Type R FBO + Custom Tune Dyno Results (376 whp / 387 wtq) & Products Review (PRL, Remus, PTP/USR)

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hmm, I was actually thinking of changing to the PRL catted DP from my current catless PRL DP so I can be legal for STU class autocross. If only +6-7hp gain, then I might have to reconsider.
I'll let @PRL Motorsports confirm that the catted has a 6-7hp gain, but that's based on me taking their catless DP gain of 16hp and subtracting 10hp for the cat.
Sponsored

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Upload the tune and you can charge for it! You can probably get what you paid for it after many downloads.
Haha, I don't think I will be doing that (also, the tune may work optimally on my car but maybe not on another car; they're all unique).

The services of @D-RobIMW are well worth what he charges. You will not be disappointed!

dxbydt

First Name
Ian Holm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I wish Derek wasn't so far away. I'm in Oregon. Does anyone know of any experienced shops on this side of the country?

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
I wish Derek wasn't so far away. I'm in Oregon. Does anyone know of any experienced shops on this side of the country?
I did etuning with Kenny Sampson for my 2014 Accord V6. Couple years ago he moved out to Washington to work with Speedfactory. Maybe look into them?

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
For future reference Return to factory in the tuning menu on a V1.2, or the Factory option on a V2, puts you back to 100% factory.
Does that implicate whether a dealer can tell that the ECU was ever modified, by the jailbreak or flash?

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
He does remote tuning and it sounds like a big chunk of his work is remote tuning so it must work pretty well (see his reviews on his FB page).

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'm curious what the gains would be on the r with just ktuner and custom etune from Rob (imw). If I had to guess, Id say 40-50 whp gain so around 340ish whp. I already have the ktuner v2 sitting on my workbench. I saw that ktuner says a stock r running a stage 1 tune resulted in 50whp and 65wtq on the canned stage 1 tune. Would a custom etune match or exceed the stage 1 canned tune that ktuner is showing dynos for? Not really concerned with the overall number (as long as its a safe amount of tq) but more of the delta.

I suppose an etune should come pretty close to or match the results ktuner saw but I assume an etune should be capable of a bit more. I'm still waiting to see 10k miles so I'm comfortable tuning...which might take a while.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I'm curious what the gains would be on the r with just ktuner and custom etune from Rob (imw). If I had to guess, Id say 40-50 whp gain so around 340ish whp. I already have the ktuner v2 sitting on my workbench. I saw that ktuner says a stock r running a stage 1 tune resulted in 50whp and 65wtq on the canned stage 1 tune. Would a custom etune match or exceed the stage 1 canned tune that ktuner is showing dynos for? Not really concerned with the overall number (as long as its a safe amount of tq) but more of the delta.

I suppose an etune should come pretty close to or match the results ktuner saw but I assume an etune should be capable of a bit more. I'm still waiting to see 10k miles so I'm comfortable tuning...which might take a while.
In the KTuner Extended Testing and Results thread (see link below, you'll have to search for his post), Derek mentioned he has been able to pick up gains above and beyond the KTuner Stage 1, so I would message him and see what he can do for you.

Also Derek knows the KTuner Stage 1 tune quite well since he worked with KTuner to help develop it.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ktuner-extended-testing-and-tune-results.21481/page-61#post-504431

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Just as you said, I think a few bolt ons + off the shelf tune only yields marginally higher numbers (i.e. see my FBO + KTuner Stage 1 DP Tune chart in the original post) vs. just the tune alone.

However, I think a few bolt ons + custom tune yields a massive gain in my experience (we picked nearly 30 whp over the KTuner Stage 1 DP Tune)
One could argue that the improvement came primarily from the custom tune vs the Stage 1, with the bolt ons continuing to add little.

Is your stock clutch still holding the power well?

Last edited:

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
One could argue that the improvement came primarily from the custom tune vs the Stage 1, with the bolt ons continuing to add little.

Is your stock clutch still holding the power well?
Stock clutch seems to be holding up great. I haven't been dumping the clutch, etc. and my 1st and 2nd gear is set up with lower torque targets (i.e. boost by gear) to help with traction.

I think the stock Type R clutches can hold in excess of 400 ft. lbs (I read that somewhere, but don't remember the source)

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Stock clutch seems to be holding up great. I haven't been dumping the clutch, etc. and my 1st and 2nd gear is set up with lower torque targets (i.e. boost by gear) to help with traction.

I think the stock Type R clutches can hold in excess of 400 ft. lbs (I read that somewhere, but don't remember the source)
Our stock clutch is finally starting to slip, however its been through countless track days, we also hammer it everyday and a drive back from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh PA.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Our stock clutch is finally starting to slip, however its been through countless track days, we also hammer it everyday and a drive back from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh PA.
I imagine that car gets tested pretty hard so I'm happy to hear the clutch lasted this long with that much abuse!

dxbydt

First Name
Ian Holm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@idragmazda Did you use the PRL catted downpipe with the Fabspeed O2 spacer and have you had any CEL errors?

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
@idragmazda Did you use the PRL catted downpipe with the Fabspeed O2 spacer and have you had any CEL errors?
I used the catted DP but did not use the O2 Spacer. I have KTuner and I believe that is what we used to clear the error codes.
Sponsored