First Name
Jonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegan Blue Metallic Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello guys,

Around Christmas this year, my fiancee and I will be driving out to Yosemite National Park from LA (about 5 hours). There will definitely be snow in the area during that time of year. I'm currently on the stock wheel and tire set up.

Do you guys have any recommendations for driving in the snow while I'm up there? Are chains okay/recommended when needed? I know that snow tires are probably the safest bet but I heard they're not good for driving long distances without snow (ie: driving on the highway to get to Yosemite)?

Thanks for any input in advance!
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Driving in snow, or cold, on the stock tires is a recipe for disaster. Seriously; you could hurt yourself or others, or worse.

Winter tires are fine for long distances as long as the temps are low. The amount of precipitation doesn't really matter as much as temps. As long as the temps are 45F or below, you should be fine, though it's not usually advisable to go more than about 80 MPH.

Even all-seasons would be a massive improvement over the essentially useless (in snow/cold) stock Contis.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Don't take your stock wheels on snow, and avoid any temps lower than 45F except for extremely short and infrequent occasions. Renting a car would be cheaper than buying new wheels and winter tires (You will have a heck of a time finding winter tires that fit stock, would probably be cheaper to get new wheels and tires, or cheaper yet rent a car!)

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Hello guys,

Around Christmas this year, my fiancee and I will be driving out to Yosemite National Park from LA (about 5 hours). There will definitely be snow in the area during that time of year. I'm currently on the stock wheel and tire set up.

Do you guys have any recommendations for driving in the snow while I'm up there? Are chains okay/recommended when needed? I know that snow tires are probably the safest bet but I heard they're not good for driving long distances without snow (ie: driving on the highway to get to Yosemite)?

Please just rent a car, the chance of you wrecking is huge. Especially if you know there is going to be snow.

OP
OP
jontron5000

jontron5000

First Name
Jonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegan Blue Metallic Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendations. Seems like the safest bet would be to just rent a car. I appreciate all of you :) Happy holidays!

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i drove mine when it was 32 degrees out car did fine but they did seem to make more noise ( could just been in my head lol)

TypeRHelvetia

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Agree with all comments here. The stock tyres are USELESS in cold temperatures. In snow you will have no chance. Get a set of 18’ wheels and good dedicated winter tyres like Nokians. However, renting a car will be the easiest.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Agree with everyone else re renting vs buying winter wheels/tires. But the rental won’t have winter tires either. A front wheel drive car with all season tires may be fine but you’ll want to bring a set of ’chains’.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
This car does not feel fun driving in 40 below degrees temps. I am getting away with it, but i dont recommend it at all.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Hello guys,

Get a rental for it.

Unless you plan on getting a dedicated set of snow tires for the car, don't risk it.
Sponsored