Type R FBO + Custom Tune Dyno Results (376 whp / 387 wtq) & Products Review (PRL, Remus, PTP/USR)

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
How do you tune boost by gear?
Sponsored

intekjim

2019 CIVIC TYPE R
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
intek.net
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC TYPE R & 2021 CIVIC TYPE R LE USA-103
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great reading... Many questions.. I was looking at REMUS exhaust and I found your post. My 2019 is still a virgin and I would like to move in the same FBO direction for the same reasons you chose. Daily Driver and only 2000 miles so far. If you had to do it all over again what would be your first step? Dyno first? KTuners second? In your original post it is either a miss spelling or I am not familiar with the term "hook" first and second gear... Can you explain? Thanks again

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Great reading... Many questions.. I was looking at REMUS exhaust and I found your post. My 2019 is still a virgin and I would like to move in the same FBO direction for the same reasons you chose. Daily Driver and only 2000 miles so far. If you had to do it all over again what would be your first step? Dyno first? KTuners second? In your original post it is either a miss spelling or I am not familiar with the term "hook" first and second gear... Can you explain? Thanks again
Hook he is referring to the tire traction in those gears. Adjusted boost by gear so there wasn't too much power causing wheel spin and instead the tires hook up and just accelerate the car.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I've seen posts referring to power being limited to the higher end for traction purposes. Just curious - what is it about higher RPM's that allows power to be put down without losing traction?

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
First get a baseline dyno with no mods. You’ve already driven it enough to break it in.

Second get ktuner or hondata before any other performance mod. The only way to unlock max power of bolt ons is through tuning. I like ktuner and their stage 1 tune has been tried and tested on thousands of miles of cars. I just got an oil analysis done after a few thousand miles of driving on ktuner stage 1 (before my custom tune) and no issues to report (I’m gonna post results separately in @KTuner separate thread).

Then I would def get an upgraded intercooler if you drive in anything other than pure highway driving. I live in a city and stop and go traffic gets the intake air temps really hot.

Then I would get downpipe.

Then if you want more sound, get an exhaust. I’m pretty sure most exhausts will not give you much power gains and as long as they’re large enough diameter they won’t restrict hp.

Then get an intake if you want to improve the sound, but honestly if you’ve done all the mods above, i don’t think you’ll make a ton more power.

Finally, get a custom tune once all parts have been installed. This is where the most power will be made, but this is also where you can destroy your car quickly. Find a reputable tuner who has tuned a lot of type r’s, and tell them what your goals are then listen to what they have to say. Listen to their advice to keep things safe.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I've seen posts referring to power being limited to the higher end for traction purposes. Just curious - what is it about higher RPM's that allows power to be put down without losing traction?
It’s because it requires a lot of grip from the tires to move a car forward that’s standing still vs one already in motion.

EDIT: Also, If you dump a ton of power to the wheels when the car is not really moving (lower speeds and lower rpm in lower gears), the grip problem is exacerbated because the car will shift its weight backwards to the rear wheels, and if you have a front wheel drive car like ours, you won’t have enough force pushing down on the front wheels so then you’ll spin. If you then, say for example are going 50mph and unload the power, the tires in front will have more grip because (A) you're already in motion and (B) the weight won’t shift to rear as drastically. I hope that makes sense

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
It’s because it requires a lot of grip from the tires to move a car forward that’s standing still vs one already in motion. If you dump a ton of power to the wheels when the car is not really moving (lower speeds and lower rpm in lower gears), you’re likely going to spin tires because the car will shift its weight backwards to the rear wheels, and if you have a front wheel drive car like ours, you won’t have enough force pushing down on the front wheels so then you’ll spin. If you then, say for example are going 50mph and unload the power, the tires in front will have more grip because the weight won’t shift to rear as drastically. I hope that makes sense
That makes sense, and helps to explain why people can have 800 hp 8th gens with all high end power, but a 400 hp 10th Gen with massive low end torque just spins.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
^ Not to derail this thread further, but that isn't exactly correct. The reason the tires are less likely to spin at higher rpm has very little to do with weight shifting and everything to do with the amount of torque transferred to the ground over a given distance. If a car puts 300hp to the ground at 30MPH, the grip (or friction) required by the tires to not spin is twice that which would be required to put 300hp to the ground at 60MPH.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
^ Not to derail this thread further, but that isn't exactly correct. The reason the tires are less likely to spin at higher rpm has very little to do with weight shifting and everything to do with the amount of torque transferred to the ground over a given distance. If a car puts 300hp to the ground at 30MPH, the grip (or friction) required by the tires to not spin is twice that which would be required to put 300hp to the ground at 60MPH.
I agree, I tried to capture that in my first sentence of grip required when moving from a stop or slow speed vs grip required when already in motion. Thanks for clarifying.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
nice update!

I think you should stop there, lol, definitely enough power :D
Thanks! I finally stretched the car's legs on the new 376 whp boost by gear tune. Was driving to go skiing on my all seasons. A newer mustang GT with exhaust and lowered (sounded great actually) was playing in traffic and got right in front of me at a light. He took off on the next green (as I expected) and I don't know if he was letting me keep up, but the Mustang was not pulling ahead by much if at all (although in second he broke traction for a second then was right back on it, although I also was spinning in 1st and 2nd a bit). We got up to 90 or so and then hit traffic so both of us backed off. He rolled his window down and gave the thumbs up as I think he was genuinely surprised that the little CTR was hanging. I was also shocked lol. Felt like a proud dad.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! I finally stretched the car's legs on the new 376 whp boost by gear tune. Was driving to go skiing on my all seasons. A newer mustang GT with exhaust and lowered (sounded great actually) was playing in traffic and got right in front of me at a light. He took off on the next green (as I expected) and I don't know if he was letting me keep up, but the Mustang was not pulling ahead by much if at all (although in second he broke traction for a second then was right back on it, although I also was spinning in 1st and 2nd a bit). We got up to 90 or so and then hit traffic so both of us backed off. He rolled his window down and gave the thumbs up as I think he was genuinely surprised that the little CTR was hanging. I was also shocked lol. Felt like a proud dad.
yeah, those new ones are beasty, especially on launch lol...hard to keep up with them on a launch so that's good you did.

Higgo8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 CTR GT
Country flag
Great read up this is, and pretty much where I want to be... Not crazy, just subtle. Thanks for your effort and time on posting chap :)

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Who does the tuning on your car? Because i live in South Alabama and cant find anybody who tunes Hondata on Type Rs. I really believe the car can make 350whp without bolt ons with good tuning.
Sponsored

Last edited: