Type R hood scoop

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The scoop on the FK8 is actually purely for downforce. If you look at the underside of the hood, you’ll see the air flows directly into a channel under the hood that directs the air across to the sides and out the side vents.
Lol
Sponsored

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Yeah, I'm don't think removing the scoop completely is a good idea. Add some louvers, sure that would help the heat escape.

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have
we did track testing with scoop open and blocked off and saw zero change in underhood or coolant temps in sessions back to back. Also I was told by a honda engineer that during the design faze the scoop was showing to be effective to reduce temps, but in practical track use it did not and that going to a scoopless hood was considered but the manufacturing dies had already been made for the hood at that time. I made this louvered replacement for a simple test, minimal material was removed from under the scoop and the stock scoop could be reinstalled easily. whereas other louvers are a more permanent install and much more difficult to install correctly. I will be designing and laser cutting other louver panels specific for the CTR hood but the scoop replacement panel works very well

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Wish we had some wind tunnel testing data to substantiate that information.

Anyone have access to wind tunnel testing? lol

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wish we had some wind tunnel testing data to substantiate that information.

Anyone have access to wind tunnel testing? lol
I will be doing a full 3d laser scan of the car to do CFD aero

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
i find it interesting the grill mesh is not honeycomb on the R while the SI is. For the aftermarket front grill, maybe the supplier should make the grill to match the Type R?

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I have

we did track testing with scoop open and blocked off and saw zero change in underhood or coolant temps in sessions back to back. Also I was told by a honda engineer that during the design faze the scoop was showing to be effective to reduce temps, but in practical track use it did not and that going to a scoopless hood was considered but the manufacturing dies had already been made for the hood at that time. I made this louvered replacement for a simple test, minimal material was removed from under the scoop and the stock scoop could be reinstalled easily. whereas other louvers are a more permanent install and much more difficult to install correctly. I will be designing and laser cutting other louver panels specific for the CTR hood but the scoop replacement panel works very well
I wouldn't mind a little taller scoop for some more visual flair ala WRX STi. The Type-R has quite a lot going on visually already so it couldn't hurt

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
seconded!
someone else will have to handle that, i am more worried about functional as removing heat from the engine bay rather than just scooping up more useless air

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
I wouldn't mind a little taller scoop for some more visual flair ala WRX STi. The Type-R has quite a lot going on visually already so it couldn't hurt
Gross

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
It doesn't have to be crazy, but I would rather it didn't look like an afterthought punched into the hood.

2016-subaru-wrx-sti-series-hyperblue-0012-640x427-c.jpg
Couldn’t disagree with you more. How does it look like an afterthought? The width of the Subaru one is for a reason, their is a GD intercooler behind it.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Couldn’t disagree with you more. How does it look like an afterthought? The width of the Subaru one is for a reason, their is a GD intercooler behind it.
...because it was an afterthought. It showed up way late in testing and clearly wasn't part of the original plan. It's probably my least favorite design element besides the wing.

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He was referring to the CTR scoop. Honda wanted to go back to a non scooped hood after real world testing but already had manufacturing dies made for the hood, amd since the standard civic hoods wouldnt work, they kept the scoop,to save some money
Sponsored