First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bar and plate intercooler might benefit you more than a tube and fin. Bar and plate takes longer to soak but don’t expel the heat as quickly as a tube and fin at speed. I’ve had good results with my HKS though. I’ve let it heat soak up to 130F and after cruising on the highway have it drop to 78F ambient temp that day was 60F

I have noticed it takes a moment to cool off... I won't say how I have figured this out.... as per forum "rules"

The other day down here it was 94 degreees...... after 30 min in Publix it took 10 min to cool down to 10 degrees above ambient... This heat probably does not matter which IC one gets.....

Edit... Usually I am only 10 degrees above ambient... however the other day it was 94 degrees out (Felt like 104 according to the heat Index) and it took a good 5-10 min to cool down....... I could tell I had NO power when I got on it north of 4k RPM
Sponsored

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I do not track.... However, I went with PRL because I live in Florida....

After driving a little bit to go to Publix, my car is incredibly heat soaked once I get in my car. After driving for a short while I can do amazing 30-50 mph pulls! (this is completely a joke lol)
What part of FL are you in? I’m in Delray

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
https://www.speednik.com/wp-content...tercooler-kits-2019-10-31_15-30-55_644678.jpg

The Greddy ICs are yuuuuge. Silly tall. Haven't really heard much on it from people running it. I have to imagine that it blocks a lot of air getting to the radiator.

Has anyone heat shielded their charge pipe post intercooler and throttle body? I know it's just the nature of turbo charged engines, but I was curious if it would help keep IAT at the manifold to stop steadily rising after a very long pull through 4th and up. Once I'm in boost for anything longer than a 3rd gear pull, IAT will start to steadily climb. In don't know if the ACT sensor mod would help any, as my IAT lowers on partial throttle as is.

I'll probably have to shell out the cash for a varis hood some day.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
https://www.speednik.com/wp-content...tercooler-kits-2019-10-31_15-30-55_644678.jpg

The Greddy ICs are yuuuuge. Silly tall. Haven't really heard much on it from people running it. I have to imagine that it blocks a lot of air getting to the radiator.

Has anyone heat shielded their charge pipe post intercooler and throttle body? I know it's just the nature of turbo charged engines, but I was curious if it would help keep IAT at the manifold to stop steadily rising after a very long pull through 4th and up. Once I'm in boost for anything longer than a 3rd gear pull, IAT will start to steadily climb. In don't know if the ACT sensor mod would help any, as my IAT lowers on partial throttle as is.

I'll probably have to shell out the cash for a varis hood some day.
They're tall, but also not as wide, so that can help as well. Despite this they do still have a bigger overall surface area still. The other thing that does help is that they are a tube and fin design which allows more air to actually flow through them. At the end of the day the advantages and disadvantages may just wash each other out?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
They're tall, but also not as wide, so that can help as well. Despite this they do still have a bigger overall surface area still. The other thing that does help is that they are a tube and fin design which allows more air to actually flow through them. At the end of the day the advantages and disadvantages may just wash each other out?
I haven’t seen any testing done with the GReddy IC and their choice of size is intriguing. GReddy has always made quality intercooler kits and I doubt this wouldn’t be the same.

The GReddy is thinner than some other options available which is good for getting airflow through the radiator. It’s taller as well and I’m not sure how well the air flows through towards the top of the IC.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I just moved from Miami to Hallendale Beach.

I am in the SoFlo What'sApp chat forRs too. I think you were recently added? lol
how do i get in on this? im in miami

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #18775 / 2002 NB Miata (track car)
Country flag
I messaged them about their racing radiator and they can ship to US. Not sure about import taxes though.
Thank you for posting about the PWR...I had never heard of them but after researching them and who they provide products for, I think they may actually be the absolute best IC option that no one seems to know about (at least here in the US). Their radiator also seems like it is the best one available also. I always prefer a proper motorsports supplier as they have the best R&D.

