RazorBc

First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2017 Z06, 1980 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
the GBP has been stronger compared to the USD, I am sure currency has something to do with it since it is being made in the UK.
Sponsored

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Was this directed at me or someone else?

the GBP has been stronger compared to the USD, I am sure currency has something to do with it since it is being made in the UK.
GBP has actually weakened significantly. This time last year it was around 1.33 GBP/USD and it is now 1.25 GBP/USD. So 6% weaker YoY.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Actually, looking at my last post with the screen grab from Honda Auto's website, it seems like they're saying the $36,300 INCLUDES the $930 shipping. Whatever, dealers will stick to the $37k number regardless

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Yall know stuff gets more expensive because of stock holders and investors. They gotta keep getting money and their investments to increase so only way companies can do that is to raise prices. manufacturing does not get MORE expensive if anything the longer a product is on the market the cheaper it is to make not the other way around. machines get paid off and all the capitol investments get paid off so manufacturing costs go down and price goes down and profits go up. The only reason a company increases a products price is because they have to keep padding the investors pockets.

phoenix_fire8086

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Honda Civic DX (hatchback)
Country flag
Now would be a good time for Honda to come out with that lower trim Type R that looked like it might actually come out at one point (see below link for thread):
Cheaper Entry-Level 2018 Civic Type R variant coming?!

Not to mention, we've already seen spy shots of some Type R variant with a smaller spoiler, so we know they've at least been testing different designs.
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R MSRP Increasing to $37,230 honda-civic-type-r-facelift-spy-photo

https://www.motor1.com/news/252579/honda-civic-type-r-facelift/

Personally, I'd love if they came out with at trim with 18" wheels and a full 3 seats in the rear row, and a smaller spoiler would be great too.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Actually, looking at my last post with the screen grab from Honda Auto's website, it seems like they're saying the $36,300 INCLUDES the $930 shipping. Whatever, dealers will stick to the $37k number regardless
no, your were right. if you go to build summary it'll show 37230.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
This & the ADMs is seriously off-putting. A substantial element of this car being FWD is to keep it inexpensive. If the morons @ Subaru weren't still cranking out the STI with a 15+ year-old engine, I'd be strongly considering that instead.
Lmao OK :rolleyes1:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now would be a good time for Honda to come out with that lower trim Type R that looked like it might actually come out at one point (see below link for thread):
Cheaper Entry-Level 2018 Civic Type R variant coming?!

Not to mention, we've already seen spy shots of some Type R variant with a smaller spoiler, so we know they've at least been testing different designs.
honda-civic-type-r-facelift-spy-photo.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/252579/honda-civic-type-r-facelift/

Personally, I'd love if they came out with at trim with 18" wheels and a full 3 seats in the rear row, and a smaller spoiler would be great too.
They need the family sedan version and the I wanna race it version. I see lots of people who want this car to be a living room on the inside. As for me I want a pure driving experience . That was why I bought it. I dont want all that bells and whistles assist stuff and fluff.

Last edited:

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'm not sure I read every post on this thread, but maybe they are raising the price because they can? Because the car is in extremely high demand? It's been out for at least two full years now, and last I checked in my area a week or so ago (Kansas City) there wasn't a car on the lot or even showing 'in transit' to any dealer within 100+ miles. I got mine at the end of May from a dealer that was nearly 200 miles away for MSRP, and feel I got lucky. If I were Honda I'd do the same thing. Supply and demand; supply isn't keeping up, so charge a bit more here and there until you find that equilibrium. Having said that, I find it a little odd that they are doing this so late in the model cycle; surely they only have another month or at most two months of 2019s to build before tooling up for the 2020, but so be it.

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
It's that they've hit on a combination that's not really offered by anyone else, combined with Honda fanboyism & neuroticism.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure I read every post on this thread, but maybe they are raising the price because they can? Because the car is in extremely high demand? It's been out for at least two full years now, and last I checked in my area a week or so ago (Kansas City) there wasn't a car on the lot or even showing 'in transit' to any dealer within 100+ miles. I got mine at the end of May from a dealer that was nearly 200 miles away for MSRP, and feel I got lucky. If I were Honda I'd do the same thing. Supply and demand; supply isn't keeping up, so charge a bit more here and there until you find that equilibrium. Having said that, I find it a little odd that they are doing this so late in the model cycle; surely they only have another month or at most two months of 2019s to build before tooling up for the 2020, but so be it.
I agree with this actually. last week I went across state and stopped by about 9 Honda dealers.. None had a type R. My buddy traded his in and as soon as dealer started to put it on the floor to sell a guy walked up and bought it. sold in like 5 mins. People and magazines keep quoting car.com and other sites and say oh there is 405 for sale... bull.. Thats how many listing dealers have up. one day i called about 20 of them that listed a car for sale and none of them had the actual car. most of those 405 listings are for cars coming in at some point or old ones that were sold. The number of actual Rs on the lot and for sale is much much lower. I see posts all the time of people looking and trying to find one and dealers saying wont be for some time.. 405..doubt it. I would say more like maybe 150 in dealers across the country of real cars on the lot and for sale. My Wilmington dealer said they only had one R for sale this year and my local dealer hasn't had a new one for sale in forever. And the dealer I bought mine from hasnt had one in over 6 months. So find it hard to believe there is over 400 just sitting for sale.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Yall know stuff gets more expensive because of stock holders and investors. They gotta keep getting money and their investments to increase so only way companies can do that is to raise prices. manufacturing does not get MORE expensive if anything the longer a product is on the market the cheaper it is to make not the other way around. machines get paid off and all the capitol investments get paid off so manufacturing costs go down and price goes down and profits go up. The only reason a company increases a products price is because they have to keep padding the investors pockets.
Uhhh, not quite.

There are plenty of production variances which can drive product price increases - raw material purchase price/consumption rate, direct/indirect labor costs, shipping costs, and other fixed/variable overhead costs can all change between the final stage of product planning and production.

Most manufacturers price goods to earn a certain ROCC (return on capital consumed) on their initial capital expenditures. Once all of the COGS are estimated for a given production run, the manufacturer prices the vehicle so that they will earn the target ROCC over the production life of the vehicle. Machines being "paid off" would already be accounted for in the final target ROCC figure.

What likely is happening here is that Honda created a series of estimates in 2015 or 2016 about how much money the Type R program would need to make each year/month/per country. Because of changes in COGS, they have had to raise the price to meet the targets set by those estimates. It is possible (though quite unlikely) that Honda has seen the ADMs most dealers are charging and has decided to claw back some of those ADMs for themselves. However, I don't think that's the scenario we're seeing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.