TYPE R LEDs load resistors

supreme604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got the time to install the turn signal leds from TypeRLEDs. Total came out to about 144$ canadian incl. shipping for 2 sets.

They work without hyperflashing for about 3 seconds and then hyperflash flash inconsistently (sometimes they will blink normally for 3 seconds, and then other times hyperflash in 1 second). I have both front and rears installed.

If I install load resistors for the front bulbs, will this fix the problem of them hyperflashing? I know Jeff from diycarmodz has his version of load resistors but they end up costing another 110 canadian.
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Hopefully they can chime in. If I spent that cash and they still hyperflashed, I’d be a little upset.

LegoEggrollz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic Hatchback LX/Sensing
Country flag
Finally got the time to install the turn signal leds from TypeRLEDs. Total came out to about 144$ canadian incl. shipping for 2 sets.

They work without hyperflashing for about 3 seconds and then hyperflash flash inconsistently (sometimes they will blink normally for 3 seconds, and then other times hyperflash in 1 second). I have both front and rears installed.

If I install load resistors for the front bulbs, will this fix the problem of them hyperflashing? I know Jeff from diycarmodz has his version of load resistors but they end up costing another 110 canadian.
Yes, load resistor's will stop the hyperflashing. i had the exact same issue and was struggling to find decent load resistor's, i bit the bullet and bought them. it sucks but i have heard the amazon load resistors getting up to 300+ degrees, DiyCarModz get's up to about 125-128 degrees.

EDIT: One pair of load resistors for either the front two or rear two will work!

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yes, these load resistors will stop the Hyperflashing, but the solution of adding a LOAD resistor is a BRUTE FORCE solution, and is not ideal

The original Incandescent bulbs draw a significant current, and get hot.
One advantage of the LEDs are that they draw much less current, run cooler, and should last longer, as they do not have a delicate filament to break.

The problem is, the Flash unit want to see the large current draw of the Incandescent bulbs, in order to control the flash timing. When it only sees the very small current taken by the led bulbs, it think the bulb is OFF, and turns it back on again, causing the Hyperinflashing

SO, yes adding a big high wattage, low resistance RESISTOR, fools the flasher into thinking that the light is drawing the expected current, and it flashes normally .. but
the solution is now back to drawing the same high current a the original Incandescent lights, and the power resistor gets HOT (just like the Incandescent bulbs did), so the resistor has to be mounted with care, so not to burn up anything or cause a fire.

And the Big Power Resistor, mounted in a box, with plugs and sockets is RIDICULOUSLY Expensive for what it is !! I guess you are paying for the convenience of it being a simple MOD.

There is an OPTION, that only requires a small (less than ) $1 resistor !!!

The option, is to Modify the Flasher unit, to work with the lower current led bulbs, and the way to do that is to replace the VERY LOW current sensing resistor in the flashing unit, with one that has a higher resistance.
This is NOT the same as adding an external load resistor... the internal sensing resistor need only be a very small 1 watt resistor.

see
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/...-hyper-flash-led-turn-signals-7g-03-07-a.html
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/...-hyper-flash-led-turn-signals-7g-03-07-a.html
While the expensive Power Resistor on a harness solution may be a little simpler to install, the Flasher Modification is a far more elegant solution, and if you can use a simple soldering iron, it is almost as simple to do.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Yes, these load resistors will stop the Hyperflashing, but the solution of adding a LOAD resistor is a BRUTE FORCE solution, and is not ideal

The original Incandescent bulbs draw a significant current, and get hot.
One advantage of the LEDs are that they draw much less current, run cooler, and should last longer, as they do not have a delicate filament to break.

The problem is, the Flash unit want to see the large current draw of the Incandescent bulbs, in order to control the flash timing. When it only sees the very small current taken by the led bulbs, it think the bulb is OFF, and turns it back on again, causing the Hyperinflashing

SO, yes adding a big high wattage, low resistance RESISTOR, fools the flasher into thinking that the light is drawing the expected current, and it flashes normally .. but
the solution is now back to drawing the same high current a the original Incandescent lights, and the power resistor gets HOT (just like the Incandescent bulbs did), so the resistor has to be mounted with care, so not to burn up anything or cause a fire.

