Status
Not open for further replies.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Turbos need to spool up, but NA cars need to rev up, which affects responsiveness on underpowered cars. The 1.5T is definitely more responsive than the 2.0L. By the time the turbo spools up (162lbft @ 1700rpm), the NA car will still be trying to get to it's peak torque (138lbft @ 4200rpm). The slight lagginess in both cars actually has to do with the CVT, and the NA car has a much tougher time with that transmission because of it's lack of torque. I've driven both cars; there is no point in time in any rev range that the 2.0 feels more responsive than the 1.5T, not even off idle.
Sponsored

Tonysil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I only mentioned delays in calls for power as it might be a possible issue, though not particularly for me since I have N/A, which immediately does what you tell it. You don't have to wait while a turbo spools up. The longer 0-60 time is not from a delay in a call for power. Delays in calls for power, can be quite annoying for some, as it is a form of non-responsiveness.
I suggest you go test drive the 1.5T this week before you bash its driving characteristics, I think you'll find yourself surprised.

Markdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic LXS, 2007 Civic EX
Grinding noise is almost 100% the VTC actuator. Oil pushes through to open or close it but it does click metal on metal as it moves either way. To me it sounds like a quick flutter of the valve as the computer figures if timing should be advanced or retarded as engine fires up. It has zero to do with the turbo motor, Honda has had some issues with these on civic, accord and CRV.

Sounds like someone wants there to be issues with the turbo to justify their n/a purchase and secretly wish they bought the turbo. Haha

As for reliability, honda is putting turbos on almost all vehicles in the coming years. I trust honda engineers know what they are doing. CVT and high torque at low rpm are a perfect match.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbos image

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
You guys fail to realize that the 1.5T engine is the same or similar to any regular engine while gathering up boost then releases the pressure. It isn't much of a lag but build up time(which is micro seconds) . You guys are making things complicated lol.

Last edited:

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
The 1.5T is essentially an NA engine until the boost kicks in. Also, the camshaft profiles must be tuned for low-end because it's not a high-revving engine. Therefore, even as an NA engine it should be responsive off the line even before the turbo adds gobs of power.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why on earth are you guys making it sound like this car has turbo lag? Have you ever drove a car with actual turbo lag? Hop in my WRX and I'll show you turbo lag. Slow as snot in January under 3k rpm, but when it comes on WOOWEE!

This TD03 on the Civic is so tiny, we have boost (guessing) under 2k rpm. This car honestly doesn't even remotely feel like a turbo car, and that's the beauty of it. Just wait for the turbo upgrades to come out. Somebody is going to stick something like a GT3582R on this thing and it won't hit full boost until 5k rpm. THAT is turbo lag.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Why on earth are you guys making it sound like this car has turbo lag? Have you ever drove a car with actual turbo lag? Hop in my WRX and I'll show you turbo lag. Slow as snot in January under 3k rpm, but when it comes on WOOWEE!

This TD03 on the Civic is so tiny, we have boost (guessing) under 2k rpm. This car honestly doesn't even remotely feel like a turbo car, and that's the beauty of it. Just wait for the turbo upgrades to come out. Somebody is going to stick something like a GT3582R on this thing and it won't hit full boost until 5k rpm. THAT is turbo lag.
Are you saying there is absolutely no lag? Not even microseconds?

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
You can't feel microseconds. There is even a lag between your brain telling your foot to step on the gas, and your foot actually stepping in the gas. There is no turbo lag when compared to other turbos, but since it's a CVT, drive by wire, turbo and built for fuel efficiency, all components linking right foot to acceleration has some element of lag (by design or otherwise)

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
theres turbo lag on this setup. it doesnt make full boost until 2.8-3k. It shold be able to come in sooner but the ecu limits it

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
I don't know if that's called lag when there is boost but not full boost. Sometimes, the boost is controlled to give a more linear power curve or a meatier mid-range, or make a turbo car act like a larger displacement NA car. Sometimes it's to reduce wheel-spin. True turbo lag is when you need to wait for the turbo to spool up because it's too big, not a computer-controlled limit on boost.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If you mean is Honda going to make a Turbo K-series, then most likely yes. And you can always go aftermarket.

The entire industry is moving to FI due to government fuel economy regulations - maybe not next year, but at some point in the near future, most likely.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If you mean is Honda going to make a Turbo K-series, then most likely yes. And you can always go aftermarket.

The entire industry is moving to FI due to government fuel economy regulations - maybe not next year, but at some point in the near future, most likely.
*gasp* OMG Does Steve know this?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.