Two obd2 ports?

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hello civic si owners

So I was moving my car at work and noticed some wires hanging near the clutch so I did some investigating and it looked like the dealer installed some sort of obd2 port anyone else have this and if so what is it for?

Located in Cali

Honda Civic 10th gen Two obd2 ports? F9A05908-F22B-494F-9F37-538898DFD96C

Honda Civic 10th gen Two obd2 ports? A75DCA52-6214-43E5-B00A-F77492742BE0

Honda Civic 10th gen Two obd2 ports? 87F2B82B-1B1A-4C68-A580-170E4A79883C

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I believe Lojack is a 100% self contained unit, with no wires going to, or coming from the Lojack Module. That's the while point.. it cannot be found by tracing wires, and cannot be disabled by cutting wires.

If the DEALER installed this "extra" wiring, they should be able to, and SHOULD be willing to, tell you what they did, and why.

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Update

Went to a different Honda dealership (i work for a body shop) and they informed me that it looks like a tracker. I am having them have a Honda tech look at it and will find out exactly what it is.

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Update
Looked into this deeper the dealer spliced a tracking device on my vehicle and I am having them remove it

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Update
Looked into this deeper the dealer spliced a tracking device on my vehicle and I am having them remove it
They also need to replace any and all wiring harnesses that have been compromised. I would be LIVID.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I've heard of 'buy here pay here' style used car dealers putting trackers on what they sell, but a new Honda? That's messed up.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've heard of 'buy here pay here' style used car dealers putting trackers on what they sell, but a new Honda? That's messed up.
Unfortunately, these devices are becoming as ubiquitous as pin striping, paint protection, VIN etching, and nitrogen. Honda even says "don't use nitrogen", but dealers do it, anyway, and try to charge people hundreds of dollars for it. The cost for these items is so low that they can easily afford to install them on every vehicle on the lot as standard procedure.

Last edited:

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did they charge you for this tracking device that was installed without your knowledge?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
This seems to be happening too frequently. I can remember several threads on here from memory of people with brand new Civics that discovered some tracking device just as you did.

This is totally unacceptable and I feel like Honda needs to put a stop to dealerships installing trackers in new vehicles without customer knowledge. You should complain to Honda corporate.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This seems to be happening too frequently. I can remember several threads on here from memory of people with brand new Civics that discovered some tracking device just as you did.

This is totally unacceptable and I feel like Honda needs to put a stop to dealerships installing trackers in new vehicles without customer knowledge. You should complain to Honda corporate.
Unfortunately, there's not much Honda can do. All dealers are independently owned and buy vehicles from Honda for the same price for resale. The most Honda can do is send a memo to dealers recommending that they avoid this practice and reminding them that Honda's warranty doesn't cover damage caused by the installation or non-Honda accessories. Dealers, however, are hardheaded and greedy - they choose to assume the risk involved by installing unauthorized accessories. They won't stop until they start paying more in repairs caused by the installation of these accessories than what they make by selling them.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update
I'm also in Cali...SoCal...may I ask what dealership you purchased your car from? It wouldn't happen to be Cerritos Norm Reeves Honda would it?

So we've determined it's a tracking device but WHY are they wanting to know where the car has been?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Unfortunately, there's not much Honda can do. All dealers are independently owned and buy vehicles from Honda for the same price for resale. The most Honda can do is send a memo to dealers recommending that they avoid this practice and reminding them that Honda's warranty doesn't cover damage caused by the installation or non-Honda accessories. Dealers, however, are hardheaded and greedy - they choose to assume the risk involved by installing unauthorized accessories. They won't stop until they start paying more in repairs caused by the installation of these accessories than what they make by selling them.
It's not an accessory if you don't know it's there. It's stalking. Unless they informed you there was a tracking device installed, they are in the wrong ethically and (potentially) legally.

Unless the dealership owns your loan or got your loan through a shady lender, there would be no reason for them to spend the money and labor installing it. Once they get paid out the sum of the loan from the lender, they shouldn't care anymore.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm also in Cali...SoCal...may I ask what dealership you purchased your car from? It wouldn't happen to be Cerritos Norm Reeves Honda would it?

So we've determined it's a tracking device but WHY are they wanting to know where the car has been?
It's not an accessory if you don't know it's there. It's stalking. Unless they informed you there was a tracking device installed, they are in the wrong ethically and (potentially) legally.

Unless the dealership owns your loan or got your loan through a shady lender, there would be no reason for them to spend the money and labor installing it. Once they get paid out the sum of the loan from the lender, they shouldn't care anymore.
Often, these are alarms or anti-theft devices and not necessarily tracking devices. Tracking devices should not be activated unless the customer agrees to and pays for the monitoring service, although the hardware may be present.

Many vehicles these days (including several Honda models) include hardware from the factory that is capable of tracking the vehicle as part of the infotainment system, but the tracking feature must be activated and the vehicle can only be tracked by the owner and/or law enforcement.
Sponsored

Last edited: