Turbo vs 2.0L Fuel Economy Comparison

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It is odd, but, most of my driving is city, even so was expecting at least 30ish. Called my dealer, spoke with a couple of different techs, they offered to do drive testing provided I payed for the gas needed.
Yeah, 25 seems low. I live AND work at the top of a hill, a lot of my "highway" driving is stop and go (805), when I am actually not in heavy traffic, I go 75-80mph, which is not this car's best mileage, I spend about 10 minutes a day driving in parking lots, and I'm still averaging 33.1, which is..30% higher than yours? That's pretty extreme. I dunno. I try to avoid rush hour and then it's just slow instead of stop and go, which this car does fine with, but 25 is hard to see unless you spend a lot of time driving around Hillcrest/downtown/North Park with the stop signs/lights every 50 feet.
Sponsored

bc16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
So far at 2500 miles, including 2 trips To NY from northern Virginia, car computer says I'm at 32.5 mpg. I do mostly city driving, commute is mostly 5 miles a day M-F. Some highway driving on the weekends.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Went on a road trip last weekend from San Diego to Palm Springs, was finally able to achieve 41.8 mpg on the way there, return trip was much lower due to heavy traffic, dropped down to low 30's, average MPG for that tank of gas ended up being 33.8 MPG with 50 miles of travel remaining on the meter. I might add cruise control was used extensively to achieve this MPG. It appears the "problem" I have with low MPG is probably from primarily city driving on most tanks.

This is my first Honda, previous car was a 2010 VW Jetta TDI, before that Toyota Corolla, Honda did a great job with the new Civic's. Overall, I'm quite happy with my Civic Touring: it handles well, fun to drive, dare I say a "sporty" feel to the drive, the audio sound system is fantastic, but the infotainment glitches remain one "weak" spot in the new Civic's (see various other threads on the forum for this), Honda needs to do more work on fixing various bugs that remain in this generation.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Another thing that will impact your computer's estimation of MPG is the length of the trip. I was getting like 28 in my CR-Z when I first got it because I was driving about 2 miles to work and 2 miles back. It wasn't enough to get the average for the trip high enough, but the actual MPG was higher than what the computer was telling me the average was. (The only reason I didn't just walk is because work was across a 6 lane major road with no crosswalks or real break in traffic)

Strack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX, 2002 Oldsmobile Alero
I currently have just over 4000km (2500miles) on the car an am averaging 5.1-5.2l/100km or 46mpg. I drive about 190km (120miles) a day, the majority is highway and I work fairly early so there is usually no traffic to slow down for (except the occasional deer)

-2.0l cvt

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Went on a road trip last weekend from San Diego to Palm Springs, was finally able to achieve 41.8 mpg on the way there, return trip was much lower due to heavy traffic, dropped down to low 30's, average MPG for that tank of gas ended up being 33.8 MPG with 50 miles of travel remaining on the meter. I might add cruise control was used extensively to achieve this MPG. It appears the "problem" I have with low MPG is probably from primarily city driving on most tanks.

This is my first Honda, previous car was a 2010 VW Jetta TDI, before that Toyota Corolla, Honda did a great job with the new Civic's. Overall, I'm quite happy with my Civic Touring: it handles well, fun to drive, dare I say a "sporty" feel to the drive, the audio sound system is fantastic, but the infotainment glitches remain one "weak" spot in the new Civic's (see various other threads on the forum for this), Honda needs to do more work on fixing various bugs that remain in this generation.
Was 33.8 from the trip computer? I notice the trip computer is fairly accurate for city driving for me, but extremely optimistic during highway driving. I had a mostly highway tank (up to Palm Springs as well, in fact) that the trip computer said was 36.5 but turned out to be 33.2 when I actually did the math (well...I let Fuelly do it).

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
I'm getting over 500 miles a tank and around 48mpg I have 6000 miles already,(getting ready to make my 1st payment) My car is all freeway driving at 70mph

Last edited:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I'm getting over 500 miles a tank and around 48mpg I have 6000 miles already, My car is all freeway driving at 70mph
12.4 gallons x 48 MPG = 595 mile range. Wow!

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
I fill up when my light comes on,, not sure how much is left,, I would assume 1 or 2 gal? Around 520 miles give or take, I believe I posted it here somewhere,

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Look at how many gallons you fill next time and subtract that from the spec'd size of the tank, and you'll know how many gallons are left.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't looked up to see how big the Coupe tank is, but I usually fill up at about 1/4 tank or so. On a recent return trip from Branson MO, I averaged almost 45 mpg driving through the Ozarks, multiple small towns, a few stops, using some A/C, using econ, with an average speed of 55 mph or so. Best I have gotten in any car ever. I'm happy.

Pic taken close to my home on the bypass.

View attachment 12265

SanDiegoCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yeah, 25 seems low. I live AND work at the top of a hill, a lot of my "highway" driving is stop and go (805), when I am actually not in heavy traffic, I go 75-80mph, which is not this car's best mileage, I spend about 10 minutes a day driving in parking lots, and I'm still averaging 33.1, which is..30% higher than yours? That's pretty extreme. I dunno. I try to avoid rush hour and then it's just slow instead of stop and go, which this car does fine with, but 25 is hard to see unless you spend a lot of time driving around Hillcrest/downtown/North Park with the stop signs/lights every 50 feet.
The highest I've been able to get is 28... Most of my driving is North Park, Hillcrest. But I also go up the 805 & 163 for work in Kerny Mesa. I'm trying to have a lighter foot. I'd love to get 40+! I seem to actually do better with the ECO turned of... Anyone else feel that way?

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Turned on ECO mode for the first time today because I was a little low on gas and wanted to see if I could conserve before I refueled. Showed about 39 mpg with mix of hwy and street traffic for my EX-T. Pretty impressed considering I only noticed a subtle change in driving characteristics. Might just keep it on ECO mode!

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
That's weird, I'm getting 36 at 500 miles. Are you a particularly heavy footed? I'm a pretty mild driver, but have been putting the car through its paces a bit to see what she can do.
I have touring with 200 miles, and noticed when you put your foot in it from a stop, the thing gets thirsty. If you're looking for a car you can put your foot in everytime and it not really effect your mpg you should have went with the toyota prius.
Sponsored