Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I finally ran my 2018 Type R on a warm day on June 15th. It was 65 degrees in the morning and I got 3 - 20 minute runs in with no temp gauge movement. In the afternoon it went up to 80 degrees and my temp gauge went up past 3/4 hot pushing full hot after 3 laps in my 1st session. It appears my new Mishimoto intercooler and oil cooler and koyo dual core rad made no difference along with my ebay grill, Evasive left parking light grill and lower engine cover removed. I also ran with heater on. The car is still not trackable on a hot day even after all that money and labor and is officially retired until September.
On top of this I ran into another problem. At my May 9th open track day the front left outside caliper bleeder started leaking. I retightened it but it would`t stop. I replaced the leaky bleader with a new OEM unit when I got home but the leak persisted. The inside bleeder was good. I replaced the caliper with a new OEM unit. Problem solved. Nope. At the June 15th event the right hand caliper outside bleeder started leaking and couldn`t be stopped. In both cases no thread or seat problem can be seen and the bleeder valve is not leaking. I have not run into this problem before and I am very careful tightening bleeder screws. I have sent Brembo a note but no reply yet.
I like the car but it is not a track car!
Your Mishimoto intercooler is blocking a ton of airflow to your radiator. Go back to stock IC and see how the ECTs drop.
Sponsored

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Your Mishimoto intercooler is blocking a ton of airflow to your radiator. Go back to stock IC and see how the ECTs drop.
Cars with OEM intercooler also overheat badly, because with a higher IAT the ECU will command more boost to achieve the same torque and more boost = more heat.

It is hard to refer to all the earlier posts as I can't tell who is running what tune - I believe that running any OTS tune (torque targets in the 480-510s Nm) will render the CTR untrackable.

For me the following combo worked well enough to drive a 15 min session in 80 F ambient:
- open "ebay" grill,
- turbo blanket,
- motorsport coolant additive,
- catless downpipe,
- custom tune with lowered fan temps and a 450 Nm/330 ft-lbs max. torque,

Worked well both with OEM and Wagner intercoolers.

billabongrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 92 Integra track rat
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Overheating at the Track 873E3ED6-7333-4699-A65D-E627FC10A003

Eh? I dunno about a $480 radiator though. Maybe someone else wants to check it out? Iā€™d wait for the Chinese equivalent to pop onto eBay. ? The core volume interests me; however, if it doesnā€™t get enough air itā€™s just more hot water.
Has anyone tried the spoon thermostat? Seems to get working sooner ~20 degree difference or so. Anytime Iā€™ve played thermostat games in the past Iā€™ve matched my fan switch to ensure one portion of the system isnā€™t overloaded more than the other.
disclaimer: I havenā€™t tracked my CTR yet, but plan to and live in TX. Have turbo integra that runs 30 min sessions w/o problem.

Last edited:

spyderman

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 MR2 Spyder with K24 swap
Country flag
I've used my 2019 CTR to instruct at 12 events at VIR since purchasing it last May. It has NEVER overheated.

Once I got a warning in murderous July heat but the car did not go into limp mode.

Yes it loses power as it gets hot.

Yes you can mitigate someone by running the heater full tilt.

And no, pro drivers don't 'manage the car better' to keep it cooler. Randy Pobst took me out a few weeks ago at VIR & cooled the car down after every two hot laps for half a lap because it was running hot (but did not overheat\go into limp mode).

To say this car isn't trackable in stock trim is nonsense.

The car cools down so quickly it's likely a radiator sizing issue.

My car is bone stock (save for brakes & tires).

spyderman

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 MR2 Spyder with K24 swap
Country flag
I agree that it cools down quickly if you back off for 1/2 to 1 full lap or so but as soon as you get on it again it goes full hot almost immediately and you have to pit.
My car has a stock tune. It does have a Mishimoto intake besides the Mishimoto intercooler and oil cooler, Koyo rad and ebay grill.
I have tried water wetter but no change. I also run with the heater on.
I have friends with 2017 and another 2018 CTR`s but they can`t run on hot days either without overheating ( 80 or over ). Both their cars are stock.
My dual core Koyo radiator doesn`t seem to help at all.
What I meant is the car is not trackable on a hot day - over 80 degrees - is the way Honda designed it.
My friend with the other 2018 CTR is installing a used hood with cut out heat vents and we are waiting on results. Anybody try that yet?
At this point I am open to any ideas.

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
I've used my 2019 CTR to instruct at 12 events at VIR since purchasing it last May. It has NEVER overheated.

Once I got a warning in murderous July heat but the car did not go into limp mode.

Yes it loses power as it gets hot.

Yes you can mitigate someone by running the heater full tilt.

And no, pro drivers don't 'manage the car better' to keep it cooler. Randy Pobst took me out a few weeks ago at VIR & cooled the car down after every two hot laps for half a lap because it was running hot (but did not overheat\go into limp mode).

To say this car isn't trackable in stock trim is nonsense.

The car cools down so quickly it's likely a radiator sizing issue.

My car is bone stock (save for brakes & tires).
We have different definitions of Pro Drivers. The car is trackable stock in most temps and performs as intended and sold. Pro drivers are by definition ā€˜Professionalā€™ thereby are capable of managing all track dynamics. Plenty of actual professional drivers have over driven plenty of track prepared cars in anger, but as they matured they learned to listen to the engineers, not overdrive the car, and still perform well.

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
I just wanted to chime in... I am on stock everything minus a hondata basemap. Ran time attacks in Colorado with 0 heat issues (typically 60-70Ā°F). I moved to Cali a while ago and just did a track day at Chuckwalla Raceway. It was 108Ā°F ambient at the hottest point. Knowing that heating was going to be an issue I started every warmup lap with the heater on 1/2 fan speed. I had to either do a very mild cool down lap or pull to the pits after 1-2 laps because my temp gauge was shooting up at light speed. I saw ~240Ā°f of coolant temps at the end of a hard lap while a GT500R and GT350R were doing 5-8 laps before needing to cool off. The Type r almost instantly cooled off, however so it's very strange to me.

I will be doing an intercooler, radiator and oil cooler in the future if I continue to run hot summer track days.

Just food for thought here! Thanks!

Last edited:

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I just wanted to chime in... I am on stock everything minus a hondata basemap. Ran time attacks in Colorado with 0 heat issues (typically 60-70Ā°F). I moved to Cali a while ago and just did a track day at Chuckwalla Raceway. It was 108Ā°F ambient at the hottest point. Knowing that heating was going to be an issue I started every warmup lap with the heater on 1/2 fan speed. I had to either do a very mild cool down lap or pull to the pits after 1-2 laps because my temp gauge was shooting up at light speed. I saw ~240Ā°f of coolant temps at the end of a hard lap while a GT500R and GT350R were doing 5-8 laps before needing to cool off. The Type r almost instantly cooled off, however so it's very strange to me.

I will be doing an intercooler and oil cooler in the future if I continue to run hot summer track days.

Just food for thought here! Thanks!
Refer to my thread on cooling. IC is one of the last things you want

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/overheating-what-you-can-do-to-stop-it.54612/

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra