thread.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned

Correct, mine is 2018 and so are couple others with same opposing thread sections. Also if you notice in the 3rd pic/mine, the entire thread section is much longer than the 2nd pic which has only 1 thread section.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
I feel dumb.

What am I missing?
i think the problem is this.
Most people have a shifter with one set of thread in which the shift knob and the lock collar threads on and off. Clockwise to move down the shaft and counter clock wise to move up the shaft.
Then it seems like, some/few cars were produced with having 2 sets of threads. One right handed and one left handed thread. The shift knob thread where you turn the shift knob clockwise to move down the shaft and counter clock wise to move up the shaft and the lock collar thread where you turn the collar clock wise to move up the shaft and counter clock wise to move down the shaft.

What happens then is when you try to remove the collar by turning it clock wise, you run into the "correct" thread which the collar doesn't go up past it without cross threading due to the opposing thread.
You can see it in the the last picture on how the threads exists much lower into the shifter than the first picture posted. So it seems like a left hand thread was created underneath the right hand thread.
Yep, what boosted180sx said. I’ll take a better pic this week showing the 2 distinctly opposite thread sections on mine and longer length of the combined threads. It seems crazy right? A lot of people are having problems removing the lock collar like we all seem to think we’d normally do...leftie loosie but not the case here.

Normally both lock collar and knob use same threads. Collar would turn up to meet knob turning down to not only adjust height of where knob sits but locks in place from moving. No different that if you have a bolt and use 2 nuts to lock one vs other to stop from moving.

Let’s see what Honda has to say also.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Yep, what boosted180sx said. I’ll take a better pic this week showing the 2 distinctly opposite thread sections on mine and longer length of the combined threads. It seems crazy right? A lot of people are having problems removing the lock collar like we all seem to think we’d normally do...leftie loosie but not the case here.

Normally both lock collar and knob use same threads. Collar would turn up to meet knob turning down to not only adjust height of where knob sits but locks in place from moving. No different that if you have a bolt and use 2 nuts to lock one vs other to stop from moving.

Let’s see what Honda has to say also.
That’s nuts!

Btw if you know anyone or if you can let the forum group know that if anyone has a shift knob nut with busted threads I’d take it. I’ll take them all infact :)

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
here's one of our other cars showing the differences in thread sections. clearly different from other pic (repost here to show side by side).

what's interesting is the oem knob are all the same thread so the upper thread is the "correct" thread for the knob. that we can conclude.

it's the bottom thread or the collar thread itself is way off.

Honda Civic 10th gen type r shift boot collar - why some cannot remove lock nut w3acvbkmjtusmkvu53f_r5pyvxb6o_dn0ahtpsqf9z9mddeyiyh7ks2zx30xkotfk-zka-_nc_ht-scontent-iad3-1-
Honda Civic 10th gen type r shift boot collar - why some cannot remove lock nut V9F3rKMGKiCqvWVrAIMvNxU8oxDGElCKsa1vqkF-fNfITCL01aawZkaVAor5dV88SsZiAfySg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
And how did this make it past inspection? That looks like some awful threads. Looks like the top half is threaded wrong direction and bottom half is dual-threaded and double the pitch. How is the collar even on there?
no clue...boggles my mind.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
we've discovered something interesting about the ctr's shift knob lock nut and why some cannot remove it. there are 2 different gear sticks built - one with one thread and one with two opposing threads. this has been confirmed by members of our fk8 product reviews fb group.

Turning the locking nut clockwise to un-jam the shift knob is not "opposite". You have to "tighten" the jam nut, clockwise to release it from the shift knob. If you then wanted to remove the jam nut (after removing the knob) you loosen it, counter-clockwise like any other nut. There are not 2 opposing threads on the shifter. Not in the least. This may be a mistake in your post or thinking, but to print it as fact is incorrect.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know how to unlock a nut. You need to look at the last pic I posted and see what I meant. There are at least 10 people with exactly same problem. At least two have stripped their collar lock nut.

Go check yours and see. You may or may not have the same problem.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
I know how to unlock a nut. You need to look at the last pic I posted and see what I meant. There are at least 10 people with exactly same problem. At least two have stripped their collar lock nut.

Go check yours and see. You may or may not have the same problem.
That last pic looks like "post strip" to me. Someone trying to loosen the nut by turning it counter-clockwise while the knob is still jammed against it. Those aren't even clean left handed threads. Besides, guys, for a left handed thread you need a left hand threaded nut. You can't screw on a nut past right handed threads then onto left handed threads. Who ever told you their car came like this from the factory was lying and they already screwed it up.

I have already removed my shift knob and worked like every Honda for the past 20 years that I've owned. There is no mechanical reason for Honda to change this now.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
here's one of our other cars showing the differences in thread sections. clearly different from other pic (repost here to show side by side).

what's interesting is the oem knob are all the same thread so the upper thread is the "correct" thread for the knob. that we can conclude.

it's the bottom thread or the collar thread itself is way off.

w3acvbkmjtusmkvu53f_r5pyvxb6o_dn0ahtpsqf9z9mddeyiyh7ks2zx30xkotfk-zka-_nc_ht-scontent-iad3-1-jpg.jpg
V9F3rKMGKiCqvWVrAIMvNxU8oxDGElCKsa1vqkF-fNfITCL01aawZkaVAor5dV88SsZiAfySg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg
I've had this same issue with my shifter thread pitch when I had to remove the knob to replace my shift boot

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And how did this make it past inspection? That looks like some awful threads. Looks like the top half is threaded wrong direction and bottom half is dual-threaded and double the pitch. How is the collar even on there?
lol, it almost looks like someone cross threaded the heck out of it and that's what really happened. That is crazy

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That last pic looks like "post strip" to me. Someone trying to loosen the nut by turning it counter-clockwise while the knob is still jammed against it. Those aren't even clean left handed threads. Besides, guys, for a left handed thread you need a left hand threaded nut. You can't screw on a nut past right handed threads then onto left handed threads. Who ever told you their car came like this from the factory was lying and they already screwed it up.

I have already removed my shift knob and worked like every Honda for the past 20 years that I've owned. There is no mechanical reason for Honda to change this now.
yeah, I zoomed in...those threads were stripped imo. wild stuff
Sponsored