Noobster

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So, I lost my key fob..... and even though I still have a working one, I have OCD with not having a second one in hand incase something happens...

Question is: Part # 72147-TGG-A12 is this the part number for a genuine TYPE R RED LOGO key fob? and is this just the remote portion and I'd have to buy the key that gets inserted as well for the "entire set"?

If anyone does have one for sale, DM me too :) before I buy it online.
Sponsored

Last edited:

typertimo

TypeRtimo
First Name
Timo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type R 2020 Toyota Supra
Country flag
There was a guy from Canada selling. A couple brand new ones . Recently within the past 4 days .. look it up in the list !

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Aren't you going to need the dealer to set the code and cut the key to work? Not sure you can get a replacement on the cheap and avoid the dealer.

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Clarity Touring and 2021 Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
So, I lost my key fob..... and even though I still have a working one, I have OCD with not having a second one in hand incase something happens...

Question is, 72147-TGG-A12 even though it gives me a black and white picture, is this the part number for a genuine TYPE R RED LOGO key fob? and is this just the remote portion and I'd have to buy the key that gets inserted as well for the "entire set"?

If anyone does have one for sale, DM me too :) before I buy it online.
No clue how that works- sorry

OP
OP
Noobster

Noobster

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
There was a guy from Canada selling. A couple brand new ones . Recently within the past 4 days .. look it up in the list !
He decided to keep it all, that's where I got the part code xD

Aren't you going to need the dealer to set the code and cut the key to work? Not sure you can get a replacement on the cheap and avoid the dealer.
Yeah, but the dealer charges $240+tax for the key fob and then additional $ to program. The key fob on some genuine Honda sites are like $140, So essentially I could save ~$100ish..

typertimo

TypeRtimo
First Name
Timo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type R 2020 Toyota Supra
Country flag
I have a key from
My old R .
I can sell it to you but it’s already cut . As far as the programming . You can go third party which would charge you probably around 1 Hondo ..
Or dealer who would charge you and arm.
As far as the key you can get a grande new uncut one for around 150 shipped I think . Any online dealer !

CivicTypeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Type R
Country flag
Yes, 72147-TGG-A12 is the key fob with the red H badge. I bought it online and it only came with the remote, so if you need the key that's a separate purchase.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I see the keyless fob from online Honda dealers around $147. Of course you have to have it programmed to the car and will need a key blank cut. Are these things expensive? Kinda. All these items are expensive. If your OCD is driving you nutz I would buy a new one. If like a P-car you will need a special number that comes with the key to tell the car it's ok to respond to it.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
It looks like you would need the following parts from what I can see, and only the dealer or a locksmith can program and cut the key for you. I would honestly reach out to your local dealers and see what the cost would be for the parts and the labor if you haven't already. Sometimes they will even price match the online prices for parts, that way you know it's on them if it's the wrong stuff too.

Fob Assembly- 72147-TGG-A12
Fob Emergency Blank- 35118-T2A-A50

I saw a thread on this and the guy mentioned he paid $69 for the fob, $37 for the metal key + labor, so total came out to $191.

bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
* Just to reboot this conversation since I'm going through this now...

My local Honda Dealer, (DCH in Nanuet, NY), quoted me $250 for the FOB parts and $150 for the FOB programming, so I decided to go another route...

I bought the blank key itself for $7: New Replacement Honda Remote Smart Key Fob Emergency Blank Blade | eBay,
and
I bought a used FOB on eBay for $34: Honda Keyless Entry Remote Fob Kr5v2x 72147-Tgg-A12 4 Buttons 175316 | eBay. These are tougher to come by I think, but it looks identical to my FOB and has the same FCCKr5v2x number, so I figured it's worth the $35 for a 50% probability of success.

There are several local locksmiths in my area, and it seems the going rate for a FOB reprogramming is about $90-100, and the key cutting is $10-20. I'll post up if successful, if not, you can make fun of me.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
This is probably a long shot, but I don't see a down-side other than not working:

Programming a Push-Button Starter
In some cases, you can program a keyless ignition fob for cars with a push-button starter. This is by no means foolproof, but it’s worth trying before you pay a dealer to program it for you.

• With the fob in your hand, get into the driver’s seat, closing the door behind you. Have one hand ready on the fob, and the other on the vehicle’s start button. Similar to the processes above, you’ll need to work quickly, so prepare accordingly.
  • When you’re ready, press your car’s start button 15 times in quick succession, with no more than two seconds between each attempt. Keep your foot off the brake while you’re doing this; remember, you’re not actually trying to start the engine.
  • After the 15th button press, push the lock button on your fob. If the pairing process was successful, the car doors will lock, and the fob will be fully functional. If it was unsuccessful, it’s worth a shot to repeat the process and see if there was an error in the initial attempt. This tactic’s timing can be a bit finicky and difficult to get right on the first attempt.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I could be wrong, but to program the immobilizer, I think you need it connected to the Honda dealer network.

Toyota’s don’t have this and are easily rekeyed and stolen via canbus attacks

bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
My local Ace Hardware just sent me an ad.
In it they say they can program new fobs.
When I enter both of my Hondas (21 CTR, 18 Accord), they say they can do both.
Haven't tried them yet, but if you're near an Ace Hardware give them a call.
Sponsored