BedBoyy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Country flag
Hey everyone. Can you tell me how did type R does in this winter?

I live in Winnipeg, it's really cold and have a lot of snow in winter, it is snowing even today. I live with my 370z for 2 years. I drove it almost everyday this winter and...I need to drive it very carefully. I am looking for a new car and I get 2 options now, Subaru STI and Civic Type R. I used to own a 2017 WRX, I miss the feeling of WRX' steering wheel, it was heavy and gave me a lot of confidence, how about the Type R?

Waiting for response
Sponsored

Last edited:

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I live in Cleveland, OH and need to get to work no matter the weather. I have had no issues in several inches of snow or slush. Drop into comfort mode to reduce torque. I run michelin alpins and have no issues on 235/40/R18. It handles as well or better than my previous car with all wheel drive and all season tires. The only caveat I would say the CTR is lower than 6 inches above the ground. If you will be going through deep or drifting snow regularly, it is likely to have issues with getting hung up. Plowing is good in my area so I don't have this issue.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I also live and work in the Cleveland area and this was my 1st winter with the CTR. I ran 19's with all season Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and it got the job done. I drove cautiously and if it was really bad out I just waited til the trucks cleared the road. On a side note my girlfriends WRX ripped through everything with the same tires, no fear LOL.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Since you're from Winterpeg, I'd honestly probably recommend the STI if that's what you're cross-shopping with.

I've got many friends who live in the 204, and from what I hear your street conditions are awful, especially in the winter lol. I haven't wintered my CTR yet but am planning on next winter, but the CTR is very capable like EdG said with the appropriate wheels and tires.

Apart from winter, if you have no plans from switching out the OEM wheels you'd have to play minesweeper with the potholes on your daily drive, but you're the one who can really know if this is an issue or not to and from work.

OP
OP

BedBoyy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Country flag
I live in Cleveland, OH and need to get to work no matter the weather. I have had no issues in several inches of snow or slush. Drop into comfort mode to reduce torque. I run michelin alpins and have no issues on 235/40/R18. It handles as well or better than my previous car with all wheel drive and all season tires. The only caveat I would say the CTR is lower than 6 inches above the ground. If you will be going through deep or drifting snow regularly, it is likely to have issues with getting hung up. Plowing is good in my area so I don't have this issue.
Thanks dude! Enjoy your CTR, you can drive it all year, that is cool.

OP
OP

BedBoyy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Country flag
Since you're from Winterpeg, I'd honestly probably recommend the STI if that's what you're cross-shopping with.

I've got many friends who live in the 204, and from what I hear your street conditions are awful, especially in the winter lol. I haven't wintered my CTR yet but am planning on next winter, but the CTR is very capable like EdG said with the appropriate wheels and tires.

Apart from winter, if you have no plans from switching out the OEM wheels you'd have to play minesweeper with the potholes on your daily drive, but you're the one who can really know if this is an issue or not to and from work.
yea, the road is not good and I just got a flat tire 2weeks ago and I spent over 500$ to deal with it. I know STI is a beast in winter and I do love it, but CTR is a better. I've never try a FWD car so I really want to buy it.
It has less weight, better engine and rev-match control, I really need it after drove 2 years 370z lol.

I would get a set of 18' wheels and winter tires in fall term if I get a CTR.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BedBoyy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Country flag
I also live and work in the Cleveland area and this was my 1st winter with the CTR. I ran 19's with all season Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and it got the job done. I drove cautiously and if it was really bad out I just waited til the trucks cleared the road. On a side note my girlfriends WRX ripped through everything with the same tires, no fear LOL.
I think I would get a CTR. Just remember and mention myself how carefully I was when I drove the 370z in winter!

Last edited:

bulbasaura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I'm still waiting on mine and planning to winter drive it as well. I live in Calgary and did perfectly fine with a regular civic. I'm sure the LSD would help alot with sticky situations as well!

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I’m in the Boston area and we really didn’t get much snow at all this year. Only about 3-4 inches a couple months ago.

I’m not familiar with Winnipeg so you’ll have to ask yourself how much snow do you get and how well are the roads plowed in your travels. Boston gets plowed pretty well but this car is low. I have snow tires on and if you keep the RPM below 2500rpm you should have any issues.

If you have a lot of snow then you’ll have to decide if the Subie is worth those days in the snow vs the days without the snow. Drive both cars and see what you like between the two then factor in the snow situation. I certainly wouldn’t say you have to have awd around Boston. Fwd with snow tires does fine.

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I Live in the Cleveland area too and am curious to what type of wheels you have for your Type R. I'm getting my Tuesday and I am kinda nervous reading about all the post of bent wheels, and want to have a plan in place in the coming months for new wheels and tires. I plan to drive the Type R all year round.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I Live in the Cleveland area too and am curious to what type of wheels you have for your Type R. I'm getting my Tuesday and I am kinda nervous reading about all the post of bent wheels, and want to have a plan in place in the coming months for new wheels and tires. I plan to drive the Type R all year round.
19's for winter
245 35 19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
OZ Ultraleggera HLT

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R in winter 20191022_164937

OP
OP

BedBoyy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Country flag
I'm still waiting on mine and planning to winter drive it as well. I live in Calgary and did perfectly fine with a regular civic. I'm sure the LSD would help alot with sticky situations as well!
“I live in Calgary and did perfectly fine with a regular civic.” Your word may change my plan, I just went back to home and the outside is snowing. I told myself go for a STI LOL. Thanks bro

OP
OP

BedBoyy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Country flag
I’m in the Boston area and we really didn’t get much snow at all this year. Only about 3-4 inches a couple months ago.

I’m not familiar with Winnipeg so you’ll have to ask yourself how much snow do you get and how well are the roads plowed in your travels. Boston gets plowed pretty well but this car is low. I have snow tires on and if you keep the RPM below 2500rpm you should have any issues.

If you have a lot of snow then you’ll have to decide if the Subie is worth those days in the snow vs the days without the snow. Drive both cars and see what you like between the two then factor in the snow situation. I certainly wouldn’t say you have to have awd around Boston. Fwd with snow tires does fine.
Yea it's difficult to make the decision. I think I need to drive a fwd with snow tire in the snow situation and then everything will be clear.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm running AS3+ year-round in Chicagoland. We do get snow every year and quite a bit of it. For the most part, the streets are cleared within 24 hours and on a cleared street I have no issues. With a few inches of snow, I would drive with caution since I don't have true winter tires. That being said, you should be perfectly fine with winter tires.

bulbasaura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
“I live in Calgary and did perfectly fine with a regular civic.” Your word may change my plan, I just went back to home and the outside is snowing. I told myself go for a STI LOL. Thanks bro
Haha it was -20 and really snowy yesterday here. I'm sure you'll get around better with a STi in snowy situations but FWD is more than fine for the snowy days to get around.
Sponsored