Type R on a UHaul car hauler. Can I do it?

Cuban-B33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tundra, 1984 CJ7 with a VW TDI
Country flag
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm looking to buy a 2021 Type R, and found that the local dealerships (three of them) are willing to charge a premium on their vehicles. That said, I found another one close to me (about 80 miles) so I plan to go pick it up. I currently drive a 2018 Tundra and have towed a bunch with it, and was wondering if anyone has ever loaded up a factory Type R onto it. I had planned to take an Uber, and get a hotel for Friday night, but this is cheaper and would take less time.

So can I get a Type R onto a car hauler?

Thanks!
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
80 miles away? Uber and drive it back. I once flew to Vegas ($69 ?), Ubered to the dealer (from the airport), picked up a Honda Fit and drove back home to SoCal.

Last edited:

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I trailered mine when I moved states. Needed 2x4's under the ramp so it wouldn't scrape. Unless you're talking about the 2 wheel trailer.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R on a UHaul car hauler. Can I do it? IMG_3754

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I wish I had been able to find a dealer that close. The best deal I could find was 550 miles from home. Had a blast driving it back though and also made me realize how great the R is with long distances. There is a good reason they classify it as a Touring. And the seats - wow, can sit in them all day comfortably. They can look deceiving but seriously, they might be the best seats I’ve ever had in a car.

OP
OP

Cuban-B33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wish I had been able to find a dealer that close. The best deal I could find was 550 miles from home. Had a blast driving it back though and also made me realize how great the R is with long distances. There is a good reason they classify it as a Touring. And the seats - wow, can sit in them all day comfortably. They can look deceiving but seriously, they might be the best seats I’ve ever had in a car.
I sat in them today, and to say I was impressed is not giving them justice. I'm probably going through a mid-life (39), and needed a fun DD to go back and forth the work. I looked at a new Supra Premium last night, but once I sat in the Type R I figured it was for me. I've been reading for a while about them, and the dealers that want to charge 4-5K over MSRP. I'm just lucky I found this one.

Also forgot that my sister has a beach house near where the car is, and she goes there every weekend. This might be easier than I had thought. Damn tunnel vision.

Thanks for every response.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I sat in them today, and to say I was impressed is not giving them justice. I'm probably going through a mid-life (39), and needed a fun DD to go back and forth the work. I looked at a new Supra Premium last night, but once I sat in the Type R I figured it was for me. I've been reading for a while about them, and the dealers that want to charge 4-5K over MSRP. I'm just lucky I found this one.

Also forgot that my sister has a beach house near where the car is, and she goes there every weekend. This might be easier than I had thought. Damn tunnel vision.

Thanks for every response.
Myrtle Beach?? Those beach apartments are actually affordable. Mid-life crisis involving a CTR is a good thing! Good luck on your new ride!

OP
OP

Cuban-B33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Myrtle Beach?? Those beach apartments are actually affordable. Mid-life crisis involving a CTR is a good thing! Good luck on your new ride!
Not Myrtle Beach, lol.

Thank you though. I'm super excited.

OP
OP

Cuban-B33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just found out that the dealership had a Kahu tracker installed. Not sure I'm keen on spending 40K on a car that's had one of their techs hack the factory harness to install a tracking system that the dealership benefits from by selling your info. Kinda sucks.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Just found out that the dealership had a Kahu tracker installed. Not sure I'm keen on spending 40K on a car that's had one of their techs hack the factory harness to install a tracking system that the dealership benefits from by selling your info. Kinda sucks.
Probably not an absolute deal breaker for me but I feel you. Still have some time though before the 21’s disappear. Maybe you can find another one? I have a lead on a BB in Missouri for MSRP if you are interested.

OP
OP

Cuban-B33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably not an absolute deal breaker for me but I feel you. Still have some time though before the 21’s disappear. Maybe you can find another one? I have a lead on a BB in Missouri for MSRP if you are interested.
I'm very meticulous when it comes to modifying my vehicles, and don't have any techs work on them. I'm a retired Coast Guard diesel mechanic (hence why my CJ has a VW TDI in it), and did all the wiring, welding, and built the engine. I do plan to modify the CTR (nothing too crazy, intercooler if the added power w/ the tune increases IAT's a ton), but I'll do it right, because it's my own vehicle, lol.

It is convenient that he's so close, but this Kahu device, and the dealership selling my information to Spireon, and them trying to sell it as a device that only I have access to, just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to see what they announce for the 2022's. I've heard the rumors, and wonder how it would change the price of the 21's left on the lot. I'm in no hurry to get one though.

Thank you for the offer on the CTR in Missouri. If it comes to that, I'll reach back out. Thanks again.

OP
OP

Cuban-B33

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well the car sold last night, no biggie. Probably a sign, lol.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2022 production sedan will be unveiled before the end of spring (mid June). But the hatchback announcement may take up to a year (May 2022) if Honda follows 10th-gen timetable. And the Type R another 6 months after that. Let’s hope sooner rather than later now that production is brought back to the US.
Sponsored