First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Random thoughts to keep me grounded.

2018 SI, KTuner, Stage 1, no other mods. Came home last night on up / down roads and pushed it to have some fun. I was caught from behind by something sport sedan-ish on a part of the road that had me focusing on driving, not the type of car. He passed and took off. I could have stayed with him pretty sure but he clearly knew the road (I didn't). And he probably had better tires (original here, and they suck). So, I let him go. On a straight stretch I started to gain on him because I was doing so, or he let off. I hit triple digits and again backed off approaching a lazy turn. I've been thinking about trading for a Type-R and this restarted those thoughts.

But...........

I don't know if his car / knowledge / courage would have kicked my butt anyhow. I don't know if spending another $10k (initial cost) would have been worth it.

If I had taken him, or kept on his bumper, or kept him from passing..... so what? This lasted 5 minutes and I'll never see him again. Nor would I win any prizes.

I'm 60. I'm a great driver (not boasting, I just drive well and have had some real training). But, I have no desire to kill myself or someone else. So would the Type-R help or hurt this desire?

Just knowing and driving the Type-R is a high. I had a Vette years ago with engine mods and I ate Mustangs, Camaro's and Chargers for lunch or a light snack. I knew. They knew. Sort of didn't have to show anyone. Do I need that now? Probably not.

So there is my confession. I'll be safe for a few more days, the the Type-R will creep in to my thoughts again. Damn.
Sponsored

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Interesting! If money is no issue I would say go for the Type-R. A far superior car the the Si. But.... There's something about the Si being the underdog that I love. It's even an underdog to most other 4 bangers and it punches well above its weight class. There's fun in that which you won't find in higher end cars.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have a type r and I say stick with the Si. Some good performance tires and suspension tweaks would really help close the gap. You still have more power potential to tap as well. My CTR has the hondata 93oct tune and PRL intake. My girlfriends stock WRX is more fun to drive. The power band in her car is more useable. My tuned CTR in 1st and 2and gear are underwhelming. 3rd gear is a missile. The problem is you're almost in triple digits, jail. I think you could have a lot more fun just tweaking your Si a bit more. If money is no issue then what the heck, go for a CTR.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve had the same thoughts but not necessarily a type R. I’m 42 and have been driving integras and Si’s since the early 90’s. Several wrecks from going around curves too fast ( in my younger days) having mostly always had fwd, and mostly Honda’s, I’d say I’m pretty damn good behind the wheel of this car. Of late I’ve over taken several cars far more expensive and faster on my favorite roads. But each time I’ve done that I’m thinking I’m too old for this stuff and no doubt my reflexes are not what they used to be. I’m 100% sure in anything faster, I’d be out right dangerous and meet another tree. That’s one of the best things about the Si, you can drive race car and stay reasonably safe. How often can you really fully enjoy those high power cars on the street?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If I had taken him, or kept on his bumper, or kept him from passing..... so what? This lasted 5 minutes and I'll never see him again. Nor would I win any prizes.
You're old enough to know there's always something faster

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
I personally don't mind someone wanting to pass or out drive me. I generally cruise around 80mph to and from work and have had all sorta of cars pass me from time to time. From regular cars with young drivers who are probably thinking "hey I just smoked an R", to modified pogo sticks that sound like they inhaled too many Boston baked beans. No biggie to me :)

I test drove an Si, nice car, quick with good handling but the R is a different animal.

To me it's more the fun of driving a car that handles the way an R does. The turns, the get up and go, did I mention the turns?

If you have the means, indulge!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I'm 51, done lots of stupid stuff when I was young. I travel a lot to our Texas office and rent all types of fast cars on my company's dime (benefits of being a Director). When I was in Dubai I had a chance to drive some exotics. At this point I have no desire to race anyone or be the fastest on the road. I just want to be comfortable.

That being said, next weekend I will be in Southern Cal and if time permitting I will be meeting up with @TypeSiR who has graciously invited me to check out his CTR. I will let you know what I think about it if we are able to meet up. I am excited!

Last edited:
OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This thread is a classic example of a great forum. Thoughts heading in both directions, great info, experiences, points of view. Such a great read and valid points. Thanks to each of you for responding. NONE of you made a decision any easier for me....... curses!

:):)

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some retired guy had a sticker on his car that said "I'm retired, go around me".
Ha, problem is, I'm 60 for another 9 days. And, am already "retired", but not ready to give up on fun yet! I did just check out pricing on PS4's.......... I still cannot explain or forgive the choice of tires on this car. Just dumb - in my opinion of course.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some retired guy had a sticker on his car that said "I'm retired, go around me".
I don't think I am ever going to retire. They are going to find me dead at my desk. How many times can you travel the world (although it is a big world). I can't even work from home, I have to be in the office. Nope, I work till I drop

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha, problem is, I'm 60 for another 9 days. And, am already "retired", but not ready to give up on fun yet! I did just check out pricing on PS4's.......... I still cannot explain or forgive the choice of tires on this car. Just dumb - in my opinion of course.
Start with Tires first sir, it's the single best modification that you can do to the car for your enjoyment and for you to truly bring out the soul of the Si. I'm on Continental ECS, a 9/10th comparable tire to the PS4S without the price tag. Excellent Dry and Wet grip, and rides pretty nice for daily use :)

For anyone following my build thread, you can see I'm pretty deep into my Si. Power adders came second to having a great tire that can accept all that power, and grip on any occasion. Third on my list are the shifter upgrades from Acuity that have took the slop out, and made it very engaging to drive at low speeds even.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Start with Tires first sir, it's the single best modification that you can do to the car for your enjoyment and for you to truly bring out the soul of the Si. I'm on Continental ECS, a 9/10th comparable tire to the PS4S without the price tag. Excellent Dry and Wet grip, and rides pretty nice for daily use :)

For anyone following my build thread, you can see I'm pretty deep into my Si. Power adders came second to having a great tire that can accept all that power, and grip on any occasion. Third on my list are the shifter upgrades from Acuity that have took the slop out, and made it very engaging to drive at low speeds even.
We are all hoping and praying your Si does not go the way of @kshawn and @JDMpo0kie ! This is probably the best advice I have heard because we don't want to see that beautiful build of yours go Kaboom! It's best to concentrate on the overall handling and road grip rather than power, which can get one in a lot of trouble!

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey OP,

I'd side on getting the Type R, but not for the reasons most people talk about. Of course, we all know it has more power, superior handling, good daily/track car, etc... But, I think a lot of people are forgetting a huge factor about the Type R.
It might not continue to be available in the states.

My father had a shot at getting the 2000 Integra Type R when it was released in the states, but due to its markup being so high(sounds familiar lol) he ultimately decided to get a Lexus IS 300. Granted he did love that car very much and i had a blast learning stick on it and drifting the car in parking lots when my family was out of town (shame on me lol). But he would ALWAYS tell me how he regretted not purchasing the ITR as its such an iconic vehicle and a legend in Honda history. He was not about to miss his shot again and finally pulled the trigger on one 2 weeks ago. If you are a true car enthusiast (which im sure you are, given you're on the forums lol) for the sole reason that you'd get to have a rare piece of Honda history that isnt always available to us in the states. You HAVE to do it if you can:thumbsup:
Sponsored