Turn off certain things???

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
When I first start the car, every time there is a notice on screen with an OK button that displays for several seconds. Is there a way to get rid of that message?
Also , is there a way to turn off the seat belt warning chime or the visual of seatbelt on the display???
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty sure NTHSA or whoever would have a bitch fit if Honda let the customer deactivate these.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Pretty sure NTHSA or whoever would have a bitch fit if Honda let the customer deactivate these.
So if I choose to not wear my seat belt, I have to listen to the beeping non stop and see the seatbelt reminder constantly reminding and flashing over my info display??? I know seat belt is a law but so is speeding. Why not just not let the car go over 75 mph either? Makes no sense

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
So if I choose to not wear my seat belt, I have to listen to the beeping non stop and see the seatbelt reminder constantly reminding and flashing over my info display??? I know seat belt is a law but so is speeding. Why not just not let the car go over 75 mph either? Makes no sense
yep, buckle the belt behind you? So why do you not wearing a seat belt? Not trying to be rude or anything, but everytime I see an accident, and it says, driver wasn't wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the car, it just makes me shiver...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep! I mean, I find the woman's voice telling me to please put my seatbelt back on slightly comedic, and titillating (giggity), but really there's no reason not to.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
I'll chime in with a reason not to wear the seatbelt (one which I'm almost to my breaking point with): because the seat belt isn't adjustable at the shoulder guide (unlike every other car I've owned), which means unless you sit with the seat positioned in the exact correct spot, the shoulder strap digs into my neck. And with every bump, turn, or vibration, it saws into my neck constantly. Seriously, it makes me want to drive my car into a wall and end it all.

Sure, I could put my seat in that exact right spot for the seat belt to fit properly, but that means my head is hitting the ceiling and my knees are jammed into the steering wheel column or dash. I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable. I just don't get Honda's reasoning for this, like they really think that belt in it's stationary position will fit everyone just fine regardless of body type or how the seat is positioned.

I just posted a thread seeing if anyone has any ideas for this. I love the car so far, but I'm not going to be able to put up with this for the life of the car unless I can mod it somehow to lower the shoulder guide.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I'll chime in with a reason not to wear the seatbelt (one which I'm almost to my breaking point with): because the seat belt isn't adjustable at the shoulder guide (unlike every other car I've owned), which means unless you sit with the seat positioned in the exact correct spot, the shoulder strap digs into my neck. And with every bump, turn, or vibration, it saws into my neck constantly. Seriously, it makes me want to drive my car into a wall and end it all.

Sure, I could put my seat in that exact right spot for the seat belt to fit properly, but that means my head is hitting the ceiling and my knees are jammed into the steering wheel column or dash. I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable. I just don't get Honda's reasoning for this, like they really think that belt in it's stationary position will fit everyone just fine regardless of body type or how the seat is positioned.

I just posted a thread seeing if anyone has any ideas for this. I love the car so far, but I'm not going to be able to put up with this for the life of the car unless I can mod it somehow to lower the shoulder guide.
The seatbelt height is most definitely adjustable...there's a little thing you pull out at the shoulder point to raise/lower the latch point.

You can also get a little sleeve for seat belts.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No it's not, not in the coupe at least.

And the sleeve doesn't address the fact that the seat belt is not sitting properly against my chest and shoulder like it should. It's almost choking me because of the tension on it. It crosses my chest above my left collar bone!!!

There's got to be a way to mod it to make it fit properly.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
No it's not, not in the coupe at least.

And the sleeve doesn't address the fact that the seat belt is not sitting properly against my chest and shoulder like it should. It's almost choking me because of the tension on it. It crosses my chest above my left collar bone!!!

There's got to be a way to mod it to make it fit properly.
Just looked at pictures...my bad, you're right.

I guess I assumed the chance of you missing the adjustment buckle seemed higher than Honda not including height adjustment...lol.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I just don't get it. I'm kinda pissed I didn't notice during the test drive. I read somewhere that a seat belt extender may work. I found some that are 3" and 5". I don't know if it will work or if it will be more of a nuisance. Something's gotta give though.

BillyCuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
At least the Civic's warning screen automatically goes away... My dad's Mountaineer keeps that bad boy up until he accepts it. Every time he starts up his car. That would piss me off.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're in a crash that's bad enough to send you through the window, what do you think that seatbelt will do to your neck? I've survived 3 trips through the windshield. Been killed twice by the seat belt.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I've heard of more people dying from being tossed from a car than a seat belt killing them.
It's probably something like 1000:1. I work in an ER and talk to EMT people all the time. The situation where you'd be better off without a seat belt does exist, but the other 99.9% of the time, you're better with it. You might not be injury free, but you're far more likely to be killed or injured when ejected from the car. I've seen countless ejection traumas...you don't want to be one of those guys.

MagicMatt, go to Amazon and look up "seat belt pad". Lots of options. Not a perfect solution, but better than where you are now, probably.
Sponsored