Type R is K-Tuned what should I do next?

AKQJ10

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you recommend downsizing to 18s?
Stage 1 on a stock CTR is around 50whp from what there charts say. How accurate that is I can't tell you but what I can say is it brought the car to life. It puts you back in the seat and you have the extra power all through the power band. The power seems more linear in my opinion. Plus the engine sounds a little more aggressive and you get the whoosh and now off notice on a hard pull. I don't have experience with other add-ons but I doubt you will get the same money to power ratio with any other mod. Hope this helps some.
Hi, I'm just wondering if you have datalogged it after you installed the tune. do you have any knocks? which map did you install on your car?
Sponsored

OP
OP
jcp227

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, I'm just wondering if you have datalogged it after you installed the tune. do you have any knocks? which map did you install on your car?
Hi I honestly havent logged it yet
Honestly I have only driven it 3 times since my tune. I haven't data logged yet, however I have been watching the temps on tuner view when I drive. Yesterday was the warmest day I drove it here in PA (70F). The warmest IAT I saw was 112 degrees F and ECT was 187 degrees F. In my opinion these are perfectly normal temps. There are no knocks or any abnormal noise. Everything runs perfect as of now but I also don't drive like an idiot either. I went and threw on Stage 1 so it's the most aggressive preloaded tune. Not sure if this info helps you at all but I was also a little concerned about technically voiding my warranty with only 2000 miles on it. I'm glad I did as it brings the car to life and I think this is actually how the car should have came. I'm not sure how you drive but if you get a tune I would recommend that you just take it easy and watch everything for awhile before you go nuts. Perhaps I will have some additional heat soak once it gets warmer but right now I didn't notice much .

Dans Honda

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2017 FK8 #00000
Country flag
So I put a tune on my Type R last week and absolutely loving it. The rest of the car is still bone stock so I need to plan my next mod. This is not my daily driver and gets out once a week on dry sunny days. I was thinking of upgrading the intercooler next but wanted to get some opinions from others that have more experienced .This is my first car that I am modifying. I am good with tools and am financially stable. Please share your thoughts on what I should do next and provide the reasoning why. Thanks in advance.

Although it is exciting to tune asap and have fun. You dont want to have high temp in the engine bay.
Upgrades

Intercooler
Heat wraps
Exhaust
Wheels and tyres

Air intake if you want.

Trying to make your car cool as possible should be a priority for those maximum gains!

OP
OP
jcp227

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although it is exciting to tune asap and have fun. You dont want to have high temp in the engine bay.
Upgrades

Intercooler
Heat wraps
Exhaust
Wheels and tyres

Air intake if you want.

Trying to make your car cool as possible should be a priority for those maximum gains!
Do you have any opinions on intercoolers? I started looking at the Mitshimoto and PRL coolers and the PRL was slightly smaller and less expensive. I don't drive aggressive often so I don't think I would need the Mishimoto but not positive?
Also to add a turbo blanket am I correct that I need to remove some pipes to get that in? If that's the case I am assuming I might as well do the FP and DP all at the same time. Am I correct with this logic? Thanks.

Dans Honda

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2017 FK8 #00000
Country flag
Do you have any opinions on intercoolers? I started looking at the Mitshimoto and PRL coolers and the PRL was slightly smaller and less expensive. I don't drive aggressive often so I don't think I would need the Mishimoto but not positive?
Also to add a turbo blanket am I correct that I need to remove some pipes to get that in? If that's the case I am assuming I might as well do the FP and DP all at the same time. Am I correct with this logic? Thanks.
Really the PRL is cheaper? Moshimoto intercooler in Australia are like $650ish and PRL are 1400+

Only if you plan on driving hard or tracking the car you should add blankets etc however no point in doing DP if you get a full exhaust.

peter_009

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hasback
Country flag
I haven't tuned yet.

My first "mod" is thermal blankets and wrap on the intake and exhaust and a rear motor mount.

The blankets decrease engine bay temps which should lower intake temps and increase power.

Next on my list is an intercooler, then downpipe and front pipe, which will both be wrapped when I do them.

At that point it will be a toss up between cat-back exhaust or KTuner.

Wheels and tires will be in there somewhere, but I don't really consider that a mod.
I think you should get Ktuner or Hondata before anything else. Plenty of guys on here with full bolt ons doing dynos with no gains because the ECU tones everything back down.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I think you should get Ktuner or Hondata before anything else. Plenty of guys on here with full bolt ons doing dynos with no gains because the ECU tones everything back down.
I'm well informed about what's what. Thanks for your opinion.

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
Do you recommend downsizing to 18s?
Yes 18's are gojng to allow u to lose more weight plus turn sharper and less expensive wheels with more variety to choose from the abundant selection on aftermarket.

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
I chose mishimoto because of the complete system with hosing (hot silicone and cold aluminum side) plus the intercooler volume is immense and the inlet and outlet allow more air entering and exiting . Here is a pic to compare the 3 OEM + PRl+ Mishi. PRL DP and heat blanket the turbo and if u want get the ebay grill for maximum air flow. Heat kills HP . Flow formed wheels like Konig for a set 18's are about 1000$ attractive and alright quality. But if u want to step up and get flow formed cast wheels by Rays go with a set of gram lights which are not too expensive. Now if u go all out look for a good deal around black friday on Rays or Works around 2800-3200$ .

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R is K-Tuned what should I do next? 57750928_2347124265563879_466639718874451

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am actually on same boat as OP here.
I have a sport hatch with PRL fully bolt on, 14" rotor with 6p brake, hondata tune, michele ps4s tires, coilover. the mod on my hatch is all done.
I just bought myself a ctr, thinking to start the build on soon. And This time i want to plan it out first.
I did my sport hatch without thinking the order of the mod and i many things at one time and i couldnt enjoy every single piece that is being addon. As I dont have time to do the car often, when I do it, I will condense a few thing together. Incant truly feel what each piece does to the car.
Another mistake is, when i bought PRL DP FP, I didnt have it ceramic coated, i did DEI wrap it and seal it but i think ceramic coat it first plus DEI wrap it will be keep the heat in the pipe and move down the exhaust much better and keep engine bay cooler.

I think get K-tuner first make sense, i like how hondata awaken my sport hatch. So i will most likely go with ktuner first.
Second i will probably do is DP, FP, will get it ceramic coated +DEI wrap the DP. At the same time will turbo blanket.
Then will watch the temp and next will probably be intercooler. I have very good experience with PRL product with my hatch but kind of want to try different brand with the type R. Mishimoto intercooler looks great!!
Then probably spring and rim&tires, i have michelin ps4s for sport hatch, by far the hondata and the tires are two best upgrade i have done to the sport hatch, these tires grip the road like crazy and the car turn so much faster. If you do tracking occasionally, thats the tires to get.

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Also keep in mind scrub radius when changing wheels. I don't want to deter you from changing wheels but just be aware that changing wheels may affect handling even on lighter, stickier wheels.
Sponsored