oasisfan

First Name
florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8
Country flag
I installed the Wagner Intercooler this week, it´s really huge, seems that the boost pressure is a little bit more stable but i have to do software.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
For ease of fitment and core size and quality prl wins hands down. The only other intercooler that can outperform it is mishimoto but it’s considerably larger and requires mishimoto intercooler piping to install. While mishimoto can cool more it makes it more complicated to fit larger radiator. Koyo rad needs to be slightly modified to fit with mishimoto intercooler while prl does not. Nothing a dremel can’t fix. It’s a matter of rounding one bracket and cutting 4 mm by 4 inches off the side support but it’s not enough to effect structural support. Both to clearance mishimoto piping. Ultimate racing is the next in line but only a few cubic inches bigger but due to its tall nature is partially hidden behind bumper and it makes it harder for air to distributed more evenly. 1000hp is a bit inflated number for a 1000 cubic inch core. Prl rated at 550 hp at 672 cubic inches is more accurate. About 80 percent of cubic inch in core size is close to power rating in good core size that puts mishimoto and ultimate racing at about 800hp core. Hks is not included due to poor flow effeciency from tube and fin style and has less internal volume.

Last edited:

K20Chargd

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
For ease of fitment and core size and quality prl wins hands down. The only other intercooler that can outperform it is mishimoto but it’s considerably larger and requires mishimoto intercooler piping to install. While mishimoto can cool more it makes it more complicated to fit larger radiator. Koyo rad needs to be slightly modified to fit with mishimoto intercooler while prl does not. Nothing a dremel can’t fix. It’s a matter of rounding one bracket and cutting 4 mm by 4 inches off the side support but it’s not enough to effect structural support. Both to clearance mishimoto piping. Ultimate racing is the next in line but only a few cubic inches bigger but due to its tall nature is partially hidden behind bumper and it makes it harder for air to distributed more evenly. 1000hp is a bit inflated number for a 1000 cubic inch core. Prl rated at 550 hp at 672 cubic inches is more accurate. About 80 percent of cubic inch in core size is close to power rating in good core size that puts mishimoto and ultimate racing at about 800hp core. Hks is not included due to poor flow effeciency from tube and fin style and has less internal volume.
Have you got any evidence to back the claims that the hks has poor flow and less internal volume or concluding just because it’s a tube and fin?

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I didn't look at weight, but in terms of size (core dimensions), I'm not sure if Perrin's is super big.
  • Perrin: 26.0 x 8.50 x 3.15 -> 696 cu in, 221 sq in
  • PRL: 26.5 x 7.25 x 3.5 -> 672 cu in, 192 sq in
  • HKS: 27.36 x 7.00 x 3.94 -> 754 cu in, 192 sq in
  • Greddy (Small): 23.62 x 9.76 x 2.60 -> 599 cu in, 231 sq in
  • Greddy (Large): 23.62 x 11.18 x 2.60 -> 686 cu in, 264 sq in
  • Mishimoto: 28.0 x 7.6 x 4.7 -> 1000 cu in, 213 sq in
I had to covert the HKS and Greddy core dimensions from mm to in using Google (so the numbers are rounded to 2 decimals).
  • In terms of total volume: Greddy (Small) < PRL < Greddy (Large) < Perrin < HKS < Mishimoto.
  • In terms of frontal area (what would be blocking the radiator): PRL = HKS < Mishimoto < Perrin < Greddy (Small) < Greddy (Large).
  • In terms of thickness: Greddy (Small) = Greddy (Large) < Perrin < PRL < HKS < Mishimoto
I'd probably consider the Perrin middle-of-the-pack in terms of size (both volume and area). I do know that Perrin touts itself as being one of the thinner cores which they claim would lead to more efficient cooling, though they're also beat out by Greddy in that department which causes them to run middle-of-the-pack there too (ironically). The Mishimoto has a fairly small frontal surface area but is super thick which leads to huge volume.

Edit: I tried a couple hits on Google to get the dimensions of the PWR intercooler but didn't have much luck unfortunately.
665x177x87mm

It’s basically 2.5% the size of the PRL except it’s tube and fin. In my book that’s a win.I bought it last year and couldn’t be happier.

Side Note, I have a brand spanking new :cool: and unused Mishimoto Intercooler I bought prior to the C&R/PWR. I’m looking to sell the Mishimoto. Priced to go. :)

I bought the Mishi as I thought I’d just be daily driving and wanted a large Intercooler that would survive the hot daily days.
Sponsored