Type R rear seat question

SW20MR2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MR2
Country flag
I got a good look at Type R at auto show. I noticed, that it has a 4 seat configuration vs regular hatchback having a 5 seat configuration. Maybe somebody can peak under the Type R back seat and answer my question - is there a room for 5th belt buckle and the belt? If so maybe there is a possibility to swap hatchback back seat into type R - I would like to have 5 seater...
Sponsored

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a good look at Type R at auto show. I noticed, that it has a 4 seat configuration vs regular hatchback having a 5 seat configuration. Maybe somebody can peak under the Type R back seat and answer my question - is there a room for 5th belt buckle and the belt? If so maybe there is a possibility to swap hatchback back seat into type R - I would like to have 5 seater...
The standard hatchback and the CTR share the same chassis so there is no reason the CTR wouldn't already have the mounting areas for the middle belt

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
But the car is registred as a 4 seater. I think you have to re-register it with 5 seats.

In Europe the maximum weight you can put in the CTR is 290kg (640lbs)
This is weird because 4 adults would weigh more than that, not to mention the bagage...

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Reason for it being only seating 4 is like TheBigG just said, the maximum load limit. Look on page 431 of your manual. What is the rhyme and reason for the difference between the two models that causes the difference? I have no idea

1.5 Engine Models: Max Load 850 lbs (385 kg)
2.0 Engine Models (Type R): Max Load 680 lbs (308 kg)

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Probably has to do with the load capacity of those rubber band Continentals on the factory 20" wheels.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Yes, there is a lady that had that done @ dealer. They swapped in hatchback seat and belt.
Cool to find this thread. Which dealer was it?

Also, another reason why someone would want a fifth seat is just so that you can seat 4 and still have a pass through from the trunk. (with 3 seats in the back, two people can sit in the 2/3 part of the fold down seat while the 1/3 is folded down, but if you have two seats in the back, as soon as you fold down either side, you're down to a 3 seater, : ( )
Sponsored