bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
My local Ace Hardware just sent me an ad.
In it they say they can program new fobs.
When I enter both of my Hondas (21 CTR, 18 Accord), they say they can do both.
Haven't tried them yet, but if you're near an Ace Hardware give them a call.
Great look - thank you! I have been searching around locally for ads like that but never landed on Ace.

EDIT: Just called the Ace by me, and they don't do the CTR push-to-start ignition FOB, despite it saying on the site that they do that key, so just make sure to call and check before heading over.

Updates: I did get the $7 blank from eBay a couple days ago and it's identical to my other blade and fits in the FOB perfectly. The FOB should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

If anyone is looking, there's a brand new OEM fob on eBay for $190, (better than $250 from the dealer at least): https://www.ebay.com/itm/1343603994...uid=MlTMyPjxTuy&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There's a handful of aftermarket look-alike key fobs on eBay around $30 if you're feeling adventurous.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Alright, let's close this out for all the 2021 boost blue, mid-life crisis guys that are following and helping 😂

I went to Keyless, (a nationwide chain recommended by ACE Hardware), in Hackensack, NJ, and Abe reprogrammed the used FOB in about 10 minutes for $55 plus tax. Sears Key Shop in Hackensack now specializing in Car Keys — The Keyless Shop - Car Keys, Car Remotes, Car Key Programming. Done. Thrilled. Don't judge a book by it's cover: it's a shed with LED flashing lights next to an abandoned Sears filled with everything you need to make and reprogram any key.

Out of curiosity, I asked him about needing to be connected to "the Honda database," (something I read on here somewhere), and he looked at me a little funny and said no, you just need the original key and the proper reprogramming gear. He did say Audi/VW and some of the other German / luxury brand keys could take up to an hour to reprogram, but even the newest Honda/Acura keys were quick and easy. I also asked him about the cheap replica FOB's on eBay, Amazon, etc. - he said they all work. They're the same as the OEM's: same parts made in the same factory(s) - they just don't have the red "H" logo.

As for the $7 eBay blank key, he / the CNC machine tried to replicate my emergency key... and two more of his blank keys... all unsuccessfully... At which point I actually tried my original key for the first time, and it didn't work (of course). He didn't charge for the attempts or wasted keys, so I got out before he changed his mind and threw him a ten. (Right now I'm only into this spare key for approx. $40(FOB) + $70(prgm) + $7(key) + 90 minutes of my Saturday, so I'm good.)

When I got home, I tried my key again in all different positions, talking to it, hitting it, and then when I was about to give up, it worked. Inconsistently... but it worked. So I kept trying it until it was consistently unlocking the door; (I remembered once hearing a key and tumbler sometimes take a little time to wear-in together). Anyway, I'll probably go back at some point to get another key cut/made, which he quoted me $35 for.

Anyway, thanks for your help, everyone, and hopefully this is of some use to the next person! -bb

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Alright thanks for the info! So without the original fob it’s not possible. I’m assuming you’d need to connect to magic Honda data base in that case, versus Toyotas that anyone can rekey.
Sponsored