Type R owners, Check your rotors for cracks!

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6
Country flag
My passenger side factory rotor had a crack about 180 degrees around it really close to the center. Found it at 13,000 miles. Dealer I bought it from replaced it no charge under warranty. Jus wanted to gove everyone a heads up to check theirs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R owners, Check your rotors for cracks! AD7B682E-0760-49CC-93A6-B308F8082F87
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
is it a crack or just a gouge from debris? It doesnt seem like the crack continues through the drilled hole.

Either way, good on the dealer for replacing it I suppose.

OP
OP

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, it was a crack. Over halfway round the rotor.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
gotcha. I'm not sure what i'm looking for in the picture then.

CTR SHARK

First Name
karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
@BrandonCTRWV Curious what you ordered for replacement, did you go back to OEM or aftermarket? please share Will be underneath the car later today and will be sure to check them out. (also at the same mileage as your post, 14K)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
@BrandonCTRWV Curious what you ordered for replacement, did you go back to OEM or aftermarket? please share Will be underneath the car later today and will be sure to check them out. (also at the same mileage as your post, 14K)
Dealer can only do warranty part on OEM parts if I’m not mistaken. Bad part gets sent back to Honda.

OP
OP

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dealership replaced it under warranty. Car had bout 12k miles when I noticed it.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I still don't see any cracking. There is a groove in the rotor, but cracking would be present on the inner face of the cross drilled holes that intersect the groove, which (from the photo you posted) isn't the case. Also, the failure mode for cross-drilled rotors when they crack are cracks in a straight line branching out radially from cross-drilled holes, not 180* circumferentially.

Photo to illustrate what I mean:

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R owners, Check your rotors for cracks! cracked_rotor

OP
OP

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, the dealership replaced it. The reason they replaced it, it was cracked 180 degrees around the circumference of the rotor. I dont know what else you want me to say...... Cant help that ya cant see it in the pic, guess I should have taken a better picture so you could verify the rotor was cracked for me because I guess Im an idiot and dont know what a cracked rotor looks like and neither does Lester Raines Honda. Next time I take pictures of something, Ill send em to u first so you authenticate them.
I still don't see any cracking. There is a groove in the rotor, but cracking would be present on the inner face of the cross drilled holes that intersect the groove, which (from the photo you posted) isn't the case. Also, the failure mode for cross-drilled rotors when they crack are cracks in a straight line branching out radially from cross-drilled holes, not 180* circumferentially.

Photo to illustrate what I mean:

cracked_rotor.jpg

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Well, the dealership replaced it. The reason they replaced it, it was cracked 180 degrees around the circumference of the rotor. I dont know what else you want me to say...... Cant help that ya cant see it in the pic, guess I should have taken a better picture so you could verify the rotor was cracked for me because I guess Im an idiot and dont know what a cracked rotor looks like and neither does Lester Raines Honda. Next time I take pictures of something, Ill send em to u first so you authenticate them.
There is no crack in your picture, just a groove in the rotor (crack would be visible through the cross drilled holes) - don't see why you're getting mad about it.

Lots of dealers have replaced CTR rotors due to grooving as a goodwill gesture (even though it's perfectly normal). I've also seen service departments recommend replacing rotors due to "warping", even though it's basically impossible to have warped rotors (pad deposits 99.99% of the time). I wouldn't put a ton of stock into a dealer actually knowing what they are doing.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Driller or slotted rotors have but one up on cheap blanks, they look cool. So if you want brakes for braking don’t waste your money on holes or slots. Pure gimmick.
Sponsored