Type R oem shocks adaptive?

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
is the Type R shocks adaptive variable?
Meaning when the car turns it reacts by stiffening one side of the car, or if braking/accelerating it will stiffen front or rear shocks?

Are the Si shocks adaptive variable?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
is the Type R shocks adaptive variable?
Meaning when the car turns it reacts by stiffening one side of the car, or if braking/accelerating it will stiffen front or rear shocks?

Are the Si shocks adaptive variable?
I could be mistaken, but I do not believe they are.

dunphyjp

PiRRRateJack
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘01 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe, 19’ Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They are not, they’re also not magride dampers. What it does do is have basically an electronically adjusted valve increasing or decreasing the diameter for the fluid to run through (therefore adjusting the stiffness of their shocks). Two settings for Si and 3 for the CTR. But no I they are not adaptive.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adaptive, semi-active, real-time damping, they are just terms describing the same thing. And yes CTR shocks are adaptive. As are the ones on SI. Base technology on the Civic is supplied by ZF Sachs(Sachs calls it CDC, or Continuous Damping Control). Its as the previous post said, an electronically controlled solenoid valve, that adjusts in real-time based on programmed algorithm thats designed to react and maintain the vehicle wheel and body control, as well as affecting handling balance(understeer/oversteer balance). MR shocks are not the only technology that does this, and not even the newest. Most technology has ability to vary damping force from full soft to full stiff in less than 20ms, depends on valving design they may be able to vary that many times within the same shock stroke(some can't like Bilstein's as used on GTR or Porsches)

As to the difference between SI and Type R. Type R uses more sophisticated input signal to get more resolution on its control, it has 4 suspension travel sensors, one at each corner, so it not only knows the body/wheel position, it can also do more effective end-stop control(large bump, suspension about to bottom out, it will know when the shock is about to run out of travel and attempt to control that with damping force). This is also supplemented by multiple(3 or more) accelerometers around the car to monitor body acceleration and yaw response to do the handling control. IIRC SI does not use suspension level sensor, but does use the accelerometer. So it does not do the fine wheel control but will have real influence on handling and body movement.

I spent first 6 years of my engineering career working on adaptive shocks, this is my first car that comes with them.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Looking at the Sachs pdf brochure:

CDC® – Continuous Damping Control
The technology:
CDC® is an electronic damping system that notice- ably increases driving safety, comfort, and dyna- mics by adjusting damping forces optimally for each individual wheel. A control unit calculates the requisite damping forces within milliseconds, and adjusts the dampers just as quickly. Vehicle sensors monitor values such as body, wheel, and lateral acceleration, and use them to generate the ideal damping forces for each individual wheel on a continuous basis. The CustomizedLine includes the CDC® actuators; the ActiveLine goes beyond the actuators to offer the entire system consisting of actuators, sensors, hardware, and software.
It really is like Magnaride, but It is probably not quite as fast reacting. Just my speculation.
Source page 14: https://www.zf.com/products/media/en/product_media/cars_5/pkw_daempfungsmodule.pdf
Sponsored