Tweeters

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX-T and I upgraded the four 6.5 speakers to JBL GX602 and disconnected the 4 tweeters because they were way to sharp and sounded real awful. I also hacked and installed the viper4android which was worth it. I only plan to install a powered Subwoofer (Rockford Fostgate P300-10).

My question is if I upgrade the tweeters will they still sound super sharp and awful? I do not plan to get an amp to power them.

Thanks
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX-T and I upgraded the four 6.5 speakers to JBL GX602 and disconnected the 4 tweeters because they were way to sharp and sounded real awful. I also hacked and installed the viper4android which was worth it. I only plan to install a powered Subwoofer (Rockford Fostgate P300-10).

My question is if I upgrade the tweeters will they still sound super sharp and awful? I do not plan to get an amp to power them.

Thanks
No. But, originally, you wouldve been better off getting a JBL component set for the front. On an EX-T the tweeters are ran in parallel with the mids. Since you now have coaxs in the front, when you add tweeters it'll only shift the sound stage slightly upward. Idk. Soundstage is all personal preference.

Be careful when selecting tweeters though. JBL tweeters huuuurt. They're sharp and tinny af. I personally prefer the Alpine S-Series tweeters as just a reference. There's plenty of other brands on crutchfield, though.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You could build a filter for the tweeter. Or if your lucky look on the crossover their might be a attenuation switch for the tweeter.

OP
OP
PandaXpress

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
i wanna replace the stock tweeter just dont wanna replace them and they get even more painfully sharper

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
i wanna replace the stock tweeter just dont wanna replace them and they get even more painfully sharper
To be honest the tweeters on the 602 in combination with the stock tweeters is probably what caused the pain.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
so you think upgrading the tweeters would be good?
Yes, but you're better off buying a component set rather than just buying tweeters for the front. Leave the rear tweeters disconnected, they don't matter.

OP
OP
PandaXpress

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I guess i'll just leave the stock tweeters disconnected and keep my current set up, i already have the coaxial speakers, i dont really wanna buy new 6.5 speakers

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I guess i'll just leave the stock tweeters disconnected and keep my current set up, i already have the coaxial speakers, i dont really wanna buy new 6.5 speakers
That, and well, tweeters ain't cheap. For decent you're looking at 50+ anyways, which is why you're better off getting component if you do add tweeters. All you're doing is shift the sound stage slightly upward considering there are still highs on your speakers now. Going component you remove the highs from the midwoofer, separating the sound stage. If you like your sound stage now, there's no reason to add tweeters unless you want to restore the original sound stage.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Alternate possibility: Stuff the area between the cone and the grill with cotton or use a KimWipe to filter/attenuate the output. You could easily test these by just placing stuff over the grills and decide what sounds best. The old NS-10 studio monitors used to have a really harsh tweeter. KimWipes were applied over them by engineers and producers to balance them out. It wasn't NASA high tech; but it was the standard until Yamaha changed the design.

Good luck.

BlueLdr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan (ABM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The harshness of the treble depends largely on the material that the cone of the tweeter is made out of. Silk-dome tweeters are much softer sounding, while titanium/aluminum tweeters are harsher but more detailed.

I'm planning on getting coaxials with titanium tweeters for the lower speakers, and silk-dome tweeters up top, so I can still have the detail without it being blasted right in my face.

BlueLdr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan (ABM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I talked to Crutchfield about my plan, and they said that it's better to have the same tweeter material throughout the car so that they're voice-matched, which makes a lot of sense. So I'm going to get a set of components instead of the coaxials and tweeters.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I talked to Crutchfield about my plan, and they said that it's better to have the same tweeter material throughout the car so that they're voice-matched, which makes a lot of sense. So I'm going to get a set of components instead of the coaxials and tweeters.
Ugh
Sponsored