SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I love the Type R, truly. I came from an STI and I wanted something with better fuel economy, cheaper aftermarket/replacement parts, and better reliability. The STI was fun but I love being the underdog. Even while owning an STI I considered trading for an older SI for that reason. I like surprising cars with being able to keep up to them. Perhaps it's my mechanical background that sways me to want to build up a lesser car to compete with higher end cars. Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you aren't into modifying cars then the Type-R is a no brainer.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I think the decision is made. Found this too: https://tinyurl.com/yyksbr4a

I'm going to buy some tires. While I don't drive like Mario (that's an old person term), my wife would kill me with ongoing expenses. Who knows, maybe she'll fall in love with a metallic gray one if we see one in the wild.........

Again, thanks for all the inputs. Truly appreciated.
You would be spending at least $1200 a year on tires. So unless it goes the way of the S2000 or Integra Type R, in 5 years you should be able to pick one up for about half MSRP minus the stupid dealership mark-ups. Trust me, a lot of the younger crowd buy it, realize the expense of owning one, and sale. Maybe in 5 years you and I will pick a used one up, and we won't have to face the wrath of our Mrs!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
tires and brake cost is so exaggerated.
That's only true if you want to keep running factory tires and pads. if you downsize to 18s and put a regular pad compound on there, it's no different than any other car.
You may not be able to utilize the car to the best of its abilities but how many of us are doing that on a daily basis.

The big difference in running cost compared to the SI is the fuel.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
tires and brake cost is so exaggerated.
That's only true if you want to keep running factory tires and pads. if you downsize to 18s and put a regular pad compound on there, it's no different than any other car.
You may not be able to utilize the car to the best of its abilities but how many of us are doing that on a daily basis.

The big difference in running cost compared to the SI is the fuel.
If you’re content with a bit lesser performance you can throw a pair of UHP A/S on with better treadwear and run on those as a daily. Although the buy in for those tires is a PITA it’s not a recurring expense unless you blow through tires like candybars. You’ll lose performance but not enough that would cause any noticeable things when driving spiritedly (so like 7 to 8 tenths).

The fuel cost though is definitely something to be mindful of.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1200 a year on tires is nonsense. Why on Earth would anyone buy the stock tire that only lasts 10k miles again? Buy Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, they last 30k miles and have better grip than the Sport Contact 6.
Michelin Pilot Sports are $324 a tire for the Type R ($1296, not including tax, balancing and installation). They only have a 30K warranty but would probably wear out in 15 to 20K. Michelin are great tires, I have them on my Lexus, but they don't last 30K, and I would bet on a Type R they would not last 30K. But yes, better than the stock that only last 10K

Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL) MichelinSport TypeR.JPG

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If you’re content with a bit lesser performance you can throw a pair of UHP A/S on with better treadwear and run on those as a daily. Although the buy in for those tires is a PITA it’s not a recurring expense unless you blow through tires like candybars. You’ll lose performance but not enough that would cause any noticeable things when driving spiritedly (so like 7 to 8 tenths).

The fuel cost though is definitely something to be mindful of.
exactly. So many people talking like tires and brake pads running cost is huge. Like you said, buy some UHP all seasons and get 30k miles out of it.
If you plan on DDing the car, it'd be wise to step down to 18s anyways, further reducing the cost of tires (with the initial expense of buying 18s). When factory brake pads wear out, replace them with some Hawk HPS and get alot more mileage out of them than stock. After the initial cost, the "yearly" running cost is not going to be much different than a SI.

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Man, you're really getting into some primitive instincts that we have to compete and go fast. I'm over 50 myself, and how I fondly looked back at an era where almost no one had cell phones. Man, talk about being able to cause a ruckus! We were a group that pioneered the early Honda engine swaps in our area... discovered how the 89 Integra motor was literally plug and play into an 87 CRX/Civic. (oooh, a whopping 115 HP from 95) Whole days were spent for the driving... long trips out to winery's, ect.. the point being the race on the way out there. Looking back, we were crazy... literally a 100 miles over 100MPH the whole way.. a whole pack of us.

But these were cars that barely had 120HP and we thought they were fast at the time, and they were. (had a civic down to 1590lbs). But today? Holy crap, the average car has what? 250HP? The adrenaline filter one gets when confronted with a race opportunity is pretty dangerous. I'll admit to pushing over my own limits probably a thousand times. (making that outside pass on a long sweeper in the rain at 120MPH? Damn right! What a rush, eh? Talk about a puckering experience)

It just seems the car performance is outpacing humans. Now with cars like the new Tesla, 0-60 in 2 secs, 1/4 in 8.8 and 250+MPH top speed? Not being as car limited as much anymore seems pretty scary. Sometimes I wonder if I would have had the self control in the heat of the moment to still be alive at my age if I was just growing up today.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
exactly. So many people talking like tires and brake pads running cost is huge. Like you said, buy some UHP all seasons and get 30k miles out of it.
If you plan on DDing the car, it'd be wise to step down to 18s anyways, further reducing the cost of tires (with the initial expense of buying 18s). When factory brake pads wear out, replace them with some Hawk HPS and get alot more mileage out of them than stock. After the initial cost, the "yearly" running cost is not going to be much different than a SI.
It's that monthly payment that would cause some anxiety. After dealer markup's, tax and license you are probably hitting $40K plus out the door. I am thinking about picking up a used one in a few years, hopefully it won't go the way of the S2000 and hold it's price! Let someone else pay the fricken dealer markup and depreciate it for me

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It's that monthly payment that would cause some anxiety. After dealer markup's, tax and license you are probably hitting $40K plus out the door. I am thinking about picking up a used one in a few years, hopefully it won't go the way of the S2000 and hold it's price! Let someone else pay the fricken dealer markup and depreciate it for me
ah well if monthly was the case then yeah, it's going to be higher unless you put a large enough down payment.

but the running cost isn't too different aside from fuel. a 30% reduction in mpg with the same sized fuel tank is what's going to hurt the most. The trips to the gas station does get annoying at times.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ah well if monthly was the case then yeah, it's going to be higher unless you put a large enough down payment.

but the running cost isn't too different aside from fuel. a 30% reduction in mpg with the same sized fuel tank is what's going to hurt the most. The trips to the gas station does get annoying at times.
Yeah, I know about fuel costs. I have an IS 350 with a 3.5L gas thirsty V6 averaging 19.5 mpg. I'm spending $40 more a month than when I was driving an Si

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would be spending at least $1200 a year on tires. So unless it goes the way of the S2000 or Integra Type R, in 5 years you should be able to pick one up for about half MSRP minus the stupid dealership mark-ups. Trust me, a lot of the younger crowd buy it, realize the expense of owning one, and sale. Maybe in 5 years you and I will pick a used one up, and we won't have to face the wrath of our Mrs!
Facebook marketplace is riddled with low mileage used type Rs out here.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Facebook marketplace is riddled with low mileage used type Rs out here.
They would have to be between $15 to $18k before I pick one up. That probably won't happen until they hit after the 5 year mark

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Yeah, I never heard anyone being concerned about cost of brake pads. What is a set? 50 bucks for nice ceramic ones? And changing them is as easy as an oil change.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I never heard anyone being concerned about cost of brake pads. What is a set? 50 bucks for nice ceramic ones? And changing them is as easy as an oil change.
Depending on brand, they average $140 per set. Regular brake pads for a Toyota Camry costs more than $50. Then you would need to turn the rotors, not everyone has access to a machine to do that. The cost of changing brakes/machining the rotors for an IS 350 is $400 plus per set at the dealer and $160 independent mechanic, I would say double that for a Type R
Sponsored

Last edited: