Type R buzzing sound around 3100-3400rpm

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
I have 8800 miles on my FK8. Seems almost since around 3000miles I have experienced a buzzing sound coming from dash or frontal area of the car. This only occurs when accelerating and the revs are between 3100-3500rpm. If I depress the clutch and just rev the engine through this band, there is not a peep.
it seems to be significantly worse under higher loads, ie higher gear at lower speed and you are passing through this rev band.

Dealer thought it was a loose floor vent but that didn’t fix it, though the noise did change pitch slightly. So maybe there were two separate places causing this noise and now I’m down to one.

anyone have similar issue?
Sponsored

Ricardowelch

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have 8800 miles on my FK8. Seems almost since around 3000miles I have experienced a buzzing sound coming from dash or frontal area of the car. This only occurs when accelerating and the revs are between 3100-3500rpm. If I depress the clutch and just rev the engine through this band, there is not a peep. Mike Cross reviews what rpm should my car be at. You can visit AutoGuysLand to get more info if you concern.
it seems to be significantly worse under higher loads, ie higher gear at lower speed and you are passing through this rev band.

Dealer thought it was a loose floor vent but that didn’t fix it, though the noise did change pitch slightly. So maybe there were two separate places causing this noise and now I’m down to one.

anyone have similar issue?
It is possible exhaust leaks to a bad tire bearing and loose heat shield. Take a look at them.

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ABM CTR, 2004 Mini CooperS
Country flag
This sounds similar to the issue I have had since I got the car... I have less then 600 miles on mine and its like a buzzing/electric whining sound when I press the accelerator. Harder I press the pedal I feel it gets louder. I have not called the dealer yet about it, I am not sure if it is normal or not. I am going to video the sound and then send it to my service tech and see if he know anything. I never recall this noise on any other turbo vehicle I have had.

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ABM CTR, 2004 Mini CooperS
Country flag
It seems to me like you guys are talking about the wastegate. Its supposed to make that noise.
Ah okay, phew. I just never had that noise with any other vehicle so I was not sure. And I don't recall hearing that on the 2017 I test drove before I got my 2019. Thank you!!

OP
OP
tbobtx

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
It seems to me like you guys are talking about the wastegate. Its supposed to make that noise.
So you saying this buzzing/rattle sound while accelerating slowly or normally through the revs between the rev range of 3100-3500rpm in every gear is the wastegate vibrating and below this and above this rev range it stays quiet?

OP
OP
tbobtx

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dealer still hunting this thing down. I took the car back from dealer and drove car this weekend. It seems even worse than before. Again this is a buzz or metallic rattle noise only between 3100-3500rpm. Easiest to reproduce if slowly moving through this rpm range in any of the gears(6th harder since traveling at a significant pace). If fly through the gears, you hear it but of course quickly dissipated as go through The rpm range too quickly. Dealer plans to hook up the stereoscopic listeners in the next week. We will see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tbobtx

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On going update to this issue. Dealer found or thinks found the problem. It is the Heater core and Hester core box vibrating/resonating in that rev range. They tried to just replace the heater core and insulate the box but that failed. New complete unit is on order. Should be in this week.

on another note, I have two new irritating noises that have developed. One in the Driver side windshield A pillar and one in the passenger B pillar but if press on the rear door near the pillar the noise goes away.

cekIV

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
On going update to this issue. Dealer found or thinks found the problem. It is the Heater core and Hester core box vibrating/resonating in that rev range. They tried to just replace the heater core and insulate the box but that failed. New complete unit is on order. Should be in this week.

on another note, I have two new irritating noises that have developed. One in the Driver side windshield A pillar and one in the passenger B pillar but if press on the rear door near the pillar the noise goes away.
Did replacing the heater core and box fix the problem? The plastic on mine is vibrating as well.

OP
OP
tbobtx

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did replacing the heater core and box fix the problem? The plastic on mine is vibrating as well.
It did for about a week. Then a plastic part coming off the heater core is now buzzing but stops when I grab the tube. I have been waiting to take it back in to be fixed

OP
OP
tbobtx

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like they fixed the issue by putting some felt tape on the tube connecting to the heater box and all the screws holding the tube to the body/dash. Driven 500miles since repair.
Also there was another buzzing sound at same RPM range. They found a nut wedged between the subframe and body. Don't know how it got there and it didn't look like it fell off from anywhere. Strange.
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R buzzing sound around 3100-3400rpm Attachment-1

cekIV

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you please post a pic of where they put the felt tape? I'm not sure which hose you're talking about. Thanks!

OP
OP
tbobtx

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you please post a pic of where they put the felt tape? I'm not sure which hose you're talking about. Thanks!
Here is the piece under the driver side dash
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R buzzing sound around 3100-3400rpm FA464D34-D83F-4846-9217-09C54CA925B1

cekIV

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My glovebox has been removed for weeks now as I have been diagnosing the problem ( Valley Honda did ZERO to help me when I brought it in). If I lean over and put pressure on the heater core, the buzzing will stop. I tried putting sound deadener on it. That did nothing. I have to figure out a more permanent solution. BTW my noise is coming from the passenger side. Then of course there's the A pillar rattle. Honda used to produce tight cars. Not any more.
Sponsored