And the Big Power Resistor, mounted in a box, with plugs and sockets is RIDICULOUSLY Expensive for what it is !! I guess you are paying for the convenience of it being a simple MOD.

There is an OPTION, that only requires a small (less than ) $1 resistor !!!

The option, is to Modify the Flasher unit, to work with the lower current led bulbs, and the way to do that is to replace the VERY LOW current sensing resistor in the flashing unit, with one that has a higher resistance.
This is NOT the same as adding an external load resistor... the internal sensing resistor need only be a very small 1 watt resistor.

see
While the expensive Power Resistor on a harness solution may be a little simpler to install, the Flasher Modification is a far more elegant solution, and if you can use a simple soldering iron, it is almost as simple to do.
This is basically what I did on my previous Lexus. Do you know where this module is located on our cars? I’m used to it being a simple flasher relay I could unplug, unsure on this car yet.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
This is basically what I did on my previous Lexus. Do you know where this module is located on our cars? I’m used to it being a simple flasher relay I could unplug, unsure on this car yet.
I just pulled the car schematics (10th gen Civics)

Despite what that article depicted, it would seem that the 10th gen Civics use the Body Control Module to drive the Turn signals, and not a simple dedicated flashing turn relay (that could be modified)

So the big Load resistor would seem to be the only practical solution :(

DJayG3

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I got my front and rear LED blinkers from @TypeRLEDs as well, obviously mine hyper flash too...

I've been sitting on it for a bit to determine the best way to proceed with tricking the car into thinking there is a bulb there. The Amazon resistors seem really low tech and I don't like the fact they get so hot that stuff could melt - not cool.

To pay the money for the DIYcarmod resistor kit seems crazy considering we removed a $6 incandescent bulb.

Im on vacation until Friday but I'm hoping to spend some time on Sunday finding the flasher relay and figuring out how to mod that. I know on my STi I bought a $10 flasher relay that made hyper flash a thing of the past - someone in the Honda community needs to make one of these for us!

I think it is incumbent on the seller of the LEDs to provide a complete solution - help us out!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got my front and rear LED blinkers from @TypeRLEDs as well, obviously mine hyper flash too...

I've been sitting on it for a bit to determine the best way to proceed with tricking the car into thinking there is a bulb there. The Amazon resistors seem really low tech and I don't like the fact they get so hot that stuff could melt - not cool.

To pay the money for the DIYcarmod resistor kit seems crazy considering we removed a $6 incandescent bulb.

Im on vacation until Friday but I'm hoping to spend some time on Sunday finding the flasher relay and figuring out how to mod that. I know on my STi I bought a $10 flasher relay that made hyper flash a thing of the past - someone in the Honda community needs to make one of these for us!

I think it is incumbent on the seller of the LEDs to provide a complete solution - help us out!
DJ -- there is No FLASHER RELAY on the 2019 Si to "MOD" .. the flasher is built into the Body Control Module.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I’m in to this issue also. I have the OEM led headlights with canbus led rear signals. Everything was good until I modded the headlights with the Profile pivot universal sequential switchback drl kit. I would get a very intermittent hyper flash. I mean it would do it some days and not others. It was only on the drivers side though. Now that I’ve gone to the all led aftermarket tails that are scan type on startup I get a more intermittent hyper flash again only on the drivers side. Passenger never does it. I’m not sure why. I was calculating load resistors and it’s recommended to get a wattage 3 to 5 times higher than you need. So I am believing that I am close to the actual draw that the car is looking for and I was hoping that I could get away with one that only took 1 amp or so. Is I how a 50w 10ohm resistor I was thinking it should not heat up soo much. I’m having trouble believing that for something that is only on and off for a second heats up soo much. Am I thinking wrong?
Sponsored