Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
(Updated) This is my third FK8 I have looked at and drove. This car I did end up purchasing because it was very clean and 100% stock. It is a 2018 with 25,000 miles on it. I have been looking at buying a Type R for about a year now but finally got serious and bought my dream car. I took it to a Honda dealer near me and have known two of the service managers for about 4 years. They found a small noise and looked into it further and ended up finding metal in the oil. I havnt been able to sleep for about 4 days now because of what has happened. I’m a no bs kinda guy so honest answers only. Does anyone have any more info or advice on what to do next. I’m thinking of having the engine torn down and hope Honda’s warranty covers it. I have only drivin it 100 miles since buying it. All info is welcome, thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Confused - Is the dealer fixing and warranting the car or are you asking if they will?
Assuming a new motor is installed and a full warranty or Honda Certified Pre-owned warranty is provided, the car should be good to go - IF the price is right.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Confused - Is the dealer fixing and warranting the car or are you asking if they will?
Assuming a new motor is installed and a fully warranty or Honda Certified Pre-owned warranty is provided, the car should be good to go - IF the price is right.
Yes I am wondering what my chances are if Honda fixing it. The dealership said only the Honda rep can determine if the warranty will fix the problem. However the Honda dealership told me that in order to find the problem the engine will need a tear down. If the warranty doesn’t cover the problem then I’m out 3800 bucks for the tear down.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm assuming you recently bought the car but not sure what this "dealer Inspection" was all about. If it's Honda CPO I'd take it to another dealer. CPO is a Honda warranty not dealer. Unless you modified the motor or severely abused it (I'm not sure how other than running out of oil, or using WD-40 instead, there's a way to cause metal in the oil.) there's no reason for you to be "asked" to pay for this type of troubleshooting.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a used 2018 Type R and during an inspection the Honda dealer found enough metal in the oil to see if the the warranty kicks in and fixes the problem. Does anyone have any more info for me? I waited a year to buy one then this happens. All info is welcome.
Walk away.
Nothing good can come from metal in the oil. Only a full engine replacement would satisfy me on a 2 year old vehicle.

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
I agree to walk away if you haven't completed the purchase. If so I hope there are some maint records floating around somewhere so Honda will get involved. Without proof of maint on a claim like that you are going to get the finger I bet.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
(Updated) This is my third FK8 I have looked at and drove. This car I did end up purchasing because it was very clean and 100% stock. It is a 2018 with 25,000 miles on it. I have been looking at buying a Type R for about a year now but finally got serious and bought my dream car. I took it to a Honda dealer near me and have known two of the service managers for about 4 years. They found a small noise and looked into it further and ended up finding metal in the oil. I havnt been able to sleep for about 4 days now because of what has happened. I’m a no bs kinda guy so honest answers only. Does anyone have any more info or advice on what to do next. I’m thinking of having the engine torn down and hope Honda’s warranty covers it. I have only drivin it 100 miles since buying it. All info is welcome, thanks everyone.

Hey bud I know you want serious answers only and this is a super tough subject, but there's still some questions to ask.

It's a 2018 - does it still have warranty left?

Who did you buy from? Private party?

Did you have a PRE-purchase inspection done?

What noise was it making?

Get a sample of the oil and send it to blackstone labs ASAP.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
This tells me the previous owner of the car didn't bother to regularly change the oil. The poor pistons and rods are chipping and wearing down inside your oil. Another culprit could've been bad tuning all sorts of engine knocking going on while the previous owner drove the car. People have to be sensible with turbo run cars...smh Sorry you are going through this. Is it too late to get a refund?

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
This tells me the previous owner of the car didn't bother to regularly change the oil. The poor pistons and rods are chipping and wearing down inside your oil. Another culprit could've been bad tuning all sorts of engine knocking going on while the previous owner drove the car. People have to be sensible with turbo run cars...smh Sorry you are going through this. Is it too late to get a refund?
It’s a long story but I tried for 5 days talking to the GM of the dealership who I bought it from and he said it’s not his problem, even though I drove it 100 mikes since buying it and having a shop look at it.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
There has to be a LAW regarding this....No 30 day return or warranty? that's strange usually car dealerships allow you some leeway, they take care of any issues regarding a used car.

BostonCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
If the car is 100% stock and within warranty... it must be covered by Honda unless they can prove negligence on your part or the former owners part. I would be interested in the service records Honda has on the vehicle. As a former dealership mechanic I saw a lot of sleazy ways the dealership would get out of performing warranty work. That whole industry is sleazy, I'm thankful to not be a part of it anymore. Good luck to the OP, I hope this gets straightened out

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Hey bud I know you want serious answers only and this is a super tough subject, but there's still some questions to ask.

It's a 2018 - does it still have warranty left?

Who did you buy from? Private party?

Did you have a PRE-purchase inspection done?

What noise was it making?

Get a sample of the oil and send it to blackstone labs ASAP.
Yes it still has the warranty.

I bought it from a dealership in MN.

I had an inspection done but at my hometown dealership 3 days later.

The noise only happened at 1500RPM and 8 mph, I didn’t it just sounded like a slight heat shield rattle that I could easily fix on my own. Then they dropped the oil and found metal.
Sponsored