spyderman

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 MR2 Spyder with K24 swap
Country flag
Tried water wetter last summer - no help. Also tried heater full blast, removing the engine belly pan and switching to Motul 8100 5w30 full synthetic but no help when temperatures were over 80 degrees F. If temperatures are in low 70`s or less you can run all day with no problems. Like I said before, I have 2 friends who own these cars and are experiencing same problems.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appropriate license plate to let the cars behind know to get ready for the point by.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Overheating at the Track CE7033B1-CC23-4D40-9508-D28FAE99F4F8

ldooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Of course they want you to believe that the CTR overheats so they can sell you their products.
You know how i know you've never tracked your CTR?

I was just at thunderhill this weekend, it was 85-90 out, all the guys in CTRs couldnt do more than 2 laps without having to come off the track

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
You know how i know you've never tracked your CTR?

I was just at thunderhill this weekend, it was 85-90 out, all the guys in CTRs couldnt do more than 2 laps without having to come off the track
Youā€™re probably referring to experienced, but less developed drivers then. Developed drivers can feel and read the cars limits while still extracting the most out it so they donā€™t overheat or overdrive it. Iā€™m not overheating either and Iā€™ve been tracking for 26 years. Lower speed tracks are not moving as much heat through the system, but a developed driver should be able to adapt to a more momentum style still making better lap times. You canā€™t hammer it like cars 3x+ as much $, but Honda didnā€™t design it that way. They did succeed in designing it to keep up with those cars though interestingly.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has the slight changes to the 2020 model helped at all?

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Youā€™re probably referring to experienced, but less developed drivers then. Developed drivers can feel and read the cars limits while still extracting the most out it so they donā€™t overheat or overdrive it. Iā€™m not overheating either and Iā€™ve been tracking for 26 years. Lower speed tracks are not moving as much heat through the system, but a developed driver should be able to adapt to a more momentum style still making better lap times. You canā€™t hammer it like cars 3x+ as much $, but Honda didnā€™t design it that way. They did succeed in designing it to keep up with those cars though interestingly.

My experience is that the more experienced (and faster) drivers get on the throttle earlier out of a corner and hold the throttle longer on the straight, braking later. Therefore, if you time how long they are full throttle over a lap, they will have higher numbers than a slower driver. This causes the car to overheat, simply because you're full throttle longer. The only way to not overheat is to go slower. There is no magic way to keep going fast and be on the throttle less.

The secret is that the faster drivers drive the car through the corners like a "momentum" car, but still floor it when the road straightens, so they'd still overheat.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Jeezus. This topic has been beat to death already... haha.
I hope people keep posting until a solution (or collection of solutions) that satisfies most experienced drivers is found. Could be years, but I hope not.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
I hope people keep posting until a solution (or collection of solutions) that satisfies most experienced drivers is found. Could be years, but I hope not.
Hopefully the shop I'm working at will have a solution out soon. I feel bad at this point because my mechanic has honestly been trying to release something but he never has time because all these crazy events keep hitting us. haha.

spyderman

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 MR2 Spyder with K24 swap
Country flag
I finally ran my 2018 Type R on a warm day on June 15th. It was 65 degrees in the morning and I got 3 - 20 minute runs in with no temp gauge movement. In the afternoon it went up to 80 degrees and my temp gauge went up past 3/4 hot pushing full hot after 3 laps in my 1st session. It appears my new Mishimoto intercooler and oil cooler and koyo dual core rad made no difference along with my ebay grill, Evasive left parking light grill and lower engine cover removed. I also ran with heater on. The car is still not trackable on a hot day even after all that money and labor and is officially retired until September.
On top of this I ran into another problem. At my May 9th open track day the front left outside caliper bleeder started leaking. I retightened it but it would`t stop. I replaced the leaky bleader with a new OEM unit when I got home but the leak persisted. The inside bleeder was good. I replaced the caliper with a new OEM unit. Problem solved. Nope. At the June 15th event the right hand caliper outside bleeder started leaking and couldn`t be stopped. In both cases no thread or seat problem can be seen and the bleeder valve is not leaking. I have not run into this problem before and I am very careful tightening bleeder screws. I have sent Brembo a note but no reply yet.
I like the car but it is not a track car!

Waynegro372

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mule
Country flag
Thatā€™s is concerning that after all the time and money spent on some of the best reviewed cooling ā€˜upgradesā€™ money can buy and thereā€™s still no real world solution to the CTR overheating on the track on warm days after only a few laps.

What gives? How could Honda possibly overlook this?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I finally ran my 2018 Type R on a warm day on June 15th. It was 65 degrees in the morning and I got 3 - 20 minute runs in with no temp gauge movement. In the afternoon it went up to 80 degrees and my temp gauge went up past 3/4 hot pushing full hot after 3 laps in my 1st session. It appears my new Mishimoto intercooler and oil cooler and koyo dual core rad made no difference along with my ebay grill, Evasive left parking light grill and lower engine cover removed. I also ran with heater on. The car is still not trackable on a hot day even after all that money and labor and is officially retired until September.
On top of this I ran into another problem. At my May 9th open track day the front left outside caliper bleeder started leaking. I retightened it but it would`t stop. I replaced the leaky bleader with a new OEM unit when I got home but the leak persisted. The inside bleeder was good. I replaced the caliper with a new OEM unit. Problem solved. Nope. At the June 15th event the right hand caliper outside bleeder started leaking and couldn`t be stopped. In both cases no thread or seat problem can be seen and the bleeder valve is not leaking. I have not run into this problem before and I am very careful tightening bleeder screws. I have sent Brembo a note but no reply yet.
Were you on factory tune?

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I've used my 2019 CTR to instruct at 12 events at VIR since purchasing it last May. It has NEVER overheated.

Once I got a warning in murderous July heat but the car did not go into limp mode.

Yes it loses power as it gets hot.

Yes you can mitigate someone by running the heater full tilt.

And no, pro drivers don't 'manage the car better' to keep it cooler. Randy Pobst took me out a few weeks ago at VIR & cooled the car down after every two hot laps for half a lap because it was running hot (but did not overheat\go into limp mode).

To say this car isn't trackable in stock trim is nonsense.

The car cools down so quickly it's likely a radiator sizing issue.

My car is bone stock (save for brakes & tires).

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
What other mods do you have? Additionally, it's been pretty widely known amongst those that actually track their cars that aftermarket intercoolers lead to WORSE heat problems. The larger aftarmarket units (Mishimoto being the worst offender) simply block air to the radiator.
Sponsored