First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR in White
Country flag
Hello

I’ve had two major blowouts in a year, most recent being yesterday see picture. The guy at the shop recommended I also replace the front driver tire as it is close to blowing as well. So in a year I’ve replaced three OEM tires. My car is a 2018 and has 19k miles. I never have tracked this car and take care to drive and clear from port holes as best as possible. My question is if this is normal and if anyone else has had this major problem? Should I contact Honda about it ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Two tire blow outs in a year DD2C7F92-1774-4435-9FF7-9B0C5ECB94B9
Sponsored

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
From my experience these tires are just terrible. I’ve had two nails and a blade within 1000 miles. Bad luck I know but the blade caused me to replace the tire altogether at 1.5k miles.

yours blowing out like that is alarming though and maybe worth bringing to the attention of the dealer.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only getting 20k out of a high performance tire like that is not unusual at all. Part of the trade off of cost and performance. I read somewhere that they are rated for 10K miles but I do not recall the source. Some will see many more miles than that depending on road surfaces and driving habits.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Only getting 20k out of a high performance tire like that is not unusual at all. Part of the trade off of cost and performance. I read somewhere that they are rated for 10K miles but I do not recall the source. Some will see many more miles than that depending on road surfaces and driving habits.
The Monroney (window) sticker had a disclaimer that the tires might need replacement in as little as 10,000 miles.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had over 12k on mine before I finally got an actual good set of wheels. They were pretty worn but still have a little life left. A 30 series 20" tire on a 30 lb wheel is pretty stupid on Honda's part. Little (and expensive) tire choice and awful ride.

Have you considered getting a new wheel and tire setup in 18" or even 19? I was so satisfied and felt more confident actually having a sidewall on my tire. I don't regret anything about it other than waiting so long.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
These tires tend to melt at high temperatures. They are very soft.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
BTW, did you get the correct version of the 245/30R20 Sport Contact 6 tire? There are 2 versions of them, one of them is Honda spec.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Not normal. Knock on wood, but my Contis are about 60-70% done and I haven't had a single issue.

Are you checking tire pressure regularly? With so little sidewall, over or under pressure will have an outsized effect.

I do have 18x9.5 rims with 265/35 18 tires on for winter and I am much more confident about hitting potholes or weird deformations in the road. I am seriously considering completely ditching the 20's and going to 18's all year.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hit an unexpected pothole driving down freeway at a decent clip in the rain about 8 months ago. Bent my front passenger side rim and a good sized chunk of the tire sidewall blew out. Stock Contis. Was really lucky the tire some how stayed intact and didn’t completely blow out otherwise I could have been in some serious trouble.

Recently switched to 18’s and feel much safer.

polishedmetalctr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Probably because you took the rear wing off.

In all seriousness, if you got 19k miles out of the stock tires you were very prone to a blowout. I’m going to guess the threads were showing on the tire and you didn’t even know it (it happens). I’m nearing 8,000 miles and the 2 tires that were on the front for the first 5,000 miles are due for replacement, and I don’t even drive it very hard and never tracked.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
You simply drove to far on the tires. There is nothing to complain to Honda about.

Get a tire that lasts longer if you don’t want to deal with constant rotation and checks.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I haven't had the car for even a year yet, have 6k miles on it and already replaced a wheel lol. I would love to switch to 18's wheels with bigger tires but can't force myself to spend the money. Plus i have yet to find a wheel that catches my attention.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
I haven't had the car for even a year yet, have 6k miles on it and already replaced a wheel lol. I would love to switch to 18's wheels with bigger tires but can't force myself to spend the money. Plus i have yet to find a wheel that catches my attention.
Naruske, this is what I did at about 900 miles. The fear of killing something on the car during a blowout pushed me to it. I do not track the car and I do have fun driving it. At times it feels like this thing is glued to the road. I am seriously considering selling my originals as I'm keeping the car and I love these wheels / tires. From TireRack:

Honda Civic 10th gen Two tire blow outs in a year upload_2020-1-28_6-50-44

Honda Civic 10th gen Two tire blow outs in a year upload_2020-1-28_6-51-45

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They’re rated at 10k by the manufacturer. My car came with 5k miles all highway and the tread was halfway gone. I would just get some 255s so you have more sidewall.