Type R Owners, Is it worth it to trade up my 2016 Civic EX-T for a Type R?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I got my EX-T in like mid January and ive been reading up on the Type R recently and now ive just been drooling over the thought of owning one. Is it a dumb idea to trade up my car already having owned it for only 3 months? Should i wait a while and pay it off more before trading? What do you think?
You've lost value on the car already and can already kiss your downpayment goodbye, I'm not sure if you're upside down on the loan, but that may factor in too. If you can afford it, by all means, do what you want with your money. From a financial standpoint, it doesn't really make sense. But you're not asking from a financial standpoint, are you?
Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Life is short. If you can afford the hit, go for it.

Me personally, I'd live with what I bought and learn the lesson for next time. A car is a relatively large purchase. Go into with open eyes next time, do your research and recognize what you value and what you want. In 3-5 years, the math is better for you. EX-T is a good car - try to enjoy it.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
The Type R isn't any more overstyled than something like a modern STI. They both all have big wings, random vents, hood scoops, etc. Unless you're really close up to it, you don't really "see" all the extras. That said, I do daily my Type R because it's still a Civic (with all of its utility) with some extra grunt for when the road clears up, and boy is it fun when the road clears up just a little. The reward of being to take a turn hard simply because it occurred by chance or zooming through an on/off ramp because it's empty, even during my daily 30-minute commute...
Good, glad you’re pleased with the decision.... Me? I paid my car off in full, invested the 15-20k difference, and plan on trading my Civic in after the warranty expires as a downpayment for a Porsche 718 or GTR or ... Type R.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You've lost value on the car already and can already kiss your downpayment goodbye, I'm not sure if you're upside down on the loan, but that may factor in too. If you can afford it, by all means, do what you want with your money. From a financial standpoint, it doesn't really make sense. But you're not asking from a financial standpoint, are you?
Finance is literally the entire premise of the OP’s question ... and it is a terrible choice (financially). The last thing you should do 3 months after buying a car is “trade” for another, more expensive, car.

Unless you won the lottery in those 3 months

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Everything I've read about the car is great, but don't put yourself in a financial bind to get one. I don't know what the market is for a used CTR or if you'd consider one, but people do buy used performance cars. Maybe pay off some on what you have & keep a look out for used CTR. Just a thought.

If they got rid of that huge spoiler & made a coupe version that looked like an Si then I might buy one.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I got my EX-T in like mid January and ive been reading up on the Type R recently and now ive just been drooling over the thought of owning one. Is it a dumb idea to trade up my car already having owned it for only 3 months? Should i wait a while and pay it off more before trading? What do you think?
No, don't do it. You are going to lose $4,000 on the car you bought just two months ago, plus an additional $10,000 or more for what? So, you are going to pay an extra $15,000 to get a car which is only marginally better. It is the same car with a bigger engine. Yes, it is much faster, but how often are you going to see the difference? You can go quite fast with the EX-T as well, and I bet you are not driving to the limits of that car, either.

So no, don't do it. Enjoy the car you have. It is a great car.

Last edited:

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
While in traffic, which is when i do most of my driving, the huge spoiler and 3 exhaust tips wont be nearly as cool to warrant the increased cost as the CVT car i paid half the price for.

Now, if my Type R was chilling in the garage until track day/joy ride - woo hoo ... i respect the car, it’s a beast, I just think they look absolutely ridiculous driving around suburban side streets or stuck in city traffic. They look like they belong on the track ... they perform like they belong on the track ... i wouldn’t waste my money on a “performance daily driver”. I’m sure it is fun to merge onto highways without traffic though ...

Not anti-Type R, just don’t think I’d ever get to unleash it’s potential as often as I’d like to if it were my daily.

Soooooooooooo.... essentially your saying that any performance car is a terrible daily?
Tell that to a GTR, Corvette, Porche, ect owner...

I mean just look at them Type R drivers.
With their big ol wangs and tri-tip exhaust.
And that big ol smile the driver has...

800hp car = bad daily
300hp Type R = DAILY PARTY

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I don't recommend taking the financial hit. The Type R is a great machine but you should really wait until you are in a better situation with the value of your current vehicle versus what you owe on it. Just my thought, you do you.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Soooooooooooo.... essentially your saying that any performance car is a terrible daily?
Tell that to the GTR, Corvette, Porche, ect owners...

I mean just look at them Type R drivers.
With their big ol wangs and tri-tip exhaust.
And that big ol smile the driver has...

800hp car = bad daily
300hp Type R = DAILY PARTY
I like the Type R ... I like the Type R ... I like the Type R ... i didn’t catch those “big ol smile”s you mentioned though, because traffic and speed limits. Enjoy your car.

* Yes, a performance car is a waste of money as a daily driver. Traffic, 25 MPH speed limits local, 65 MPH highway speed limits sure do limit how much fun i’d Legally be inclined to have with it ... not to mention the obnoxious styling would be a cop magnet in my area.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Everything I've read about the car is great, but don't put yourself in a financial bind to get one. I don't know what the market is for a used CTR or if you'd consider one, but people do buy used performance cars. Maybe pay off some on what you have & keep a look out for used CTR. Just a thought.

If they got rid of that huge spoiler & made a coupe version that looked like an Si then I might buy one.
This guy/girl gets it. That spoiler is so obnoxious and serves little to no actual function in daily driving.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question is, why did you buy an EXT? The type R is out of my price range. I bought an EXT and just purchased Ktuner. Great improvement over stock.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
I like the Type R ... I like the Type R ... I like the Type R ... i didn’t catch those “big ol smile”s you mentioned though, because traffic and speed limits. Enjoy your car.

* Yes, a performance car is a waste of money as a daily driver. Traffic, 25 MPH speed limits local, 65 MPH highway speed limits sure do limit how much fun i’d Legally be inclined to have with it ... not to mention the obnoxious styling would be a cop magnet in my area.
Bet you get pretty WILD at parties sir.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Owners, Is it worth it to trade up my 2016 Civic EX-T for a Type R? Screenshot_20190304-203717

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMO no... but maybe for different reasons.

You bought your Civic and already have buyers remorse just a few months later. I don't know that a CTR will change it. If you want to look at a CTR, I'd look at all comparable cars and make a more informed decision. It sounds like you initial decision was not a good one... and I'll assume the money isn't that much if an issue if you're considering adding around $20k to whatever your existing loan balance is... or nearly the cost of another EX-L, once you factor in the difference in the cost of cars, the tax on the difference, and the loss from a bit from depreciation.

IMO, it's a terrible decision... but make sure you're going the right way trading a Civic for another Civic, even if it's a CTR. While it may have double the power and be a very different experience behind the wheel... it is still a Civic and a good deal of the day-to-day experience would also be the same.

Snowwolfe

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LX CVT sedan, blue. 2019 F250 Super Duty Lariat 2017 Ford Expedition
Country flag
First, call your insurance company for a quote. If you can afford the insurance and will not be upside down on your car loan then go for it.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First, call your insurance company for a quote. If you can afford the insurance and will not be upside down on your car loan then go for it.
That’s a fair point, except so far insurance companies, at least in VA, don’t consider it a sports car...well no more than an Si. My rate hardly changed going to the CTR. BUT

The cost to daily drive a CTR is more expensive. That is something else to factor in. Replacing the tires every 10K or replacing them with harder tires and different rims....just keeps adding up. It’s my “daily driver” but I put less than 5k miles/year on my car. So not an issue for me.

Something to consider. How many hours would you have to work to make the $4000 you’re walking away from? Even if you make $100000/year it’s over 100 hours of your life (after taxes) spent earning that much money.
Sponsored