Type R clutch + flywheel on Si

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
So I keep hearing about this, but how does one actually acquire it?
Sponsored

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been wondering the same thing. Everything I see says to DM "Eman" and have him set you up with one. There is also a larger thread on this from earlier this year (and I'm sure several others): https://www.civicx.com/threads/type-r-clutch-flywheel-in-an-si.24195/

It seems, from my perspective, that only one person knows how to do it at the moment and is trying to keep it a secret so that they can profit from it until someone else figures it out. Just seems like a shady business deal to me.

I have a couple years left on warranty before I tune and add mods. Hopefully it's a more transparent process by then!

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not really shady to keep something you figured out a secret and provide the service to others for a profit. That's basically the whole idea of a business.

I'd prefer just going with an OEM fit over the Type R personally so that it didn't have to have any kind of custom fitting done, but some have their preference and really want the Type R option.

A more legit business move, IMO, would be to patent the process or part needed to make the R wheel/clutch work in the Si. From there you could work with manufacturers and create an actual legit product.

The whole process being behind closed doors just seems shady to me. I am happy that someone is offering it and sharing the option at least. The secretive nature of the process, though, just doesn't sit well with me.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
I'm debating between the stage 2 and 2+ ..leaning towards 2, just because I don't plan on going flex fuel. The 2 is already good for ~340 wtq, which is way more than I'll ever make with bolt-ons and 91 octane.

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Also I kinda wish the steel flywheel was a little bit lighter. The aluminum one is too light, but they were saying the steel would be around 20 lbs, and it ended up being 25 lbs. I hope -7 lbs lighter than stock is enough to make a noticeable difference in revving response.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
how long will the spec last though? OEM clutches last a long time.
SPEC reports that all of their friction materials are going to last much longer than an OE clutch in a performance application. Their 3+ has the longest life (the longest in the industry, they report), but they are all about the same with the exception of the Stage 5 material, which has an noticeably shorter lifespan. As long as each customer selects the appropriate stage for their intended use, lifespan should not be an issue.

Just don't buy the stage 2 and hit it with a custom flex fuel tune and wonder what happened to your clutch. :)

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
I just think there's already more than enough torque with just bolt-ons and 91 octane. And flex fuel continues to increase torque more than horsepower. I would wanna get the W1 turbo to balance out the low end torque of flex fuel with more top end horsepower. And at that point I'm not sure how the engine and transmission will hold up in the long run (plan to keep the car for at least 10 years). Basically it's the long term reliability that makes me hesitant to keep adding power. Even though I definitely want that power lol.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
I just think there's already more than enough torque with just bolt-ons and 91 octane. And flex fuel continues to increase torque more than horsepower. I would wanna get the W1 turbo to balance out the low end torque of flex fuel with more top end horsepower. And at that point I'm not sure how the engine and transmission will hold up in the long run (plan to keep the car for at least 10 years). Basically it's the long term reliability that makes me hesitant to keep adding power. Even though I definitely want that power lol.
Lol. This is my exact setup. Full bolt on, w1 turbo, and flex fuel. Getting tuned with Derrick once my SPEC clutch gets broken in. I’m a little hesitant with long term reliability with all this to be honest.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@airickmatthews how is the car with all those mods? Does it feel way faster than stock?
Sponsored