Two different tires from dealer??

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I feel kind of dumb about this. But I just realized I have Pirelli PZeros on my front wheels and the Continentals on the back wheels….

I bought this car (it’s a 2019) in January with 4800 miles on it, mint condition. Whoever owned it barely drove it for almost 3 years. I’m not sure they would’ve put the pirellis on. Also, at 16k miles, mostly highway-not tracked, all 4 of these tires have next to no tread left.

Curious if anyone has seen this before and if others are having the tread issues as well with these Tires
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
100% chance original owners burned through front tires and replaced with a cheaper option versus OEM at the time.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
100% chance original owners burned through front tires and replaced with a cheaper option versus OEM at the time.
I mean that was my guess as well but 3 years 4800 miles? That’s the confusing part for me.

GavinOC

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R Boost Blue Pearl
Country flag
I mean that was my guess as well but 3 years 4800 miles? That’s the confusing part for me.
Could have driven over glass, punctured a side wall, got a blow out, hit something etc.

Pirellis could have been what was available at the time, could have been cheaper - any number of reasons.

I previously had a mk7 gti, bought it new. Hit a pothole and goose egged the drivers side sidewall , changed both front tires from Bridgestone to pirelli as that’s what the shop had. Not the end of the world 🤷‍♂️. Car had about 4K on it at the time

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Did you pull a Carfax on the car (to make sure that the mileage makes sense)?

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
If you saw the car on the lot with front tires that were more than 50% worn and the backs looked new would you be suspicious? That's what happens if you don't rotate. The originals are good for maybe 10K with normal driving and rotation every 2500 miles. Owner probably didn't rotate or maybe tracked one day - the tires will be very worn after that.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
With proper tire rotation, I replaced my original OEM Contis at 4650 miles. The OEM
Conti's are rated for 10k miles. But aggressive driving (on and off track) it is very easy to go through them in less than 5k miles. And without proper rotation, even less than that.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
OEM tires fall apart during abuse after heating up. I've managed to wrangle 26,000 km out of mine so far, but that's through daily driving with no track use.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Could have driven over glass, punctured a side wall, got a blow out, hit something etc.

Pirellis could have been what was available at the time, could have been cheaper - any number of reasons.

I previously had a mk7 gti, bought it new. Hit a pothole and goose egged the drivers side sidewall , changed both front tires from Bridgestone to pirelli as that’s what the shop had. Not the end of the world 🤷‍♂️. Car had about 4K on it at the time
Yeah that’s what I figured. Might’ve wrecked one and replaced both, kept the other used one as a spare. Makes sense

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you saw the car on the lot with front tires that were more than 50% worn and the backs looked new would you be suspicious? That's what happens if you don't rotate. The originals are good for maybe 10K with normal driving and rotation every 2500 miles. Owner probably didn't rotate or maybe tracked one day - the tires will be very worn after that.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t really look at the tires tread considering it had 4800 miles on the OD. I didn’t even know there were two different tires until almost a year later lol. And honestly the back and fronts are all pretty worn at this point, I have to get a new set for the spring.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
I’ll be honest, I didn’t really look at the tires tread considering it had 4800 miles on the OD. I didn’t even know there were two different tires until almost a year later lol. And honestly the back and fronts are all pretty worn at this point, I have to get a new set for the spring.
If you had no problems with two different brands of tires... that was a Goodyear ;)

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
my guess the pevious owner got a used pair of pirellis off ebay and put them on before he sold the car. because those are pretyy common to find in 20s used.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
So it were me buying a used CTR I'd be so full of excitement, I'm sure I wouldn't notice
if it had 4 different tires 🤪
Sponsored