TYPE R FK8 ENGINE RATTLE WHEN BRAKE APPLIED IN NEUTRAL

TypeR_28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK8 2017
Hi guys,

Bit of a strange one. But has anyone else experienced the issue below.

I have a 2017 civic type r fk8 and whenever im in neutral and i slightly press and apply the brake pedal and let off the brake pedal, i hear an audible tapping noise from drivers side engine bay.

Seem to hear it more clearly when parked in a car park or near a wall. I guess due to the echo.

I have recently taken the car to Honda and one of the technicians heard the noise and said that it was emitting from the timing chain area. Most likely rubbing on the plastic cover etc. But nothing to worry about.
Its been booked in for further inspection next week.

Any thoughts from anyone on here who may have a heard a similar noise?
Or maybe test and see if they can reproduce the same noise?

Any advise and help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Sponsored

wallyinc

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R , S2000 Powered ā€˜72 BMW 2002
Country flag
Hello, my 2018 civic type r also developed this problem around 6500 miles.

A loud knocking noise develops from the valve cover by the timing chain only when the brake/ e-brake is engaged. Really noticeable when the car is at idle.

My car is currently at the dealership and they are in contact with Honda. Is anyone else having this problem? My car is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
Hello, my 2018 civic type r also developed this problem around 6500 miles.

A loud knocking noise develops from the valve cover by the timing chain only when the brake/ e-brake is engaged. Really noticeable when the car is at idle.

My car is currently at the dealership and they are in contact with Honda. Is anyone else having this problem? My car is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Same here type r 2018 but no need e break. Dealer install a new timing chain but change nothing. Finaly they open entire engine, found nothing..... I got a new engine (base and head).

The noise is still there ..... do you have any idea? Idler pulley or tensioner of the drive belt?

Last edited:

CDNTyper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 1999 turbo EK
Country flag
Iā€™m interested in seeing the conclusion to this issue. Iā€™ve noticed that same noise with my 18 around 6000km. Everything seems to be fine. I have not noticed if applying e brake effects anything, but I will try it without. I noticed the engine only does it once warm. Keep us updated with anything they find!

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
Bump

Video of my car ?

New bloc, new head, new timing chain .... No change...

Last edited:

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
Bump

Video of my car ?

New bloc, new head, new timing chain .... No change...

Anyone that is mostly stock want to take this to the dealer and see if its the AC compressor bearing?

I just started getting the same noise but cant take my car in till next month.

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
Anyone that is mostly stock want to take this to the dealer and see if its the AC compressor bearing?

I just started getting the same noise but cant take my car in till next month.
My dealer change the engine (got new engine, change timing chain,adjust valve ect.) Nothing to do with that noise. My dealer can't fix it for now!

Remove the alternator belt and no change....

I'm going to go crazy

if someone finds the way to fix it , i will give 100$ or more. ?

Last edited:

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine is the AC compressor.

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you make sure the AC was off too? Just the engagement of the AC clutch plus the freon might still make a noise without a belt.... it's a long shot.

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
Did you make sure the AC was off too? Just the engagement of the AC clutch plus the freon might still make a noise without a belt.... it's a long shot.
?? My ac is always off. But i will do another check .

I hear the noise coming from the head or the timing chain, like vtc. But vtc and timing chain is new, like the head and the bloc.

all the internal dishes are new ?

Last edited:

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
Do a check with ac off and belt out... Noise still there.

Docholiday600

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have the same issue and itā€™s driving me crazy! It sounds just like the videos here and only when I apply the brakes! The dealer pretty much said itā€™s normal nothing to worry about and blew me off! Iā€™ve never heard anything like this before. Iā€™m sorry you guys are having similar issues but Iā€™m happy Iā€™m not the only one. Has anyone figured this out? If yes please let me know. I have a 2021 Type R 3k miles on it.

pmm_genXR

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Whatā€™s up guys, searching for answers on this very issue brought me here. Any idea as to what it may be? I have a 2020 that has done it since day 1 of ownership. I recently pulled the engine, installed 4P weisco pistons, and Saenz rods, all new bearings, head studs, and a new timing chain tensioner (mainly because I broke the original one ??ā€ā™‚???ā€ā™‚) but now the noise is louder like the video posted above. Driving me crazy, oil pressure is perfect. I pulled the timing cover just to confirm no mistakes on my behalf, and everything is perfect. Idk guysā€¦ it sounds terrible though. If you guys have had any luck finding the issue please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored