typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I live by that saying but with our stock Turbo.I don't see it being worth it to swap for a bigger intercooler. I guess if you're going wide open throttle all day it will make a difference but if you just do a few pulls here and there. not worth it at all.
Unfortunately you have an uninformed opinion.

A more efficient intercooler is about keeping the air going into the motor cooler all the time. Our cars are horribly bad with heat soak. Sitting at idle can get your intake temps pretty high pretty fast and that causes the ecu to pull noticeably boost and power even in normal driving.
Sponsored

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Have the PRL myself and say it is worth it.

For reference to compare to another company, Mishimoto has a kit that has cold side piping and a couple hoses. It is $1300
Hot and cold piping/hoses*...and it was on pre sale for two months at $920. The PRL alone is $750 and they sell HKS piping for another $295, so not too much different than Mishimoto and its much bigger than the PRL. Now i do agree at $1300 the Mishimoto is pricey. Luckily i got it on pre sale though and am very eagerly anticipating its arrival...this FL heat has been brutal on performance. In the end you can't go wrong with either one, both quality work. Anything other than those two i would be hesitant to try though.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Intercooler MMINT-CTR-17KSLWRD_1_3

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
Not sure if you have a CTR cause your profile says SI but you do retain the stock piping on a Type R. If you see how hot iats get especially once you are tuned, you wouldn't be saying a little cooler.
It's all an efficiency and consistency thing. My main purpose of getting an intercooler was to have consistent power.
Mishimoto is over a grand w/ piping, full race is over a grand with piping, I'm sure HKS will be around there also. Unless you go off brand, you probably won't find a intercooler w/ piping in the 600 range.
I have a 2017 civic SI with the TSP stage one tune at 24PSI. I'm ok with losing sum power once the car is heatsoaked. Losing 5 to 10 horse power is OK with me as long as I'm not spending 800 to a $1000. I just want a bolt on intercooler that works with the stock piping. No reason to swap it out on the si. Turbo is tiny

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately you have an uninformed opinion.

A more efficient intercooler is about keeping the air going into the motor cooler all the time. Our cars are horribly bad with heat soak. Sitting at idle can get your intake temps pretty high pretty fast and that causes the ecu to pull noticeably boost and power even in normal driving.
I would definitely not say uninformed. been modding cars for over 15 years. Who cares if timing gets pulled during normal driving. it's exactly what you said. Normal driving. Not ripping through the gears.

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hot and cold piping/hoses*...and it was on pre sale for two months at $920. The PRL alone is $750 and they sell HKS piping for another $295, so not too much different than Mishimoto and its much bigger than the PRL. Now i do agree at $1300 the Mishimoto is pricey. Luckily i got it on pre sale though and am very eagerly anticipating its arrival...this FL heat has been brutal on performance. In the end you can't go wrong with either one, both quality work. Anything other than those two i would be hesitant to try though.

MMINT-CTR-17KSLWRD_1_3.png
I've used eBay intercoolers on multiple cars and never had an issue. still runs much cooler than stock.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I have a 2017 civic SI with the TSP stage one tune at 24PSI. I'm ok with losing sum power once the car is heatsoaked. Losing 5 to 10 horse power is OK with me as long as I'm not spending 800 to a $1000. I just want a bolt on intercooler that works with the stock piping. No reason to swap it out on the si. Turbo is tiny
The Si turbo is smaller and I haven't heard of as many people complaining about heat soak as the CTR.

For us, an intercooler is almost a must have at some point.

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Si turbo is smaller and I haven't heard of as many people complaining about heat soak as the CTR.

For us, an intercooler is almost a must have at some point.
I heard both cars having issues with heat soak. I know mine does especially when it's hot out but to me it is not worth it to swap out. I can barely afford the insurance and gas for my car as it is. I've already spent the money on mods that I thought were worth it when I was making twice as much money than my current job. With this new job I'm pretty much on the verge of losing my car so it will be getting no more attention except for maintenance for a long time.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I've used eBay intercoolers on multiple cars and never had an issue. still runs much cooler than stock.
You are in luck, Mishimoto sells one for the Si that is right in your price range @ $560, is bolt on, and more in line with the cost of the Civic Si compared to the CTR. https://www.mishimoto.com/honda-civic-15t-2016-performance-intercooler.html

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Intercooler MMINT-CIV-16SL_2_2

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are aware you stumbled into the CTR forum?

Everything is more expensive here.
Yes I understand that. Either way. In a few years time more companies will be releasing cheaper budget parts for our cars. So I'll be keeping my eye out til then. Cheap doesn't always mean junk. We just need more companies making parts to drive down costs.

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey man, more power to you if you are satisfied with an ebay core. It is your money and your car, you do what you wanna do.
I had a buddy that had the same exact mods and he only made 3 more horsepower than my car and his intake temps were about 6ďľź lower than my eBay intercooler. Just saying. Spending top dollar isn't always the best. Trust me. I only used the best fluids and fuel when maintaining my cars but have learned that off brand isnt always bad.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I had a buddy that had the same exact mods and he only made 3 more horsepower than my car and his intake temps were about 6ďľź lower than my eBay intercooler. Just saying. Spending top dollar isn't always the best. Trust me. I only used the best fluids and fuel when maintaining my cars but have learned that off brand isnt always bad.
I have no doubt you can get a working unit.
However these midnight runs have less quality control, and lesser quality materials than you’d normally see. So your paying for that roulette chance you’d get a good unit. Maybe it’s 80% chance you’d get a good one!! But ISO and other manufacturing standards would call for something like .01% in variation or quality.

I’m happy you found a good unit, really am.

When I last bought eBay parts, I wasn’t so lucky.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
So we’ve now established you don’t have a type R. You lose much more than 5-10 hp on these cars, especially when you are driving in any kind of stop and go traffic. And once the car is heat soaked, it takes a lot of time to cool / remove that heat. The ecu on the R is different from the SI so the timing and fueling adjustments are also different so it’s not comparable
Sponsored