Type R FK8 metal in oil

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Ok Honda just called me and said they are going to replace the entire engine and the turbo! Thank god they are covering this. I was going to be devastated if they said they are not going to fix it. I have learned a lot about my first car purchase from a dealer and how scummy Walser dealerships are in MN. I just can’t believe dealerships can sell a car that is almost not drivable and then tell me that they can’t take it back after driving it 100 miles. I hope no one has to go through what I just went through. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll be enjoying my type r very soon!
Congratulations! Get that statement in writing and make sure it's a new engine and not a refurb. After you get settled with your new engine, write a review about your experience on Google or Yelp or other review sites to inform other customers. Only those businesses who truly care to improve their customer service usually respond back and to those who don't, well, truth be known- let them reap what they sow. Glad to see you start at 0 miles again. Just like buying a new car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I am very happy for you brother. Rest easy, and know you a fresh K20 coming to you soon.

Don't forget about the break in!

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'd still speak with a lawyer about the diminished value you'll deal with if you end up selling the car at some point.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just for giggles try Googling your VIN or R # - You might get a Carfax hit or more!

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Wouldn't he go up in value because the engine is brand new

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Wouldn't he go up in value because the engine is brand new
Nope. Replacing an engine in such a new vehicle actually diminishes value in the eyes of the resale part of the industry.

If selling private party to a forum member on here for instance and he has all paperwork, I’d argue it would add value for sure.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
@Sweber104, which Walser dealership in Minnesota? I used to live in that shithole state, and can tell you Walser is a sleazy dealership group in general.

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Nope. Replacing an engine in such a new vehicle actually diminishes value in the eyes of the resale part of the industry.

If selling private party to a forum member on here for instance and he has all paperwork, I’d argue it would add value for sure.
I will have all records, paperwork, and even pictures of the new engine being put in so no one can argue with me. On the other hand I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years so none the less I will have the peace of mind what the engine has been through.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Walser Toyota in Bloomington
That alone says a lot and it doesn't surprise me at all.

It's not a house-brand car (Toyota) so I'm pretty sure they only checked the basic stuff. I thought you bought from a Honda dealership all along.

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
That alone says a lot and it doesn't surprise me at all.

It's not a house-brand car (Toyota) so I'm pretty sure they only checked the basic stuff. I thought you bought from a Honda dealership all along.
Ya screw them man, I was talking to the General Manager for 5 days and he wanted nothing to do with me. I told him all I wanted was for him to take the car back and he said no, because he had too much time invested in the car. Whatever that means, I then told him that’s BS and a cop out. I then told him I hope he feels good about screwing over a 27 year old buying his dream car and that he would feel the same way if he was in my shoes. That guy just literally pushed me to my limits.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya screw them man, I was talking to the General Manager for 5 days and he wanted nothing to do with me. I told him all I wanted was for him to take the car back and he said no, because he had too much time invested in the car. Whatever that means, I then told him that’s BS and a cop out. I then told him I hope he feels good about screwing over a 27 year old buying his dream car and that he would feel the same way if he was in my shoes. That guy just literally pushed me to my limits.
Well, I'm glad the worst is behind you already and you won't have to deal with those fools going forward. Glad to have you join the CIVICX family and hope you can enjoy your car more once you get a new engine installed.

The CIVICX members here are very helpful in many many ways, they give great advice and more importantly they all care and respect each other. Even though we're scattered throughout the U.S., this is the place where we can all come together inspite of this crazy pandemic. Hopefully one day, after all this craziness is over, we can find some time to safely do maybe a meet-up where social-distancing will be a thing of the past. People need to socialize- I think it makes for great collaboration. I think in my mind that would be a great experience.

We're all car enthusiasts here and we love our Type R's. I've really enjoyed being a part of discussions here and many of my questions have been met with nothing but kind and intelligent answers ever since I've owned and even before I took ownership of my car. There are no trollers. You won't find those immature folks that frequent those FK8-related FB pages. If so, then I'm sure their day-pass will quickly get revoked before the sun sets on that same day.

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Well, I'm glad the worst is behind you already and you won't have to deal with those fools going forward. Glad to have you join the CIVICX family and hope you can enjoy your car more once you get a new engine installed.

The CIVICX members here are very helpful in many many ways, they give great advice and more importantly they all care and respect each other. Even though we're scattered throughout the U.S., this is the place where we can all come together inspite of this crazy pandemic. Hopefully one day, after all this craziness is over, we can find some time to safely do maybe a meet-up where social-distancing will be a thing of the past. People need to socialize- I think it makes for great collaboration. I think in my mind that would be a great experience.

We're all car enthusiasts here and we love our Type R's. I've really enjoyed being a part of discussions here and many of my questions have been met with nothing but kind and intelligent answers ever since I've owned and even before I took ownership of my car. There are no trollers. You won't find those immature folks that frequent those FK8-related FB pages. If so, then I'm sure their day-pass will quickly get revoked before the sun sets on that same day.
Thank you for all the positivity. I hope this car will be more than just an object. I hope it connects me to knew people, new adventures and amazing experiences! Here’s to the future! By the way, do you know how I can connect to type R owners in the Chicago area? Website, FB page, anything?
Sponsored