Type R /autox current best tires

solohatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Might be going to Nationals (if it happens) in DS this year, and was wondering what the hot tire setup is for the Type R? I saw that Leeder won on Re71 last year. I'm assuming the 265/35R19 size?

Has anyone test fitted the Yokohama A052 in 255/40r20? The diameter is 27.9, vs the stock tire's 25.8, so dunno if it's too tall to fit.

Type R autox thread was TL;DR.

TIA.
J@mes Y0m
Sponsored

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
I ran the A052's on a set of 19" Motegi's which are now up for sale. That said, I had a fresh set of RE71R's I was holding back for Nat's before I cancelled. The A052's were fast, especially right out the box, but I'm dubious whether they are as fast the Stones, and would certainly think that they'd be a really bad idea if you had a co-driver as they did not get faster with heat. Once the heat got into the carcass, there was no amount of spraying to bring it back. Another observation I'd give is that you really have to either jack up your rear sway bar adjustment or tire pressure or do funky things with your alignment as they will not let the car rotate much.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I'm running the RE71R's in the 245-35-19 size. I can overload those fronts to get them howling. Guessing a 265 would be better.

A competitor with a Veloster N had the Yok's A052's and did not like them. They would get hot easily and wore quickly.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I'm running the RE71R's in the 245-35-19 size. I can overload those fronts to get them howling. Guessing a 265 would be better.

A competitor with a Veloster N had the Yok's A052's and did not like them. They would get hot easily and wore quickly.
I think I’ll buy my next set in 265. I’m running 255 now. I’m just a little concerned that the tire shops around here may not be able to mount them. Discount tire struggled getting the 255’s on. I guess they run pretty wide.

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
After seeing the A052s in DS #80 Lineberry Focus RS fall apart after the 2019 Nationals knowing he had limited the runs on them (he's a local competitor), no thank you.

I saw Teddie's A052s after National and that tire needs real camber.

Bridgestone changed the compound in 2019. I've heard people want to try the new Falkens that SSC is running. Donnie, GS Civic Si, so far really likes them. I haven't heard if they are available for 19s & 20s.

bluehand

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Bridgestone changed the compound in 2019. I've heard people want to try the new Falkens that SSC is running. Donnie, GS Civic Si, so far really likes them. I haven't heard if they are available for 19s & 20s.
Where did you get the info that Bridgestone changed their compound in 2019?

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where did you get the info that Bridgestone changed their compound in 2019?
From the Lady in charge at Bridgestone. She's a good friend of one of the sportscar drivers, Legge, and knows my boyfriend, who works for HPD, so when we see each other at the races we talk. She didn't like the change.

bluehand

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
From the Lady in charge at Bridgestone. She's a good friend of one of the sportscar drivers, Legge, and knows my boyfriend, who works for HPD, so when we see each other at the races we talk. She didn't like the change.
Thanks for the info...any idea why she didn’t like the change? I would expect it’s supposed to improve the previous version

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info...any Any idea why she didn’t like the change? I would expect it’s supposed to improve the previous version
From what I head from other sources was the Japanese customers wanted more longevity from the tire.

Also the reps from Bridgestone that were at Nationals said they never had a tie last do long on the market.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
After seeing the A052s in DS #80 Lineberry Focus RS fall apart after the 2019 Nationals knowing he had limited the runs on them (he's a local competitor), no thank you.

I saw Teddie's A052s after National and that tire needs real camber.

So i dont mean to call BS on this but i dont think thats true at all. now i do know they are working on the next tire and i have heard that longevity is the intention but they would be foolish to change compounds mid cycle. doesn't make financial sense for them.

also after see ing what happend to the other DS guys at nats on A052s that would be a no. Ive been on the re71 since it was new, i know the tire very well and for me(it worked) i knew what it would do, how it would react, it was a variable i didnt have to worry about.

A052s need camber, more than a street class car will allow.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Might be going to Nationals (if it happens) in DS this year, and was wondering what the hot tire setup is for the Type R? I saw that Leeder won on Re71 last year. I'm assuming the 265/35R19 size?

Has anyone test fitted the Yokohama A052 in 255/40r20? The diameter is 27.9, vs the stock tire's 25.8, so dunno if it's too tall to fit.

Type R autox thread was TL;DR.

TIA.
J@mes Y0m
also i ran 275/35. im sure 265 would be fine as well but i like the 275

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So Kara who works in that specific performance department at Bridgestone is lying, huh. Interesting because her words were backed up by the reps at the 2019 Natz.

Call BS, there is no mean to - do it or don't, all you want. The tire was past it's cycle. They've never had one last so long in the market without a change. The change was to the compound. My friend in a BS Corvette was wondering what was up with his new set of RE71s stating they didn't come in to grip as fast as the last set.

Right now I have no need for a new set, I'll just see what others go with when it's time.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So Kara who works in that specific performance department at Bridgestone is lying, huh. Interesting because her words were backed up by the reps at the 2019 Natz.

Call BS, there is no mean to - do it or don't, all you want. The tire was past it's cycle. They've never had one last so long in the market without a change. The change was to the compound. My friend in a BS Corvette was wondering what was up with his new set of RE71s stating they didn't come in to grip as fast as the last set.

Right now I have no need for a new set, I'll just see what others go with when it's time.
all I can say is ive been on the re71 since it came out. have not noticed a difference at all. maybe they did, but sure doesn't seem like it to me.

also this is a gossipy sport, and if something would have changed I think we heard about this before it even happened, not supposedly after the fact. even my contacts at TR have said nothing about a change.

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
I think the changes is on the new re71rs tire which at this time is only available in asia (maybe europe?) No news on it coming to NA at this time. Some reviews saying its 2% better lap time and 5% better longivity. Also im on my 3rd set of re71r, didnt felt any difference
Sponsored

Last edited: