Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
could it have been over revved a few times first?
I’m not sure how the rev limiter works on the canned tunes. It’s a daily driver He’s had it 2 years and 3 months and has 24k on it. He really doesn’t beat on it. He’s barely modded so he doesn’t drive it like a hot rod. I mean he’s barely below the 12k average per year. I obviously don’t ride with him on the daily so I can’t confirm that but I don’t see throwing a piston thru the floor breaking your timing chain. It would make more sense that the timing chain broke 1st to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
I think the only way to tell whats really happened is when the engine is stripped down and inspected to determine the cause, its all speculation until then.

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the only way to tell whats really happened is when the engine is stripped down and inspected to determine the cause, its all speculation until then.
I agree to that point. I would think the ECU would house the event codes also. It’s just very odd that there’s not anyone else to experience this. Is it true that a broken timing chain would blow up your engine? That doesn’t make sense to me either you would think there would be something in the ECU to prevent that.

Last edited:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
If a timing chain snaps the chances are the pistons ans valves will make contact leading to chatarophic failiure. As I said only a strip down will reveal the true cause of what has happened internally and something along the lines of a timing chain breakage will not necessarily be recorded on the ecu .

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Looks like a computer glitch.:dunno:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't it really be caused by almost anything at this point? Abuse, factory defect, money shift etc...

Hard to be definitive from looking at the aftermath pics. Hopefully we can find the actual culprit behind this at some point.

Last edited:

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
get this torn down asap and let us know what they find. the biggest impact point appears to be where the chain is but its hard to imagine the chain breaking causing that much damage. unless he's spinning this thing out at some ungodly rpm when it happened. very curious to see what the internals look like.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
You have a ton of Honda blue coolant on the bottom of the pan and inside on the oil pump. This 100% involves a thrown rod or broken rotating assembly, cracking a cooling jacket in addition to exploding the pan. The pan is cast aluminum so it doesn’t take much to pop it once things go wrong.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much oil was in the engine? Honda engines don't just fail, especially after 24,xxx miles. Abuse.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Without pulling the motor and checking the datalogs everything is just speculation. you said it yourself, you dont ride with your buddy all the time. What are his driving habits like when hes on his own? Couldve been low oil, couldve been overreved, couldve just been plain bad luck.

Get the motor pulled apart and have it inspected by a shop to determine what went wrong. Take a look at the datalogs to see if theres anything irregular.

Good luck to your buddy.

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He’s dropping off today. I’ll let you know what I find out. The dealership said Honda may want to have a look since this is so uncommon. They tune vehicles all the time with common bolt ons and K Tuner or Hondata so I’m interested as well since nothing is out there similar I could find. The only other driver is his wife and she puts about half the miles on and is most definitely not banging off the rev limiter or hammering down.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah probably a warranty issue. Unless the owner was abusing it and I mean REALLY abusing it by launching, money shifting, revving the nuts off of it while it's cold etc. And even then on a car like the type R which is meant to be driven hard shouldn't blow up especially with basic mods like that, so I don't really think it's abuse.

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like a computer glitch.:dunno:
Anything is possible I am really interested to know myself.

A couple of points.

1. You can tell the vehicle was stopped quickly at the time of the failure. The fluids are all over the ground at the tow site.

2. Odd that the ECU wouldn’t throw a 0341 (I think) is the code for timing belt/chain slip, stretch fails.

3. There were no check engine lights or issues leading up to the fail.

4. So they strapped this monster down to the dyno like it was about to climb the dyno like King Kong up the Empire State Building and it pulls a dominant 0whp/0wtq!

5. Just joking about the dyno but I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated. I’m sure many are just as interested in this one as me.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My guess is LSPI. What oil/fuel was he using? Now SN and SN+ are already old; there are API SP tests for oil.
These guys are trying to talk about LSPI mixed with some some chemistry "show and tell" here, even mention timing chain wear somehow.
The question is whether the chain broke first, or a big detonation, which can also cause the chain to fail.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aftermarket oil filter and wrong oil is what went wrong most likely.:flame:
Sponsored