Type R Owners, Is it worth it to trade up my 2016 Civic EX-T for a Type R?

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
While in traffic, which is when i do most of my driving, the huge spoiler and 3 exhaust tips wont be nearly as cool to warrant the increased cost as the CVT car i paid half the price for.

Now, if my Type R was chilling in the garage until track day/joy ride - woo hoo ... i respect the car, it’s a beast, I just think they look absolutely ridiculous driving around suburban side streets or stuck in city traffic. They look like they belong on the track ... they perform like they belong on the track ... i wouldn’t waste my money on a “performance daily driver”. I’m sure it is fun to merge onto highways without traffic though ...

Not anti-Type R, just don’t think I’d ever get to unleash it’s potential as often as I’d like to if it were my daily.
Acceleration isn’t against the law! I love daily driving my Type R. Click on Comfort mode and it’s a cushy freeway drive. And hit the R+ switch and seek out a twisty road. The handling is the top performance feature of this car, IMO, not necessarily the power.

I traded in my Orange Si Coupe (the NA 2.4 liter engine) and I spent a large amount of money and time doing upgrades. I loved that car. The only thing I’ve even been interested in changing on the Type R is new (lighter FlowOne F4) wheels and All-season 24535ZR/19 tires. After 26,000 miles the 19” rims with 35 aspect tires seems to be reasonably impervious to random pothole damage.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From a stop if you launch it hard you just get wheel hop and wheelspin, and if you’re just driving it normally then you have to contend with the turbo lag (which until it’s above 3K RPM the turbo lag is very noticeable).

Most of the power on this car comes either midway through the powerband, and it doesn’t let out until redline, but when you drive it like that you are probably going extralegal speeds unless you’re in 1st gear . That’s not to say this engine is bad, it’s fantastic, but to truly appreciate it you kind of have to be driving hard, which isn’t the smartest thing to do on public roads.

The handling is the one aspect of this car that completes it. It handles like it’s on rails mixed with meth. Nothing fazes this thing. I have yet to find the understeer limit in this car with my summer tires on and I’ve pushed it HARD going through some curves.

I love the ride quality in comfort mode but holy hell the gas pedal becomes numb as hell. I really wish Honda had it so I could customize the driving modes, like the Golf R or Veloster N.