Type R seat question

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
@Sofa King, I picked mine up for MSRP at honda of Lisle incase yours falls through you might try giving them a call. I'm 5'8 175lb and I'm swimming in seat all day.
Sponsored

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Considering a Type R. My dealer doesn't have any in stock. My concern is the front seats. A few years ago I test drove a Ford Focus ST with Recaro seats. I'm a large, broad shouldered guy, the seat bolsters stuck me in the shoulder blades. Do we have any big Type R owners? Also, are the Type R seat power adjustable? I love my 2018 EX-L hatch, very comfortable for long road trips so I'm not concerned about legroom or anything else, just the seats.
Also, I've been reading the Naughty Dealer List thread. My salesman, who I've bought two cars from, says MSRP for Type R, not a penny less or a penny more. That's reasonable.
Hey bro. First of all I think you can swap seats fairly easily. The reason I say is that I had basic manual seats and put type R seats in my car and the airbag light lit but the tech programmed ecu to accept or zero the weight. Honestly these should all be electric but you know Honda is the profit king and it saves them money. The base seats sit too low to support the thighs at all.

CivicX is not really the place for radical mod advice but any mod can be done. The seat frame can be modified and I plan on cutting one of the 1/2 inch bent steel rods that holds the side bolster foam in my Type R seats because it hurts my achy hip. The Type R seats fit their test dummy or a 5ft 9in 165 lbs male. They are more restrictive than just about any other Recaro seats in the world. Also the center console is too wide and intrusive and its not padded at all. The Civics are basically ripe for mods because it tries to do a lot of things like holds all my junk in there! The vehicle dynamics are very good and in the Type R even better. So here I am rebuilding so many things regarding comfort and noises.

While I know I can remove steel from the tight seat frame on the Type R seats, I am not sure even with the upholstery all removed if my welder can add anything back. Thats why I plan on building bracket spacers to lift the seat higher (rather than installing electric seats) and I plan on removing one steel rail towards the inside of vehicle. That should give me more room. I am temporarily using the base seats but while the seat bottom is ok and flattish the seatback is not very supportive and the headrest not in the right place or adjustable. If I need to add any steel I may just braze or screw it in so that I dont heat up the steel and affect the airbags.

Cheers!