Turbo Upgrade Sneak Peek

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
That's a huge difference... I don't think a 1.5L would spool an impeller wheel that large... is this just a blown up photo on the right hand side. If not... LOL

A few millimeters larger is usually a game changer... that things is about 200% bigger
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a huge difference... I don't think a 1.5L would spool an impeller wheel that large... is this just a blown up photo on the right hand side. If not... LOL

A few millimeters larger is usually a game changer... that things is about 200% bigger
Because I apparently have too much time on my hands I'm going to throw out an estimate, on the assumption that the photo provided is an OEM compressor wheel vs the "upgrade" wheel, side by side. I *think* the OEM compressor wheel has an exducer of approximately 52mm. I'm estimating the other one to be about 66mm. If that is the case, it's about a 27% increase. The "new" wheel looks like it would be significant taller if you laid them both down flat. All of this guessing may be a waste of time but we get to speculate until Vit puts more out there for us.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
So when's that damn clutchcoming? Lol. I got a friend who is "good acquaintances" with somebody who does this sort of thing and asked them about the civic and has been on my case since then "Buy the crv turbo man and send it to them. Get the upgrade. Be the first!" Lol.

This is definitely on my to do list but don't really want the ability to make MORE power when we can ALREADY make more than we can hold. I need the clutch to be a reality... Lol

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Guys, its not that big...lol. Its just the angle of the picture.

Now, I have no idea how big the stock wheel is, but lets assume 40mm inducer since its a 13g.

So Ill get out my MS-Paint ruler....the wheel on the right appears to be ~20% larger (very roughly lol)

That puts us at 44mm inducer...about the size of a td05-16g. This turbo is easily capable of 300whp.

A 2.0 at 8.5:1 compression with no VCT/VVT/VVL will spool a 16g by 3500rpm. Our little motor is only a 1.5, sure, but we also have 10.5:1 compression and VCT on both sides...Not to mention the turbo is bolted directly to the damn cylinder head. I don't think we will be that far behind.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
You may experience some fitment issues if you're going to try putting that compressor into a TD03 housing. :rolleyes:
LoL you clearly know something more than we do... after we've measured, and remeasured and are machining it.

So when's that damn clutchcoming? Lol. I got a friend who is "good acquaintances" with somebody who does this sort of thing and asked them about the civic and has been on my case since then "Buy the crv turbo man and send it to them. Get the upgrade. Be the first!" Lol.

This is definitely on my to do list but don't really want the ability to make MORE power when we can ALREADY make more than we can hold. I need the clutch to be a reality... Lol
Clutch is on it's way too. It's a lot of $$$ to be the "first". Tooling has to be made to make this upgrade, it's not just a wheel swap lol.

Guys, its not that big...lol. Its just the angle of the picture.

Now, I have no idea how big the stock wheel is, but lets assume 40mm inducer since its a 13g.

So Ill get out my MS-Paint ruler....the wheel on the right appears to be ~20% larger (very roughly lol)

That puts us at 44mm inducer...about the size of a td05-16g. This turbo is easily capable of 300whp.

A 2.0 at 8.5:1 compression with no VCT/VVT/VVL will spool a 16g by 3500rpm. Our little motor is only a 1.5, sure, but we also have 10.5:1 compression and VCT on both sides...Not to mention the turbo is bolted directly to the damn cylinder head. I don't think we will be that far behind.
This turbo will be good for another 100hp over what we've got. So depending on fuel & motor limitations, expected 300-340whp capability. Past that we'll have to explore other options, but I think a drop in turbo that can make 300hp easily is going to be a good bang.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This turbo will be good for another 100hp over what we've got. So depending on fuel & motor limitations, expected 300-340whp capability. Past that we'll have to explore other options, but I think a drop in turbo that can make 300hp easily is going to be a good bang.

Does that mean the internals will handle the extra power with no problems?

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
With the slower spool of a larger turbo, we wont see as much rod-bending low end torque , but will be able to hold full boost till redline. If anything a larger turbo should be easier on the motor as long as you stay within its limits.

Personally I would still tune for ~275tq peak and then ramp the boost to get some more power out of it...Id think it should be perfectly safe at 300whp.

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
With the slower spool of a larger turbo, we wont see as much rod-bending low end torque , but will be able to hold full boost till redline. If anything a larger turbo should be easier on the motor as long as you stay within its limits.

Personally I would still tune for ~275tq peak and then ramp the boost to get some more power out of it...Id think it should be perfectly safe at 300whp.
So much for a Type R.Our 1.5-t is gonna be the type V.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots

Does that mean the internals will handle the extra power with no problems?
The stock motor was holding nearly 300wtq in our testing with the tiny turbo. All mid range too.

This. 300whp @ 6000rpm is about 270tq. We actually run a raised rev limiter (7k) on our test car, which contrary to some "opinion" I saw posted recently, is perfectly safe and hasn't float any valves on our car. We'll see how this new turbo performs -- the goal is to get us a better top end and hold power to 6600-6800 rpm, which should make this one quick little car.

16civicFLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-TL, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
All this talk what about for the cvt...? Lol how much do you think it will be able to handle..is it worth the upgraded Turbo?? @VitViper
Sponsored