Type-R Production Numbers

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
15,978 according to Motor Trend.

4,000 of the 11,500 FK8s made so far have gone to the US.

If Honda were to make about as many total FK8s as total FK2s, then the US would end up with about 5,500 of these based on the current proportion of 4,000 (US) to 11,500 (total) in which case "the end is near".
The only reason Honda stopped at 16k FK2's is because it came out late in the cycle and production ended when the plant was retooled for FK8's. This time the Type R came out within a year of the base car so we should expect these cars to roll off the assembly line until they stop production of the current KF8 Civic Hatchback.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Apparently ADM and other shenanigans with Hondas has been a thing since the 80's.

I read a story, and looked into it a bit to make sure it was true, that a bunch of dealers sued/lodged complaints against Honda because they couldn't get any Honda's on their lots. It turned out that regional reps were getting personal kick backs from dealers to allocate more cars to them, which caused a bunch of other dealers to not get any.

Fast forward a few years, Honda implemented a computer based allocation system that allocates cars how ever it does. Now regional reps can't play favorites for additional cars, but, now they don't have a clue what's coming or who's getting what until it shows up in transit/inventory. If a dealer wants a specific car they find one in the system sitting on another dealer's lot and they play a transfer game.

That's how I interpret it, but that's just my thinking.

But that would explain a lot of the trouble we're having determining how many are made, how many we're getting, and who's getting what.

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Apparently ADM and other shenanigans with Hondas has been a thing since the 80's.

I read a story, and looked into it a bit to make sure it was true, that a bunch of dealers sued/lodged complaints against Honda because they couldn't get any Honda's on their lots. It turned out that regional reps were getting personal kick backs from dealers to allocate more cars to them, which caused a bunch of other dealers to not get any.

Fast forward a few years, Honda implemented a computer based allocation system that allocates cars how ever it does. Now regional reps can't play favorites for additional cars, but, now they don't have a clue what's coming or who's getting what until it shows up in transit/inventory. If a dealer wants a specific car they find one in the system sitting on another dealer's lot and they play a transfer game.

That's how I interpret it, but that's just my thinking.

But that would explain a lot of the trouble we're having determining how many are made, how many we're getting, and who's getting what.
this makes sense ! I imagine this practice of trading desired vehicle between dealers - leads to ADM - really not fair on the consumers / enthusiasts. Oh well...

Might be buying a charger scat pack instead of type R. Fail HONDA !

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Production for each subsequent model was increased. The fk2 had a shorten life due to it being released towards the end of the 9th gen cycle. I find it hard to believe that they will cap it at a hard 13000 when there is still demand and the type r was released early in the 10th gen cycle.
I find it hard for Honda to "saturate" the market with CTRs tho. Last thing they need is to have the "halo" car be a dime-a-dozen. Basically, I'm not sure Honda want everyone and their grand dads to be able to walk into a Honda dealer and find readily available on the show room floor. The Honda CTR commercial also suggest limited production number, as one of the commercials said "cars like these don't last forever".

Correction: I think the quote is "cars like this don't come around often".

Last edited:

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
The only reason Honda stopped at 16k FK2's is because it came out late in the cycle and production ended when the plant was retooled for FK8's. This time the Type R came out within a year of the base car so we should expect these cars to roll off the assembly line until they stop production of the current KF8 Civic Hatchback.
Exactly. Let's forget that I've talked to people I know at Honda America that tell me the car will live on through the FK8 life-cycle. They could be wrong, but I trust them way more than I trust dealers.

I still don't get the business case for this idea that Honda is going to kill off a car right after they've launched it. Honda makes no more money selling cars with high ADMs. Their price to dealers doesn't increase if the dealers sell it for more than MSRP so the dealers are the only ones that profit. Honda has to recoup its investment in the development of the car and it can only do that if it sells a lot of them. If the car was a dog and sitting on lots unsold BELOW sticker, then absolutely, I could see them kill it off. If the current Civic were about to be replaced (just like the FK2 situation) I could see them killing it off. The main reason the car is limited is because of capacity. I'm sure if Honda could make twice as many as they can now, they would... at least until the demand slowed.

Other than that, this idea is being fed by dealers justifying their ADMs. I talked to my dealers and told them not to BS me about it. I know the car is in short supply. They don't need any other justification for the ADM. Pretty funny how they change their tune and stop telling me it is "limited" when they know you don't need a justification for the ADM. Even dealers don't like lying when they know they don't have to. :)

dohcredsol

First Name
dohcredsol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Civic Type R
Country flag
This coming from one of Honda’s videos:

Read the fine print

Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Production Numbers 48FD8AF8-6AB0-4702-9A92-2D9797DA57AF

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I find it hard for Honda to "saturate" the market with CTRs tho. Last thing they need is to have the "halo" car be a dime-a-dozen. Basically, I'm not sure Honda want everyone and their grand dads to be able to walk into a Honda dealer and find readily available on the show room floor. The Honda CTR commercial also suggest limited production number, as one of the commercials said "cars like these don't last forever".

Correction: I think the quote is "cars like this don't come around often".
It's not like they are loosing money making the car... The car doesn't really compete with anything else in their own lineup... Are you saying Honda doesn't like money?

They've basically said they want to make as many as they can sell...

One thing that might be confounding is generally sports cars like these (see s2000) have great sales first 2-3 years and then plummets off a cliff after everyone who wants one has one. They might have a good estimate and market research on total sales and want to drag it out over the lifetime run.

edit: and calling a $34k car a halo car is a little... especially when the NSX exists. I mean you can build an accord that costs more than that.
Sponsored

Last edited: